Wawa Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wawa CEO Chris Gheysens
Chris Gheysens

Pros
Cons
  • Hyper "Retail Atmosphere" meaning ZERO work life balance for managers (in 35 reviews)

• Being a 24/7/365 facility causes some stress for families during the holidays, but the associates like the double time pay for Christmas (in 30 reviews)

"Pay is great, but once in management, you're their slave."

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Emmaus, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Emmaus, PA

I worked at Wawa full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay. Decent benefits. Very busy, and you'll never get bored. Regular customers can give a family environment. Lot's of opportunity to move up internally.

Cons

You're expected to drive to other stores off the clock before and after your shift. You need to be available 24/7, and drop what you are doing if there is a call off. Called in when on vacation. And once you hit 40 hours, you're expected to complete all paperwork off the clock.
    Not enough labor to keep up with high customer demands, and tasks.
    No respect from upper management.
    High expectations on internal audits.

Advice to Management

Stop expecting Management and associates to drive around off the clock with no mileage reimbursement. Let your managers manage, and bring more labor into run the stores, it will decrease high turnover.

"Heartless company"

Former Employee - General Manager in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Wawa full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and hours. That's about it from this lying company. Do not believe anything they say about family values or how much they care about you

Cons

Heartless upper management. They preach family values but it's only for show. If you are a GM that they like then you will be ok. Some managers get away with stealing and not doing their job. Not consistent at all. Terrible heartless company

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Stop making people believe you care about family

"csa"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate (CSA) in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate (CSA) in Orlando, FL

Pros

great benefits, great pay, vacation

Cons

Poor Management, I got hired in Dec. 2016 when I got hired the General Manager knew I had a full-time job and I was only available on weekends. With open availability on Saturday & Sunday's and per OCPS school calendar when there's no school I have open availability. When I got hired I feel like I wasn't properly trained to understand what WAWA real expectation are for me to fulfill my job duties. I got thrown on the register my 2nd day of working with being trained correctly and coming in even asked could I stay later then my time or called into work so I thought. The supervisors don't want to take blame for anything so they blame you. They don't delegate the task evenly. They expect for the cashier to do 100 things in 4 hours and rang up customers.

Advice to Management

train management to respect others. train management the work supposed to be team work not because I'm in management I don't have to do anything.

4. "A day in the life of the little guy"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lanoka Harbor, NJ

I worked at Wawa full-time

Pros

Fast pace, very busy so time goes fast

Cons

Cut in hours. Not always fair either.

Advice to Management

More attention needs to be paid to the employees needs. Veteran employees hours are being cut as well as everyone else, with no regard to what the employee has invested and also to what their daily bills are. Its a disgrace.

"favoritism is an understatement!!!!"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Rehoboth Beach, DE
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Rehoboth Beach, DE

I have been working at Wawa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For a management position a mostly 40 work week is great. That's pretty much where it ends.

Cons

You will always have some sort of favoritism everywhere you go but this place is next level. It's truly unbelievable how right out in the open it is. You have people getting promoted entirely based on who likes them instead of the job they do or should I say don't do. There is clearly 2 sets of rules within the stores and in region 7. it's a total waste of time staying if you aren't a favorite and that's just being completely honest. I've seen people get stepped over not knowing they've been stepped over and interviewed for a position that everyone already knew someone else had been given the job but the poor guy who wasn't getting it and that's just one example. I have years of store management back round and higher but there are people that are gm's and agm's right now that I wouldn't even hire as a department manager.You can read this review and believe me or not but at least someone here was completely honest about what goes on and you'll see if you work in the beach area.

Advice to Management

If I honestly thought what I had to say would make a difference I would pick the phone up and call today but this isn't my first job and I understand that as an off the street hire who has only been with the company a year who is going to and who isn't going to be given the benefit of doubt and the fact I even have to feel that way is a problem. You have an entire group of people who feel entitled and they think because they are long term employees they don't have to work and they will complain and everyone gives in regardless of the fact they are lazy, wrong, and aren't doing a good job or even just their good in general.

6. "Fuel associate"

Former Employee - Fuel Associate in Sicklerville, NJ
    Former Employee - Fuel Associate in Sicklerville, NJ

I worked at Wawa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a good part time job

Cons

Managers are to young for the stress of the job

Advice to Management

Care more

"Its nice... at first"

Current Employee - CSA in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - CSA in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Wawa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay rate, Multiple positions, flexibility, PTO

Cons

Do not care about employees
    Hires new people at a higher rate than you
    does not promote from within as much as they claim

Advice to Management

care more about your emplyees

8. "Soul sucking"

Former Employee - Inventory & Merchandise Manager in Audubon, NJ
    Former Employee - Inventory & Merchandise Manager in Audubon, NJ

I worked at Wawa full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Willing to give opportunities, great for networking in the community.

Cons

Too many hours, nights and weekends but all hell breaks loose if you want a day off.

Advice to Management

Listen to yoyr employees, be aware of the areas you send them to.

"Not worth it"

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Feasterville Trevose, PA
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Feasterville Trevose, PA

I worked at Wawa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits after a year...

Cons

The labor management is a joke, if you plan on working there be prepared to do the work of 5 people. Which should make you look good right? Wrong! You'll have managers make excuses why you can't move up or get a pay raise, let alone any respect or appreciation. Meanwhile management does the work of 0.5 workers and most of the time asked me how to do the things they are supposed to. It's a bad place to work unless you can convince yourself that 5 people's worth of work is worth doing for crap pay

Advice to Management

Use bigger teams. Teams of 3 to 4 workers is crap for all the work that Wawa consists of. If you are gonna have high standards then you need the staff to accommodate. Pretty soon Wawa is just gonna be a place to go to get sick since everyone I have worked at has terrible hygene and food handling training and discipline. You need an HR advisor per store if you ask me since nobody does anything about the problems that happen at every Wawa. I personally know of 3-5 people managers to GMs who have gotten fired for sexual harassment but it took way too many complaints and jumping thru hoops to get that done but it goes down to the smaller things that makes businesses run smooth and Wawa has the image it can do that, in reality I wouldn't risk eating there anymore for anything.

"General manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Wawa (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary is commensurate with experience

Cons

Unethical conduct of upper management

Advice to Management

Management is the problem, devoid of character, honor, should be under federal investigation