Cover image for Wayfair

3.3
Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah
2,418 Ratings

What people are saying about Wayfair

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "There are also some really great people that you'll meet and be able to work with.(in 403 reviews)
  • "Great culture and lots of people right out of college to make the transition into a new job easy.(in 294 reviews)
  • "Good Benefits and all you can eat snacks and sodas(in 293 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance and lot of snacks(in 214 reviews)
  • "I am on the promotions team and oh boy I have the best manager and a great team to learn from.(in 93 reviews)
Cons
  • "The pay is low and they hold you at specific positions until you have worked in that position for at least 3 months.(in 284 reviews)
  • "Poor management due to inexperienced employees being prematurely thrust into managerial positions.(in 239 reviews)
  • "Managers don't have experience and there's no guidance and direction for your job.(in 194 reviews)
  • "The salaries are low compared to similar jobs nationwide and very low when compared to Boston and other areas in Massachusetts.(in 158 reviews)
  • "senior leadership in the design org was really kind but misguided(in 124 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Wayfair and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

A great community

Oct 25, 2022 - Learning & Development Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very collaborative and limited micromanagement.

Cons

Executing on initiatives when not perfect.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A perfect place to keep your head down

May 12, 2017 - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Wayfair is a fantastic company if you're a software engineer who's looking to keep quiet, and not speak up when management treats you like garbage. And it excels at finding leaders who are willing to go the extra mile to be untrustworthy and make you feel like your job isn't safe (and for real, it's not).

Cons

Let's talk. The company has been growing like crazy, and one thing that was never thought about was "can we actually hire at a sustainable rate, and scale accordingly?" The answer was no on both counts. Software engineers at Wayfair have a history of disappearing. People who enter labs have an especially low success rate (70% make it through, and less than 50% last a whole year). It's basically their way to run people through a burnout gauntlet, and see who survives. And then you have the stories of the people who come in to work and are just asked to resign. You'll see hints of it here on Glassdoor if you dig, and it's even worse than what you read. They actually gathered all the engineers for a big meeting at the beginning of this year. And they said that they were sorry that people felt scared and were sad that people felt like management didn't care. Which is exactly how we felt. They promised that their door was open, and they were going to work hard to set things right. One person out of 500 stood up and asked a really cutting question. AND THEN THEY FIRED HIM! And there were 3 completely different official reasons given about it. It's crazy. The leaders also started up an engineering meeting to keep everyone on the same page and answer anonymous questions. One time someone asked why we couldn't get snow days off, because it was tough to shovel for 3 to 4 hours and still work an 8 hour day. So the leaders proceeded to talk down to us and reprimand us for even thinking about asking a question like this. Turnover has been high over the past year, and the best people are leaving. This worries management, but they still have no idea that the problem is actually them creating a terrible environment. So if you're a good person who cares about the person next to you and leaving things better than you found them, don't bother applying here. But if you're not, and you just want to keep your head down and not question anything, then this is the perfect place for you. And if that's what you want, Wayfair gets 5 stars. Amazing career opportunities if you want to have the same job forever. Incredible senior management that value untrustworthiness. A fantastic culture of watching people next to you disappear. It's truly a perfect company.

823 people found this review helpful

Wayfair Response

Engineering Director

First, I wanted to thank you for providing feedback. Second, I am very sorry to hear that your experience was far from ideal. I know it can be hard to give feedback if you feel management is the problem, but leadership would love to learn about these issues to refine the Wayfair employee experience. We do try to create an open and transparent environment; one thing we’ve started doing is department-wide anonymous surveys. This has been helpful in identifying issues where people don’t feel comfortable speaking up for whatever reason and pinpoint where any issues may exist. As you noted, the company is growing very quickly - our Engineering team alone has grown tenfold over the past five years. I won’t pretend we get it right all the time, but we do aim to scale our teams and our systems reasonably to meet the rapid growth of our business, and we rely on employee feedback to refine these processes. To that end, we’ve put a lot of time and energy into our interview process. And, we closely track our voluntary and involuntary attrition rates to make sure we are keeping high employee retention and so that we can immediately nip any potential issues in the bud. For Wayfair Labs, we’ve made huge strides since the beginning of this program, and our average success rate is now over 90%, with several classes at 100%. We also run management trainings on giving, receiving and soliciting feedback. In these trainings - and in general - we encourage respect for all teammates and partners, communication and collaboration, and we try create opportunities for people to take on new challenges. I am very excited about the work we’re doing to solve tough challenges and there’s an exciting opportunity for our employees to do big things – our goal is to build a team that feels encouraged and empowered to do so. I’m very sorry you didn’t have the experience we try to cultivate. Once again, thank you for this feedback.

3. Join the Wayfair team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee

Use caution.

Nov 11, 2022 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are great to work with and always willing to help each other out for the betterment of the company.

