Wawanesa Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Jeff Goy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits that are paid for by the company such as: (in 6 reviews)

• Great people; excellent benefits, open to ideas (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor customer service training and bad management (in 7 reviews)

• No room to grow or be promoted unless you're friends with management (in 6 reviews)

1. "Claims adjuster"

I have been working at Wawanesa Insurance full-time

Pros

Supportive and cooperative work environment. Great trsining program and great culture!

Cons

Technical systems a bit out of date and glitchy

2. "Worked in CA location"

I worked at Wawanesa Insurance full-time

Pros

The company is very focused on community involvement and support. I was impressed at the charities they assisted and encouraged employees to contribute volunteer hours at community events. They were supportive of a healthy work life balance and had excellent benefits.

Cons

As I was leaving, they were overhauling their business practices and shifting employee hours and job duties. There was a bunch of turmoil, and I am unsure how it shook out.

"OK for people with Insurance knowledge & no life"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Wawanesa Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company paid benefits for the employee
    Decent pay for entry level jobs

Cons

Systems are out of date
    Customers very unsatisfied w/ service
    Very micro-managed
    Poor communication throughout the company
    Training is poor - Agents don't know what they are doing - Luckily I came to this company with insurance knowledge otherwise I would be screwed
    The turn over rate is over 45% !!!! People have no clue what they are getting into

Advice to Management

Update your systems to a more user friendly version
    Update your App for customers
    Send out the paperwork on time!!!
    Give employees the option to work from home

4. "Claims"

Current Employee - Claims in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Wawanesa Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Company that appears to care about their employees

Cons

Management has no leadership. Never seem to address any issues other than talking about how they should address the issues.

Advice to Management

Step outside of your bubble & see that you're failing.

"Claims rep 1"

I worked at Wawanesa Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beside your fellow co-workers who become your friends and life line there is NO PROs

Cons

-micro manage, the common phrases used is "on the radar" once your on anyone else's radar your pretty much going to be stressed/ pushed out of the company
    - Upper management and supervisors are all inconsistent which can be bad for you espically during monthly claim audits
    -claims overload, 5+ claims a day and they still want a pending of 55 at the end of the month
    - work environment, everyone is always stressed out the whole vibe is all just bad. That's why they have a VERY high turn over rate and you do feel it in claims

-also you have to park across the street after so many months or year your invited to park in the parking lot. Security will tell you to move your car if you don't follow rule

Advice to Management

-first things first clean house on management/ supervisors. When you have a upper manager know on the claims floor as the she-devil then maybe you should remove them.
    -also get a better training program because yours sucks. You spend more time reading and making scenarios then you do on the actual claims and then when you do it's rush rush rush.
    - HR when you have someone complain about management don't tell the person complaining they just misinterpreted what was said. Epcaially when the complaint was about the other persons actions not words! (Legal action will be the outcome if you don't properly handle situations )

-Canada come down and fix this
    company

Those looking here to work don't be fooled by the pay espically when your going to be to stressed out/tired to even enjoy it. There are better insurance companies to work for!

"Claims"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wawanesa Insurance full-time

Pros

Company has good growth. New job opening cater for entry level applicants.

Cons

Employees and upper Management are stuck in old traditional management ways not being competitive with present economic conditions. Very low pay. Bad customer service.

Advice to Management

Hire more knowledgeable staff .

"Has potential, but falls short"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Wawanesa Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Co workers are amazing, that's really where the support system comes from
    -Pay and benefits are amazing
    -Location is great, at least for me
    -Hours of operation aren't that bad
    -The culture isn't that bad. I feel like management does care but that's there's just so much going on it'so hard for them to provide the attention and support that they could/should

Cons

-So behind technology wise! Our jobs as reps would be a good 75% easier if all they did is update the phone tree, phone system in general and website!
    -Too many changes as one time-I get that we need to change, honestly I'm not sure how they got away with out changing for so long but baby steps! They made so many changes at one time and are now scrambling around because call volumes are horrible and we as reps are basically at our breaking points.
    -CONSISTENCY! You get trained one way in training and then you get to your supervisor and they tell you oh no, that's not how we do it. Then don't let your supervisor be gone for what ever reason and someone else needs to do your reviews, then you have a whole different set of expecitations. It's a mess!
    -Some of management is super helpful and approachable, others I actively avoid. I've literally had a supervisor walk up to me because he noticed I was off the phones an extended period of time and when he asked if I needed help I said yes he just blinked and said oh I'm not sure how to fix that but you need to get back on the phones and walked away. Seriously?!?!? If you aren't there to help or support me why in the world are you in a leadership position?!?!??!

Advice to Management

While we appreciate you are hiring more people it won't do any good if you don't fix what's wrong. The people you have are going to continue to leave which is going to make the new hires skittish and they won't even make it to their 90 days... we've been watching that happen for months now.

Also, listen to the reps! Please ask our opinions more, take surveys, actually sit in and listen to our calls. Look at the things the customers are saying on social media. People seem to generally love Wawanesa but because of all the well needed but poorly timed changes our reputation has suffered and the people who have to deal with it are the agents who get yelled at and belittled all day long for 8+ hours a day. It is starting to wear down on us, morale is low. Please do something about it!

"Good company but still room to improve"

Current Employee - Underwriter in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Wawanesa Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, PTO
    Regular pay increases based on performance evaluations - fair and consistent
    Growing company

Cons

Understaffed
    Not enough trainers
    Slow system, all answers and solutions seem to be in Canada

Advice to Management

Corporate expectations need to be more realistic. Rate increases are warranted but do not mix well with majorly flawed system and shortage of well-trained, knowledgeable service staff.

9. "Supervisor"

I have been working at Wawanesa Insurance full-time

Pros

Great people; excellent benefits, open to ideas

Cons

None really for me so far very fair and wants to do well by everyone

10. "Claims"

Current Employee - Claims in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Wawanesa Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive work environment, great people, the company is growing and if you work hard there is a lot of room for advancement.

Cons

The company is growing so there is a lot of work to be done. This isn't really a con though if you enjoy keeping busy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the supportive work environment and keep encouraging your employees to work towards promotions.