Watkins & Shepard Trucking Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Youngstown, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Youngstown, OH

I worked at Watkins & Shepard Trucking full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I did my driver training with WS when they had the four-week school, and the training I received was second to none. So grateful for that experience. I drove for them for 3 years - both OTR and LTL - and if I wanted to get back into trucking I would definitely consider working for them again. At WS you are a face, not a number. People in every department are helpful and friendly. Mechanics are great. Being paid odometer miles is appreciated, as well as stop pay. I made good money there doing LTL. (Local/LTL routes are desirable and are offered to current drivers when available.) I appreciate the level of independence they give their drivers. Do your job and nobody breathes down your back. Also appreciated is the respect they have for drivers to make their own judgement calls about their situations. The Safety Dept had my back several times. ("No, I am not going into Buffalo under a winter storm warning to deliver one chair that can easily be sent out again on Monday." "Good call." "Thanks.")

Cons

Really, nothing is perfect but this company works hard to do things right. I have no complaints worth mentioning. It used to be hard for eastern-based drivers to get back east if sent west, but last I worked there that had changed: eastern and western drivers remain mostly own their own side of the country unless requested. I miss paper logs, but every company is required to be electronic now. At least it protects drivers from any pressure to push the limits of what's legal. Personally I never had a problem with that at WS. Anytime I said I didn't have the hours to do something my assignment was adjusted with no issue. My worst experience there was actually the fault of a local repair shop near my home terminal, not WS's fault.

Advice to Management

None. It's been a few years since I've worked there, and through friends it sounds like things have only gone in a positive direction.

"Terrible Employer"

Former Employee - Shipping/Freight Handler in Conover, NC
    Former Employee - Shipping/Freight Handler in Conover, NC

I worked at Watkins & Shepard Trucking (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of hours with no respect from management if you need a day off because you are sick. Good work out.

Cons

Everything possible, you don't know what time you will be getting off work each night. Many of your co-workers are drug addicts who are also your "partner" who is held accountable for transferring the furniture to the appropriate place, and being that they are drug addicts, they will mess up quite frequently and cause you to have bad numbers for your work efficiency due to the fact you must waste time to locate the piece that was misplaced and then take it to its proper place. Have fun living the nightmare here. They also don't pay you any where near industry standard. They flat out don't care about their bottom line, end of story. Search elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Quit and let the real leaders in your company run the business. You are despicable and do not care about your bottom line.

"Truck Driver"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, WA

I worked at Watkins & Shepard Trucking (Less than a year)

Pros

- Not a huge carrier (see cons below)
    - Accommodating, generally friendly dispatch and helpful driver liaison
    - No requirement to spend weeks on the road with a stranger while learning the ropes
    - Relatively independent to make decisions, just be on time.

Cons

- It's over the road truck driving, so if your new to it, be prepared (seriously).
    - Recently sold to Schneider National, so that could change things in the future
    - The pay really isn't all it's cracked up to be--you get paid when you roll
    - Wish Ray Kuntz had come up with a succession plan, rather than selling out

Advice to Management

Recently sold out to Schneider National, don't know much about how the company will be managed in the future.

Jul 25, 2016 – Manager of Recruiting

We are now a division of Schneider. Looks like we will continue as Watkins and Shepard but just with the backing of Schneider to help us get better.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Company Driver in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Company Driver in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Watkins & Shepard Trucking full-time

Pros

What a great company to work for! I started with Watkins a few years ago and against my better judgement left. Well needless to say I'm back at Watkins after being gone for 2 years. They treat people like humans here. Your a name and a face to dispatch not just a number.

Cons

The only 2 things that I can think of would be changing the insurance plans and match 401k. But besides that it's great here!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing!

Jun 23, 2016 – Manager of Recruiting

Thank you. Looking at the 401k

5. "Good to work at"

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Watkins & Shepard Trucking full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Feel like family that's extended

Cons

Nothing. No cons here I love it

Advice to Management

Love u guys

Jun 23, 2016 – Manager of Recruiting

Glad to have you with us

"driver"

Former Employee - OTR Driver in Missoula, MT
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in Missoula, MT

I worked at Watkins & Shepard Trucking full-time

Pros

keeps you busy, fuel bonus, employee friendly, weekly settlements, they have many terminals and yards around the country

Cons

safety ratings has been bad at times was nearly shut down a couple of years ago.some yards are not paved making them sloppy in the wintertime

Advice to Management

need to continue upgrading equipment (trailers especially) shops and yards are messy not well organized.

Apr 22, 2016 – Manager of Recruiting

Been upgrading the equipment all road trucks will be 3 years or less in a couple months, added 800 new trailer in the last 3 years and retired old ones. The yards are still a challenge been upgrading... More

"Plan for short term corporate position"

Current Employee - Montana in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - Montana in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Watkins & Shepard Trucking full-time

Pros

Laid back environment. They rarely hassle anyone about taking breaks. Very accommodating of schedules. They are updating lots of systems. Everything from phones & computers to the trucks. Ray Kuntz is awesome.

Cons

Long term corporate employee are less valued than new employees. You are much better off keeping this a short term job. Almost no opportunities for advancement. No 401k matching.

Advice to Management

Evaluate the costs of training new employees and losing most of the institutional knowledge that has built up over time.

Feb 26, 2016 – Manager of Recruiting

Your opinions are appreciated.

"First Start"

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver (Over the Road Truck Driver) in Williston, ND

I worked at Watkins & Shepard Trucking (More than a year)

Pros

Willing to give a new driver a start, excellent training before putting you behind the wheel of a tractor, great dispatchers, mostly drop & hook loads and great support network.

Cons

Using electronic logs and switch to VOLVO automatics.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Dec 9, 2015 – Manager of Recruiting

Thank you we do try. The automatics have been well received across the fleet. It is an adjustment but people come to love them especially when driving in heavy traffic. Electronic logs are going to... More

"Family Style Employer"

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Watkins & Shepard Trucking full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have driven for 5 different companies in 19 years of being a Truck Driver (14 of them here). This company continues to maintain an environment of openness and friendliness between office staff and drivers. When you call in they know you by your voice. Everyone is easy to talk to, including upper management. Whenever I have a problem it is addressed right away without being given the brushoff or disregarded. For the most part I have never had any problem getting home when I need to. This is very important to me as I was in the Army Reserves. In the 7 years was in the Reserves I only missed one drill because they couldn't get me home. I know of another driver that was in this situation and they offered to fly him home (advance him the money) then back to his truck so he could make it to drill.

Cons

They have set up the trucks where they can not idle at certain temperatures. Unless they will provide APU's this is a bad idea from a drivers perspective. Just because the outside temperature is one thing, it will always be hotter inside the truck, making it uncomfortable or impossible to sleep.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the idle shut off. Hold dispatchers more responsible to make sure no driver sits without a load, sometimes 2 days is understandable but not 5 or 7. Look into increasing layover pay, instead of just $100 per day, increase to $125, &150 etc. for each consecutive day.

Nov 30, 2015 – Manager of Recruiting

We appreciate the feed back. It will be passed on.

"Trucking 101"

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Watkins & Shepard Trucking full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for crappy companies and Watkins does it the right way. Great people great support and always a friendly atmosphere

Cons

I heard were going to start having our engines turn off at certain temps. I am hoping some eone looks at this with driver in mind not a machine, I just see bad things coming if we do this.

Advice to Management

we need a show and shine competition, some of us are proud of what we do

Jul 7, 2015 – Manager of Recruiting

Thank you. We'll pass on your concerns and suggestion on the Pride and Polish.