Waxing the City Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • I would be hard pressed to find another company with better education, people to work with, career advancement, and overall amazing work environment (in 6 reviews)

• Great ownership and management, friendly co-workers, flexible hours, awesome products (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There are no cons at this location (in 4 reviews)

• 00 an hour only (studio coordinators make more in hourly pay) (in 3 reviews)

1. "Stress free work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Waxing the City full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The location is very community oriented, which makes it easy to build clientele. Flexible hours, good tips. Not pressured to sale products. Love the company and how they treat their employees. Longer time to complete services, get to use a meg lamp and the bed raises up so your back isn't hurting after services.

Cons

Pay isn't the best but with the high pricing services, you get better tips(which increases your overall pay)

"waxing the city review"

Current Employee - Certified Cerologist in Montclair, NJ
    Current Employee - Certified Cerologist in Montclair, NJ

I have been working at Waxing the City (Less than a year)

Pros

free waxing
    longer timing
    corporate training
    mag lamp

Cons

slow
    high turnover
    not much room for growth

"Ok"

Former Employee - Studio Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Studio Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at Waxing the City full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get free waxes which is nice. Lots of interaction with people so if you're a people person you'll like it

Cons

The pay is incredibly low and the commission is not all that. No benefits and no time off and you don't really get proper training

"HORRIBLE!!!"

Former Employee - Studio Coordinator in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Studio Coordinator in Katy, TX

I worked at Waxing the City part-time

Pros

Free waxing to employees

Cons

The company is a franchise. The location I worked at is the one in Katy. The management is horrible and I was one of the first employees there. Communication is horrible and there is favoritism. Since this was the opening of that location, everything was quite new such as the computer and technical aspect. The owner and manager expected the employees to know everything and training was self taught. If you did not know how to do something, don't bother asking questions. Most likely you will be shamed and be given the feeling that you are not that smart. The owner does not have a business or ownership mindset and and sometimes addresses the employees and a rude and blunt manner. Also, don't bet on having a set schedule or flexible hours.

"Waxing the City Lodo"

Former Employee - Cerologist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Cerologist in Denver, CO

I worked at Waxing the City (More than a year)

Pros

Great training program at Wax U. Girls were friendly. It is right off of the 16th street mall that is in walking distance.

Cons

they were going through a transitional period from small owners to franchising out and opening nation wide. There were a lot of change that were hard on the staff. They couldn't keep girls for longer than 6 months making it difficult to build clientele.

"Great Company, Horrible Owner *specifically Orlando/Jacksonville*"

Former Employee - Studio Coordinator in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Studio Coordinator in Orlando, FL

I worked at Waxing the City full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free waxing all the time
    Pretty lax dress code

Cons

The work environment here is completely unprofessional. When there aren't clients all the employees and the owner are on snapchat or tinder on their phones gossiping about men. I was constantly watched on a camera and when asked if I did something, instead of taking my word, they would go into the other room and pull up the footage while I was still there. When I attempted to make any effort to push myself forward in the company or tried to give exceptional guest service I was talked to about trying too hard and told to "calm down." I was penalized for taking one day off when I gave two weeks notice and had my shift covered and called "unreliable." Ultimately I was told "not to bother coming back" by the owner after she read my personal e-mails from my concerned parent after I received a personal check as my paycheck. She accused me of calling her a fraud and implied I stole money from the register after she, herself, shorted it and I brought it up. Overall the issue does not lie with the brand but with the franchise owner of these locations.

Advice to Management

The management here needs to grow up and learn how to provide a professional environment for their employees to work in. There is far too much drama in the studio for anyone to thrive in that place, which is why they lost two studio coordinators in the same week.

"Afraid of being fired"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Waxing the City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The first couple of months were fun. My coworkers and manager helped me when I had questions and I had my very own room. The wax is unique to the brand and easy to work with.

