Waxing the City Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Robin Schoh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I would be hard pressed to find another company with better education, people to work with, career advancement, and overall amazing work environment (in 8 reviews)

• The free waxes is a nice little perk (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits and no time off and you don't really get proper training (in 4 reviews)

• There are no cons at this location (in 4 reviews)

1. "Wonderful atmosphere!"

Current Employee - Cerologist in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Cerologist in Duluth, MN

I have been working at Waxing the City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Waxing the City is genuinely the best job I've ever had. Our boss is one of the most understanding people I've ever met, and all she wants is for us to be happy where we are. She treats with respect every single day and would never intentionally try to undermine us or work us to death just for the money. All of the other co-workers are wonderful and we get along really well! We really are a family here, and we are always working on our communication skills with each other. The training for this job is amazing and we are always doing additional training with each other. When you accept a job with Waxing the City you immediately become part of the family.

Cons

As with any job there are bumps in the road and bad days, but even those aren't so bad when we decide to just talk it through and let it go. Sometimes it will get busy and we'll get stressed out but that is usually easily mended when we all help each other out.

2. "Best Part Time Job EVER!"

Current Employee - Studio Coordinator in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Studio Coordinator in Duluth, MN

I have been working at Waxing the City part-time

Pros

I am a full time graduate student and work at Waxing The City Duluth part time. I can honestly say that this has been one of the most positive work environments that I have ever worked in. My boss is extremely supportive of my dreams of becoming a health care practitioner and is very accommodating to my rigorous course schedule. Her support and positive energy, as well as the friendliness of all of the staff makes Waxing The City a fun, inviting environment to be in. I have never met an employer that cares more for her staff and clients. I look forward to coming into work because it such a fun environment to work in. The free waxes are also an awesome perk to working here.

Cons

We close at 4:00pm on Saturdays! I wish we could be open a little longer.

"Management doesn’t care."

Former Employee - Cerologist in Duluth, MN
    Former Employee - Cerologist in Duluth, MN

I worked at Waxing the City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, fun employees, passionate about the job

Cons

Management cares more about making themselves money than the well-being of the employees.

Advice to Management

Take into consideration that your employees feel extremely used, unimportant, and like robots. All you see are the dollar signs, not the hard working, creative, talented people behind them.

"Cerologist/Waxing specialist"

I worked at Waxing the City full-time

Pros

Great experience
    Personal growth
    Hourly pay is better than average

Cons

Cliques
    Horrible management
    Lack of communication
    Fire you for having to have surgery and then blame it on performance.
    No room to grow with the company
    Plays favorites

Advice to Management

Get new ones

"Just don’t."

Former Employee - Cerologist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Cerologist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Waxing the City (Less than a year)

Pros

My co workers were amazing.

Cons

Low Pay, unorganized franchise company

Advice to Management

Management was fine, the franchise company is awful!(DO NOT WORK FOR MIDWEST FRANCHISE.) Please leave he beauty industry!

6. "Cons outweigh the Pros"

Current Employee - Studio Coordinator
    Current Employee - Studio Coordinator

I have been working at Waxing the City (More than a year)

Pros

Some perks include free waxes

Cons

Bad attitude in management, poor pay, unrealistic hours, make you feel guilty for having to take off

"Eh, wouldn't recommend"

Former Employee - Licensed Esthetician
    Former Employee - Licensed Esthetician

I worked at Waxing the City (Less than a year)

Pros

can be good for new Estheticians out of school to gain confidence and practice waxing
    I made awesome friendships I've kept even since leaving
    Upbeat and bright atmosphere with good music
    Free waxing services

Cons

Low pay, had trouble paying bills and having money to live while working over 40 hours
    Sooo much extra work to make up for poor management
    Absolutely no organization
    Feel like just a body that could be replaced

Advice to Management

Of course it can vary from franchise to franchise, but in my experience this job was a waste of time and energy. Owners, you neeeeed knowledge of the esthetics industry before getting into this as a business. Treat your employees as human beings and pay them as people who went to school to learn this trade, stop low balling quality people to save yourself money because you will lose them. Listen to your employees ideas, opinions and advice because some of it has merit and can make everyone's lives easier. Lastly, be organized and do your part. Stop dropping your responsibilities onto employees who were not hired as managers.

"Cerologist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Waxing the City full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great location, offers clients 50% off first service to draw them in, new and clean.

Cons

They pay 8-10$ an hour. No benefits. Theres no breaks unless clients no show or cancel, the owner micromanages from home. She screams and yells at employees like they are garbage and uses personal information to her advantage.

Advice to Management

You can't expect respect if you don't give it.. value your workers and what they do since you both are not licensed in Esthetics. Stop stalking your customers on the internet.

"Disappointing."

Former Employee - Cerologist in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Cerologist in Lakewood, CO

I worked at Waxing the City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The clients you meet make it worth while; they treat you like you're valued. The company, management, and owners do not. You're just a number and are constantly being reminded of that from the owner.

Cons

Small local business getting it's feet wet in the corporate world. Unorganized management and no standing structure from location to location. All franchise, so every owner "does their own thing". Can be high earning potential if you work five days a week at 12 hr shifts. All company marketing hurts your pocket (discount given to clients is also taken out of your commission). Never used to accept tips so that also hurts your pocket (long standing clients don't tip). You start below minimum wage for your hourly but that's ok with the company because after all you get tips, but remember what I said about tips. Don't waste your time. Go somewhere that values you.

Advice to Management

Put yourself in your employees shoes (and bank account) could you live the life you've envisioned for yourself at 22K/year?

"Worst job"

Current Employee - Studio Coordinator in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Studio Coordinator in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Waxing the City full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The clients, free waxing. That is it.

Cons

Family owned, so there is NO room for growth. They will lie to you in the interview. You have to be the bad guy and call clients about issues the manager should, but she is never there to do it. Low pay, no benefits, terrible training, lazy coworkers, no raise after a year, have to pay a little less than full price for products, commission is below industry standards so there is no way to make any money.

Advice to Management

Actually be management, it's unfair to have studio coordinators doing your job and not paying them.