Wayfair Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is sometimes tough to maintain (in 37 reviews)

• Quite a bit of turnover at lower levels, lower compensation than other entry level analysts (in 42 reviews)

"A perfect place to keep your head down"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wayfair is a fantastic company if you're a software engineer who's looking to keep quiet, and not speak up when management treats you like garbage. And it excels at finding leaders who are willing to go the extra mile to be untrustworthy and make you feel like your job isn't safe (and for real, it's not).

Cons

Let's talk.

The company has been growing like crazy, and one thing that was never thought about was "can we actually hire at a sustainable rate, and scale accordingly?" The answer was no on both counts. Software engineers at Wayfair have a history of disappearing. People who enter labs have an especially low success rate (70% make it through, and less than 50% last a whole year). It's basically their way to run people through a burnout gauntlet, and see who survives. And then you have the stories of the people who come in to work and are just asked to resign. You'll see hints of it here on Glassdoor if you dig, and it's even worse than what you read.

They actually gathered all the engineers for a big meeting at the beginning of this year. And they said that they were sorry that people felt scared and were sad that people felt like management didn't care. Which is exactly how we felt. They promised that their door was open, and they were going to work hard to set things right. One person out of 500 stood up and asked a really cutting question. AND THEN THEY FIRED HIM! And there were 3 completely different official reasons given about it. It's crazy.

The leaders also started up an engineering meeting to keep everyone on the same page and answer anonymous questions. One time someone asked why we couldn't get snow days off, because it was tough to shovel for 3 to 4 hours and still work an 8 hour day. So the leaders proceeded to talk down to us and reprimand us for even thinking about asking a question like this.

Turnover has been high over the past year, and the best people are leaving. This worries management, but they still have no idea that the problem is actually them creating a terrible environment.

So if you're a good person who cares about the person next to you and leaving things better than you found them, don't bother applying here. But if you're not, and you just want to keep your head down and not question anything, then this is the perfect place for you. And if that's what you want, Wayfair gets 5 stars.

Amazing career opportunities if you want to have the same job forever.
    Incredible senior management that value untrustworthiness.
    A fantastic culture of watching people next to you disappear.

It's truly a perfect company.

Advice to Management

There is literally no hope for this company unless the board decides to fire most of the C-level executives and directors. This place is a lost cause.

Nov 13, 2017 – Engineering Director

First, I wanted to thank you for providing feedback. Second, I am very sorry to hear that your experience was far from ideal. I know it can be hard to give feedback if you feel management is the... More

"Tremendous opportunity and growth potential"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wayfair is one of the few companies in the world at a significant scale (~$6.5B market cap) experiencing tremendous growth (~40% in Q3 2017). This creates a ton of opportunity for people who are smart and eager to grow.

We also have teams working on interesting and difficult problems across the business, including a large team that is focused on reimagining large parcel delivery. Wayfair has the chance to become the best in the world at shipping big, heavy, fragile products, and will completely change how people shop for furniture in the process.

It still feels like Wayfair is in the early stages of capturing the market opportunity in front of it, and it is extremely exciting to be a part of that.

The senior leadership at the company is very strong overall, and I have a high degree of confidence in the direction of all of our teams.

Cons

Base compensation is lower than some key competitors for talent, but all-in comp with bonus + equity is strong. We don't always communicate this very well, which hurts the business.

The rapid growth creates some painful situations. People changing managers 3+ times in 6 months, many folks reporting to first time managers, frequent re-orgs, etc. I don't mind this, and I've learned to roll with the punches, but if you are someone who hates change you will not be happy at Wayfair.

Broadly speaking, benefits are worse than places like Facebook/Google/HubSpot/etc. Wayfair is a frugal company, and you won't find free lunch or massages or daycare here. That said, this enables us to reinvest in the business and continue to grow, which over time will make your equity valuable enough to more than make up for the inferior benefits.

Advice to Management

Move bonus into base salary. Increase paternity leave and some other key benefits that people really care about.

Dec 28, 2017 – Engineering Director

Thanks for sharing your perspective. We're glad you think Wayfair offers meaningful challenges and opportunities for growth.

"Great people, big impact"

Current Employee - Software in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wayfair has a big engineering department with tons of opportunity to tackle large, complicated problems and learn new things. The pace is fast and things are constantly changing which is really exciting. Technology is a priority and engineers are partners for the business in everything from the website to the supply chain and all the features and operations in between. You have the ability to speak up and make a difference in how things are done and over time work on any number of different things and take on larger and larger projects. There are lots of smart people around who care about their teams, their growth and making an impact for the company.

Cons

Because the company and the team are large, finding the right balance of information sharing and communication can be tough.

Advice to Management

Keep up the passion for building smart, fun teams and make sure we're pushing ourselves and the business to work on the most important stuff.