Cons

Upper management/owners are fake and make you feel worthless. I'm afraid that me or one of my team members will be fired when they come to the salon or even worse shut the doors to our under performing salon. People are getting fired left and right,

Advice to Management

We are good and hard working employees. You are going to lose a lot of people because you make us feel like we are never good enough.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Studio Manager in Greenwood Village, CO
    Former Employee - Studio Manager in Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at Waxing the City (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for the founding salons
    Working with the founding owners
    Having a really amazing staff
    Great benefits- health, dental, pto

Cons

Changes with franchising too much like EWC

"HONEST REVIEW"

Former Employee - Studio Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Studio Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Waxing the City part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free waxing services for employees.

Cons

Employee turn-over is pretty high at the Dallas locations (I should of took it as a red flag).

Hours: shifts are 12hrs at a time. No set hours for lunch (you will have NO TIME for lunch... good luck trying to make time without being reprimanded).

Duties: I was hired for the "studio coordinator" position. My task were extended (after getting hired) to cleaning windows, scrubbing toilet, cleaning after the waxers (yes, they can leave a mess and not once did they clean behind themselves).

Environment: Owners and staff will place blame on everyone but themselves (e.g. booking software freezes and customers get upset.. my fault.) Owners expectation are high, you are expected to be the maid, manage the front desk, take care of other people's mistakes (which they don't get blamed for) but they don't want you to make any mistakes.

Software: The booking software freezes A LOT. You'll be blamed for it keeping clients waiting if it freezes.

Staff/Owners: They seem nice at first, including the coworkers but believe me, there's more than meets the eye. They complain about everything and SEARCH for little things to fuss about. They expect you to do 5 things at once but they get frustrated when they attempt to do it themselves because they can't handle it. (e.g., I tried to take a 15 min lunch but was called back because owner couldn't handle phone calls and checking people in/out all at once, but she expected me to do it. My lunch was left cold in the break room and didn't get to eat all day! Like I said, NO LUNCH BREAKS!

I appreciate Wax In The City for giving this job to me but the pay and the work environment was not worth it. Like I said, employee turnover rate is high here. Out of 7 employee, 5 of them are new. Nobody stays (I wonder why?).

Advice to Management

Learn how to be managers. You chose favorites and let them get away with everything. You can never trust someone that smiles in your face, but talks about you behind your back, and thats exactly what you guys did. You're basically a temporary job for people that just needs a paycheck until they find something better.

"Phenominal Company; Horrible Management!"

Former Employee - Cerologist in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Cerologist in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Waxing the City part-time

Pros

I loved this company! Its an urban feel, and the colors are so calming! You are sent to Colorado to train for a week. The 2 founders of the company will train you- so will meet them! Unlike other parlors, this specific one uses both hard and soft wax, and unlike EWC, they use lavender oil for the body (except the Brazilian area).

Cons

If this location was lead by someone with a strategic plan and passion for this type of business, it would have been lovely! First and foremost, the franchisee is very rude and manipulative. Whenever she doesn't get her way, she will remind you that she is the "boss". Her arrogance is a turn off. She doesn't appreciate her cerologists. She doesn't even safe our emergency contact info. Secondly this location is never stocked. The owners are always on a budget, so there will be days when there is tissue paper on the bed (for example) instead of the bed spread that's supposed to be provided! When I worked there, we were lied to and told that we couldn't even wax one another when in reality, according to the employee handbook that she refused to give us, we were. Lastly the bathroom is always dirty and empty and she refuses to be scrappers. She rather us to get on our hands and knees and scrub the floor like slaves! There arent any promos and she lies to first time guests by making them pay full price for a brazillian instead of half. She also splits services. She is too money hungry. If she had a passion for this business, my book would have been full. 7 months there & my books were still empty, as with others. Also she pays us bottom of the barrel hourly and or commission was NOTHING compared to European Wax Center's. Sign the contract before you're shipped off to Colorado (she didn't educate me about the contract until she thought I was going to quit 3 weeks later). Ladies you will be required to work there for a year. She sucks the passion out of waxing.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your cerologists and respect their loyalty. You can only push a person so much until they snap. Hire a manager and go home. You are messing up your own business! Be open to ideas from people who are in this field and look the part! Dress up and put on a little make up. People are attracted to this type of effort, esp in this field.