Waukesha County Technical College Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kaylen M. Betzig

1. "Great Asset to the community Student centered !!"

I have been working at Waukesha County Technical College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Focused on student learning and a culture of collaboration. Committed faculty working together - administration cares deeply about faculty and students.

Cons

Working to get more classes on line and hybrid - this is a student need and desire. Time frame of classes sometime difficult fo faculty and students alike. Split days .. back to back schedules etc...

Advice to Management

Continue enhancing a positive culture focused on students and inspiring us to live out values by how we impact student learning daily.

2. "WCTC a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pewaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pewaukee, WI

I have been working at Waukesha County Technical College (More than 5 years)

Pros

The ability to work with knowledgeable colleagues, share resources, and help students achieve their potential to be successful contributors to the workplace.

Cons

As with any organization there are some challenges; however, WCTC provides opportunities for staff, faculty and administrators to work collaboratively.

Advice to Management

Create non-faculty advancement opportunities for employees who seek more responsibility, but do not desire to teach.

3. "Adjunct faculty"

Former Employee - Part Time Instructor in Pewaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Part Time Instructor in Pewaukee, WI

I worked at Waukesha County Technical College part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was very rewarding to work with students that really wanted to be there and grow and achieve their goals. It was also wonderful to work with the other competent and dedicated faculty in the department.

Cons

Communication amongst upper management and part time staff was unacceptable. My pay rate was reduced $9/hr with the defense from hr and senior leadership at the college telling me it was my fault for not getting an email sent a year earlier. With multiple required Inservices transporting, there was ample opportunity to address the change of certification requirements that they claimed justified my reduction to a rate that was below what I was hired at five years prior. In addition, the college seems to have lost focus on producing quality graduates that have earned their degree through hard work and determination as opposed to learning how to manipulate and inimitable the system. The college has shifted their focus from quality to quality. Very sad.

Advice to Management

Improve your communication with faculty and support them to allow and encourage them to produce high quality students again.

5. "Generally a good place to work, not for me"

Current Employee - Web Assistant in Pewaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Web Assistant in Pewaukee, WI

I have been working at Waukesha County Technical College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, employees I've spoken to in most departments seem to enjoy the job very much. (IT is different). The pay is fairly competitive.

Cons

In my particular department, there were a number of things that were not disclosed during the interview process that would have swayed me away from accepting the position, namely that my particular department offers ZERO flexibility for just about any reason in your first year. I was told beforehand that important travel arrangements would be accommodated; that turned out to be a "miscommunication", if not an outright lie. If you have such plans, get them in writing PRIOR to accepting the position. Again, it's not entirely a bad place to work, the level of respect and accommodations you're afforded depends heavily on your supervisor. Be very careful and ask lots of questions. And don't work in IT.

Advice to Management

Be honest and up front with your initial restrictions and probationary periods. You're wasting peoples' time by offering a completely different company culture than represented externally.

6. "Tech College"

Current Employee - WISCONSIN in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - WISCONSIN in Waukesha, WI

Pros

Benefits, vacation, pay is competitive for the field.
    Try hard to keep up with industry needs.

Cons

Like other education entities, some things can be slow to change - especially in regards to employee culture.

7. "I have gained a lot of great experience by working at WCTC and helping to improve the campus."

Current Employee - Student Work Study in Pewaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Student Work Study in Pewaukee, WI

I have been working at Waukesha County Technical College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All of the staff are very friendly, helpful and go out of their way to assist me.

Cons

I haven't experienced any negative situations besides the occasional punk student.

"Programmer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

Pros

none so far, offer relocation fee and pay rate is ok

Cons

Macro Management, lack of management, no on-board training , all is mess-up.

"Keep your expectations low."

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Pewaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Pewaukee, WI

I have been working at Waukesha County Technical College part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay for part time, professional employment.

Cons

Adjunct faculty treated like second class citizens.

10. "A very professional group offering vital services targeted to a specific audience"

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor

Pros

Support after hire is outstanding

Cons

Marketing of class offerings is still under development. Some polish is still needed

"Education Career"

Former Employee - Technical Assistant in Pewaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Assistant in Pewaukee, WI

I worked at Waukesha County Technical College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits were untouchable (at the time, before Act 10)
    Decent pay for job requirements

Cons

Internal candidates need not apply

Advice to Management

Look at the talent you have and be willing to promote those individuals who are good fits to new or open positions.