Cons

They move fast without a true long term strategy in place and really just operate on a quarter by quarter basis, so if they have a few bad quarters expect a round of layoffs. The pace at which they work leads to poor execution and sloppy results. Spend a few minutes on the website and you’ll be able to see for yourself. The leadership team is made up of mostly former consultants so expect a lot of long emails/ PowerPoints/ graphs etc. that really don’t amount to any action. Pay is below market and they add in a one time bonus and stock option (4 year vesting), so it’s a numbers game for sure. there’s a good chance you don’t see any of the stock come to fruition due high turnover. The interview process is very repetitive and not conducive if you have another job. Typically, 3 behavioral interviews and 2 case interviews where you have to review data, answer some basic retail math, and provide recommendations based off that information. It’s probably a great spot to start your career, but I wouldn’t recommend for more than a year or two. I wouldn’t expect these guys to be around in 10-15 years.

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great People. Poor Management.

Nov 8, 2022 - Creative in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Very smart, kind, driven, and creative people who are always willing to go the extra mile to deliver strong work. - A lot of opportunity to work on meaningful projects and it's awesome to see your work live on the website, in catalogues, magazines, etc.

Cons

- Too many managers and not enough workers: lower-level employees in every department/on every team are overworked because the company refuses to hire doers. - Leadership is too involved: high-level managers (not in the creative department) weigh in way too often and have way too much say in the final creative product. - Many employees who have been at the company 2-5 years will never advance because the company is constantly hiring new managers (replacing the ones who quit or were fired) instead of promoting from within. They don't understand the processes, business, best practices, and become roadblocks rather than solutions.

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Constantly Adapting

Nov 11, 2022 - Executive Resolution Team
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent Pay, Work from Home, Some opportunity to grow, Different areas to move to if you are a top performer.

Cons

Once in a specialized group you are bottle necked and then subjected to very little opportunity to move up without their specific leadership programs that are limited although you are a top tier employee. Management is disconnected from the work flow processes that they are constantly changing. Training is inconsistent and communication between specialized teams and regular customer service is lacking when processes change. You can be let go on the first corrective action while others manipulate the system for their personal benefits. Pressure of the "Woke culture".

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Wayfair's Company Culture

Aug 30, 2022 - Supplier Communications Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

flexibility, lateral and horizontal movement within the organization, access to resources and people

Cons

not remote, experience depends heavily on who your manager is organizational structure, job title and description, and managers change rapidly - and don't always make things more efficient

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

About as good as it gets

Oct 9, 2022 - Senior Recruiter
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance, compensation, benefits, time off, lots of opportunity, and it’s an all around great place to work. There is a genuine effort in creating a welcoming workplace, opportunities to grow and develop your career, and great networking opportunities.

Cons

Can be difficult to receive a promotion that’s earned because of the strict policies around annual reviews. They also won’t “promote” you to another position if it is a level of seniority above you (e.g., “L1” recruiter to “L2” recruiter). You *must* promote on a review cycle, even if you’re overqualified for the role you’re applying to. Also, if you’re unknowingly hired into a seniority level under what you’re qualified for, then you may find yourself waiting 12-24 months before you’re “qualified” to “promote” based on the review cycles.

9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Wayfair service consultant - All they care about is metrics

Oct 24, 2022 - Customer Service Representative (CSR)
    Business Outlook

Pros

Employee engagement gift cards and perks

Cons

Managers don't know answers to simple questions and will directly lie to you just to get you to stop "bothering" them.

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

Nov 17, 2022 - Warehouse Operation Supervisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

The top positive is they really do care for their associates and do what they can to provide perks for people on every level. They also have a good internal promotion process.

Cons

The usual for logistics, fluctuations in work load that follow the seasonal cycles. Nothing significant really.

11. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great company, bad leadership

Aug 30, 2022 - Team Lead in Perris, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company overall is great to all their employees and go out of their way to do things for the associates. Lots of extra stuff, gifts food and things that motivates the people that work there.

Cons

Leadership is as fake as you can be. Everyone talks about every one. Every shift is different from the other, no teamwork, no credit for your work because the other shift is always complaining that they do half as jobs and so and so on. Management is not what you want to be, there’s groups that are what you don’t want a boss to be, lazy, untrustworthy and fake as hell. I left because I couldn’t stand the brown nosing that I saw, the laziest people would get promoted just because they brown nose to upper management

3 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 4,328 Reviews
</>Embed

Wayfair Reviews FAQs

Wayfair has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 4,973 reviews left anonymously by employees. 52% of employees would recommend working at Wayfair to a friend and 40% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Wayfair employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Wayfair. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

52% of Wayfair employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Wayfair 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.3 for culture and values and 3.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Wayfair to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management, compensation.

Popular Careers with Wayfair Job Seekers