"Great place to work; growing quickly; collaborative environment"

Current Employee - Mid Level Management in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Mid Level Management in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been at Wayfair for almost a year now, on the operating side of the business, in a mid-level management role. I've found people at Wayfair to be smart, hard-working, action-oriented, and collaborative. I would say, for its size, it is a relatively flat organization. I love the open working space set-up and cross-functional nature of the business. It's also growing like crazy, meaning not just that the stock is going up (which is good for your comp) but that opportunities are constantly opening up. I have had two really great managers and opportunities to lead some exciting initiatives. I would highly recommend the company to anyone looking for an exciting new challenge and opportunity for growth.

Cons

Because we're growing so fast, it's at times hard to hire fast enough. That means that not all of the projects we're trying to launch get prioritized right away. But that's certainly a good problem to have - we have so many growth areas, versus the opposite of being in a shrinking or low-growth business.

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wayfair is a wonderful place to work. There is potential to grow fairly quickly and every day you are learning something new. Wayfair invests in their employees and has the best intentions. I have been extremely happy here with the environment, culture, as well as the goals and expectations are very clear.

Cons

It is a fast paced environment and changes can happen quickly! So as long as you are open to that type of environment and going with the flow, than its a great place for you!

6. "My time at Wayfair"

Former Employee - B2B Promotions in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - B2B Promotions in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and welcoming. It is easy to ask questions and the work is what you make of it. There is a "can-do" attitude all around the office.

Cons

With the growing success of the company, it often felt like we weren't supposed to "mess up" even though it's always said that mistakes are good. There was never a back up plan in case something went wrong.

"Unprecedent opportunities to grow and learn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is fully invested in Talent, it's 100% centered around the people. The shift happened when Kate Gulliver became the Head of Global Talent.
    We're growing so much that opportunities open up every day, if you're a top performer you'll be able to grab new massive challenges and run with it.
    The org is flat and titles don't matter, if you work hard/smart, are open to learn tons, and want to be part of a company in a unique moment in time - Wayfair is the place for you!

Cons

with massive growth not everything is running smoothly/structured. You need to lead the way and make things happen (create the process). It's an awesome opportunity to innovate and make a change (you have a white canvas!)

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the people!

Dec 28, 2017 – Engineering Director

"High Growth Opportunities and Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time

Pros

Wayfair is overall a terrific place to work. The people are friendly, fun and exceptionally smart--the kinds of people you want to be friends with. Life is balanced, though you sometime have to set your own boundaries, with lots of working parents. People are given tons of ownership over their work and the high growth means no shortage of opportunities for advancement and lateral movement around the company. Benefits are quite good given that ecommerce is a low-margin business (you should compare to Amazon not Facebook/Google), and high equity compensation creates really big upside for people who stick with the company over time (though better paternity leave is much needed!).

Cons

As many others have noted, the high growth creates some tension. To excel at Wayfair, you need to be flexible and willing to work in constantly changing and often ambiguous situations. The management really does care, but occasionally makes mistakes--not fully understanding the concerns of the employees or not appropriately supporting someone who is new reporting to a new manager who is reporting to a new manager. They are actively trying to improve on all these fronts while still growing 40-50% a year. They mean well, but it's easy for a companies core cultural values to get fuzzy in that situation. If that sounds scary, then Wayfair probably isn't the right place for you. Also, the organization actually isn't very corporate and there isn't a lot of red tape--I often wish there was more. There are plenty of times when something would be may more efficient if it was standardized, but Wayfair expects you to make it up as you go. It's a constant evolution. We are definitely BIG... having so many people means it's harder to get information you need or coordinate across departments than it may have been before. But folks who have worked at much larger organizations will recognize these as the normal growing pains of a fast-scaling company.

Advice to Management

1. Talk to your entry-level employees more about what they struggle with and what would make them more excited to come to work every day.
    2. Invest in onboarding and training your managers how to create healthy working environments at scale in the same way that you are investing in hiring.

"Excellent tech company to work at!"

Current Employee - Engineering Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Engineering Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance
    Strives to be a meritocracy
    Culture of collaboration
    Tons of opportunity to grow your tech skill set across many different technologies while having a visible impact on the business

Cons

There are lots of small conference rooms and collab spaces but it can be challenging to find ones that are not already occupied. Not a show stopper but an issue as the company has grown and has a strong culture of collaboration.

Dec 28, 2017 – Engineering Director

10. "Great fast-paced environment to learn in"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wayfair is a high-growth company that affords lots of growth opportunities to its employees. The company has made development of a high-quality software team a top priority of the last few years. The result has been the growth of an incredible team of driven engineers, architects & managers that want to build a high-quality system. The company has made great strides in both its infrastructure and operational engineering teams, and that has allowed the company to achieve a near doubling of year-over-year growth.

Engineers at the company have a great environment to challenge themselves, and learn from their driven peers. Self-sufficient engineers able to drive their own ideas forward will find a great home here.

Cons

Work-life balance is sometimes tough to maintain. The company moves very quickly, and as a result, employees have to work long hours to keep up, particularly in the run up to the busy holiday season.

Advice to Management

Invest more in hiring top talent to continue to raise the bar for employees.

Showing 525 of 1,008 reviews