Wave Life Sciences Reviews

Wave Life Sciences President and Chief Executive Officer Paul Bolno, M.D., MBA
Paul Bolno, M.D., MBA
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great company with good benefits

Aug 31, 2020 - Quality Control Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work-life balance, benefits, pay, great co-workers

Cons

None is a great place to work

Administrative Assistant HR/Legal

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! We are pleased to hear you had a positive experience at Wave.

2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Space for professional growth and recognition

Feb 18, 2021 - Research Associate II in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, benefits, culture, recognition and growth

Cons

management, mass layoff, paycheck could be better (compared to market)

Administrative Assistant HR/Legal

We are pleased to hear you are satisfied with our benefits and recognition programs, as well as our rich company culture. Wave’s compensation philosophy is pay for performance, and based on the competitive market for talent in our industry. While Wave experienced a reduction in force in February 2020, we are currently growing our workforce and remain excited about our unique platform technology and robust pipeline. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and suggestions!

3. 3.0

It was ok

Feb 16, 2021 - Research Associate in Lexington, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people that worked there was cool. Always had a good chat with good people at lunch time.

Cons

There is not much progression at RA level

Administrative Assistant HR/Legal

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! We are pleased that you found Wave to be an engaging workplace. However, we are sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations for career development and appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention!

4. 4.0

Good experience

Nov 13, 2020 - Legal/Human Resources Administrative Assistant in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

great onboarding good company culture good benefits strong employee engagement

Cons

don't have many cons to report

5. 5.0

Enormous growth opportunities

Oct 29, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I joined Wave about 4-5 months ago, and I was blown away but the supportive, collegial, and scientifically rigorous environment. This is a company that truly keeps patients and families front and center. Decisions are constantly tested by what is best for the communities we want to serve. Senior management is accessible (they sit at one long table in our open floor plan), passionate and encourages new ideas. Senior leaders in the departments have the same approach. And the scientific advancement potential with the PRISM platform is huge. I feel like I’ve learned more and grown more here in a few months than I did in years in former jobs. Also great perks here - flexibility to work from home or different offices, fully covered medical premium, competitive compensation, free catered lunch every day, etc. I am so happy I found this company!

Cons

The company is spaced between two offices - one in Cambridge and one in Lexington. I would prefer to all be in one location. But the company makes it easy to get between locations and encourages face to face meetings when possible - which helps us not feel like separate offices.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

excellent first job

Mar 2, 2020 - Associate Process Engineer in Lexington, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I really enjoyed the culture at Wave. My team was a pleasure to work with, the people I encountered across departments were generally very friendly and helpful. I was satisfied with my starting salary and the other benefits were good. The pipeline is exciting, it seems like promising technology.

Cons

The executive team were not completely forthcoming when the drug Suvodirsen failed stage 2/3 clinical trials, initially saying there would be no layoffs and that the budget for the year was secure. Two months later they changed their tune and laid off 22% of the workforce. The company is run in an extremely top-down manner, it could benefit from some stakeholder analysis and by incorporating feedback from middle management.

Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback and are happy to hear you had a great experience working at Wave.

7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good Company and Great people to work with.

Jun 5, 2020 - Scientist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Catered lunch is always nice. Amazing co-workers.

Cons

Lack of direction and focus. Decisions are made that hurt the company

Administrative Assistant HR/Legal

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our intentional, lively company culture in which you reap the benefits of catered lunch. Your suggestion to strengthen communication between upper managements and employees is appreciated. We are sorry to hear you feel decisions are made to hurt the company and that we lack a pointed direction. However, Wave’s focus remains to enable every patient with a genetic disease to have access to life-changing treatments in their lifetime. We will continue to make decisions to further that goal. We believe that the continued evolution of our PRISM discovery and drug development platform will yield new opportunities to make a difference in the lives of countless rare disease patients and their families.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great collaboration & leadership

May 21, 2020 - Associate Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, Science, Motivated team, Leadership, Culture

Cons

Can do better on salaries

Administrative Assistant HR/Legal

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback! We are pleased to hear you were satisfied with Wave’s unique benefits and strong company culture.

9. 5.0

Great place to work!

Nov 14, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are a lot of reasons why Wave Life Sciences is one of the best places to work. The science, people, pipeline, flexibility, location, personal development, 100% covered medical premium, and free lunch are just to name a few! Getting started in this organization was very easy due to all of the helpful team members. I am so glad I made the choice to join Wave and can't wait to see what 2020 brings!

Cons

The only con I can think of is we need more large conference rooms in Cambridge.

2 people found this review helpful

Senior Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review about your experience at Wave. We're pleased your assimilation with us has been successful and we're happy that you're taking advantage of our competitive benefits programs. As the organization continues to grow, we'll be looking at space planning for the future to determine what makes sense for the company and of course, our employees. We are a very collaborative and team oriented culture and we also look forward to 2020!

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Smart and dedicated scientific team at growing company

Nov 10, 2018 - Scientist I in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Scientists are smart, hard-working, and thoughtful Excellent culture and collaborative work environment, especially in the lab Tremendous drug discovery progress, very rapidly, due to robust core technology Friendly and competent employees across most of the company Competitive compensation and benefits Sound IP/scientific foundation for the company Exciting growth for the company, esp through internal programs and partnerships Abundant cash (so far) to pursue new ideas, take risks Decent work-life balance

Cons

Upper management tends to make extravagant claims and promises about what our company will deliver (e.g.number of new disease programs, new INDs) on very short timelines. This trickles down to middle management taking a demanding tone, rushing results from the scientists. The scientists attempt to hold on to their integrity and honestly communicate about obstacles and challenges, but certainly feel the squeeze. Perhaps this is common in many early-stage/pre-clinical biotech companies? There is a somewhat notable attrition rate (folks across the company leaving for other opportunities) - suggesting not everyone is satisfied.

6 people found this review helpful