Wayfair Category Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah
  1. "Positive Experience"

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great role for young adults after school.

Cons

300 person department makes promotions difficult and unclear.

Wayfair2019-08-25
  2. "Category Associate"

Former Employee - Category Associate

I worked at Wayfair full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company culture- great place to work with great benefits, smart leadership team

Cons

Not many cons I can think of!

Wayfair2019-07-28

"Great management in the dept -- can't say the same for others"

I worked at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Benefits are pretty great (equity, health, location, gym reimbursement, etc.) - Category management has great managers, but I heard other depts like paid marketing were poor - Everyone in the department was bright and hard-working

Cons

- Expectation of hours is much higher than what the pay suggests - Pretty monochromatic office

Advice to Management

- Pay CAs better and they won't leave in <2 years

Wayfair2019-05-08
  4. "Great First Job!"

Current Employee - Senior Category Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture with managers who truly want their direct reports to grow and learn.

Cons

Pay is about 10k below industry standard at all levels. Exceptionally high turnover rate due to lack of investment in associates.

Wayfair2019-04-29
  5. "Category Associate Intern"

Former Intern - Category Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair for less than a year

Pros

- Lots of responsibility - Tangible results - Working within a category so a lot of teamwork is encouraged - Work-life balance was almost too good

Cons

- Lucky I had a good manager, but internship can be ruined with a bad manager - Seems to be a lot of uncertainty within the company of its sustainability

Advice to Management

- Develop your internal talent more because it seems like people aren't buying into the company - a lot of turnovers

Wayfair2018-04-19
  6. "Associate"

Current Employee - Category Associate

I have been working at Wayfair full-time

Pros

Lots of responsibility early on, and the ability to interact with directors from various teams

Cons

Growing company has gone through its pains with keeping its culture with more than 80% of the company being at the company less than 2 years

Advice to Management

Focus on growing and retaining the internal talent

Wayfair2018-04-17

"Category management will ruin your life"

I worked at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

I can't think of an actual positive thing about wayfair that doesn't involve some sort caveat. For example, yes, everything is always changing at wayfair in this fast paced environment, however, thats mostly Because people are being fired or leaving, so naturally, these roles need to be filled. Yes, we are growing and developing amazing things! That doesn’t really matter when half your staff sits at lunch just conversing about how much they dislike their manager/ can’t pay their bills. Usually if you have a masters degree (doesn't really matter what kind of degree!) from an Ivy League, even without personal skills, you should be a good fit for a L4/L5 role, even without previous experience and zero management skills.

Cons

When I first applied to wayfair I was swept off my feet by the buzz. Young culture, great environment, free snacks, awesome pto (turned out to not be that awesome at all) employee discounts, endless learning and advancement opportunities, etc. i decided that I should ignore the negative reviews because these people just didn't know what the were talking about. Boy, was I incorrect. This company is absolutely absurd. A while back, in my first eight months or so, I had FOUR different managers, all of which were horrible Managers in every sense of the word. They were young, inexperienced, power hungry, socially confused, rude, cut throat, brown nosing people, or any combination of the above. The emotional roller coaster that is wayfair is almost impossible deal with on a daily basis. Wayfairs excuse is that it's a rapidly growing company! Things are always changing! Embrace it! The truth is, people slowly realize how shady this company is and begin to move on. Basically, if you don't do things exactly as your specific manager wants them, and I mean exactly, you will receive harsh "constructive criticism" about not being a "team player" or a "strategic thinker" or a "grower." This "feedback" begins about 3-4 weeks in, so if you haven't mastered the role by then, and you're still "ramping up" you're pretty screwed. I will admit, people are impressed by me when they see that I've been working at wayfair, and for over two years for that matter, but that's pretty Much the only pro about this company. If you'd like your self esteem and confidence to be completely Annihilated by someone in a management role Who has less experience than you and is your age, but has a masters and worked as a consultant previously, this is your place to work. Also, the pay is laughable. They look at reimbursement on an “all in” level, meaning equity is included. Equity is great, but I can’t access that for a year and even when I could, it’s impossible to make it far enough in the company to reach equity that actually makes an impact on your quality of living, so keep that second job for now. for them To even remotely allude to the fact that there are "growth opportunities" should be considered illegal. You will By no means grow at this company and you'll be making less than an Uber driver with longer and more Miserable hours. You will grow if you’re willing you to be a glorified assistant for 2+ years. Also, pto benefits aren't that great, you have to take days like the day after thanksgiving off. If a holiday falls on a Tuesday, you bet you'll have to take paid time off if you want to take a long weekend to take some time to see your family on Christmas. Also, if there’s snow, you’ll be asked to come in. Working from home is frowned upon. But don’t get it twisted, your manager/directors will not be at work in a blizzard with you! Snacks are sub par, definitely wouldn’t take those into account when making your decision. Ive never cried in an office setting more in my life. Associates are nice though!

Advice to Management

My advice is to get off your high horse. Without the L1’s and L2s, your upper management would be absolutely lost. It’s truly alarming when a manager cannot perform a simple task that they grill you about performing perfectly everyday. I'm truly saddened by the lack of investment in your employees as I had very high hopes for this company and my career here. I fear you have far too many issues to even begin to take my feedback seriously into consideration.

Wayfair2018-02-01

"Category Associate"

I worked at Wayfair full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Perfect launch pad if you're looking for your first adult job out of school. Great peers, free snacks and beers, lots of fun tradeshows to rack up airline miles on.... definitely the work-hard/play-hard culture. Really young and inexperienced associates. Fun quarterly parties and pod outings. Softball league. Nice stock opportunities in my offer. Just wish I didn't stay as long as I did. Stay 2 years MAX, then go somewhere you can actually move up the ladder to develop your career and get paid what you're worth. The same job at other firms can pay upwards of $20k/year more.

Cons

Very low pay for all the work you do. Incompetent mid-level managers. Not much room to advance up the ladder anymore- they only look to bring in external candidates with Ivy League MBAs with consulting backgrounds for senior leadership roles now. Ask you to work weekends at a tradeshow, then expect you to come in on Monday morning after a redeye like no big deal. It's a lovely experience for the first 1-2 years, MAX, then it's time to get out of there and get the respect you deserve.

Advice to Management

Pay more. Hire competent managers who actually know the business, rather than bringing in external candidates who have Ivy League MBAs and years of consulting backgrounds, but absolutely no idea how to apply that knowledge to the ecommerce world. It's a completely nuanced conversation from your typical retail businesses, so look to promote more internal people who have been there for years and KNOW how to be successful there in that world. Invest in your own people, so they can turn around and grow your company the way you want it to grow.

Wayfair2017-09-27
  9. "Category associate"

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment. Higher ups are bought into your personal development. Immediately thrown into client facing situations. Ability to master sql and excel.

Cons

Pay isn't great. Younger members are given unimportant accounts with limited growth potential. The work is not very difficult, but takes awhile to master.

Advice to Management

Pay more to retain young employees. Promote younger employees based on merit opposed to tenure. Interact more with younger employees. That's all I got.

Wayfair2017-08-23
  10. "New but okay"

Current Employee - Category Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone willing to help

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities for growth

Wayfair2016-08-26