Wayfair Senior Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Wayfair Senior Manager Reviews

Updated Jan 10, 2020

Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah
  1. "Great collaborative place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Category Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people, strong collaboration, and fast growth!

Cons

Sometimes takes time to get things done

Wayfair2019-10-15

"Like any company, your job satisfaction fluctuates"

Former Employee - Senior Design Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Casual dress code, latest software and hardware, great opportunities to reach beyond your role and learn new skill sets, creative salaries were better aligned with regional market value in the past year or so as more and more negative attention was brought to this issue.

Cons

Abundant turnover, lean teams, long hours, and the ridiculous idea that free beer and snack walls is what makes employees happy.

Wayfair2020-01-09

"Rapid growth combined with enormous potential"

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast growth that needs to be managed well

Cons

Culture could use some improvement

Wayfair2020-01-10

"Young managers lack experience on coaching team members"

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast growth company makes the vibe exciting.

Cons

No personal space, chock-a-block desk layout like a news room. Will cut you quickly if you don't measure up in your role, rather than helping you meet expectations or find a new position within the organization.

Wayfair2019-09-20

"Disappointing ride"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) Learned a lot 2) Good compensation and work life balance

Cons

1) very business driven company with no value for product old tech stack 2) Lots of internal politics which are given more importance than results 3) Jenkins/cron jobs is their bread and butter 4) Manager only cares about updates and no employee development activities

Wayfair2019-10-08

"Huge variation in culture by teams"

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of cool people around who want to do good work and have fun Growing company that is willing to experiment Career growth if you are well liked

Cons

It's hard to tell if you will end up on a good team until you start. Also, they are hiring quickly so your boss and team may change quickly. I've seen high performers come in and leave early due to bad management. Possesses organizations called Single Threaded Owners to help the company move quickly. This leads to multiple teams sharing ownership and ambiguity on who is really responsible. Lots of consultants hired at senior levels who are looking to make a name for themselves without clear vision. This leads to more politics and less focus on work. Disorganization and ambiguity on objectives depending on your team. This leads to your rating dependent on your boss's perception of you.

Advice to Management

Ensure leaders, especially new employees, are trained properly and develop a culture that builds talent.

Wayfair2019-10-11
  7. "4 years in, still enjoy going to work"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

+ A ton of smart people that are really great to work with + The ability to affect real change + Endless opportunities for career advancement as the company grows. Literally, if you want to work toward something, there's an opportunity for it.

Cons

- Sometimes it can be hard to find conference rooms. - Open bathroom stalls can be a bit difficult to find sometimes during peak hours.

Advice to Management

Make sure that as we continue to grow, we try to keep Wayfair as great a place to work as when it was smaller.

Wayfair2019-09-03

"Culture is a mess, lasted less than 6 months"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time for less than a year

Pros

I didn't see anything I'd want repeated at another company

Cons

- Core values are aspirational, not reality - People with experience are under-leveled and expected to prove themselves before receiving the appropriate level/compensation - Culture crisis – instead of looking at the growing employee base and evolving their culture, they are trying to keep things the way it was when the company was half as large - Disconnect between vision of the company from senior leaders and execution of plan from lower level employees - Rampant gossip - Disempowerment from people in a wide range of roles and levels - Hours and hours of time wasted in meetings that could’ve been an email

Advice to Management

Biggest opportunity is to get leaders in place who can set a vision, and build strong teams underneath who can execute their part of the vision. With no budgets and an aversion to boundaries, teams are stepping over each other hiring for the same roles and doing almost exactly the same function with no knowledge the other exists. Get organized and think about scalability.

Wayfair2019-09-24
  9. "Wayfair is way cool"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've enjoyed working at Wayfair, way more than I ever thought that I would. I've not ever been in an environment in my 35 year career that is so collaborative and where people are willing to help others and work work on and solve problems. I work within the Wayfair storefront mobile application team and the problems we are solving are exceedingly challenging but the technology we are using is excellent. Some of the high points are: * All ideas are welcome and discussed. There are a ton of different opinions and not all opinions are acted upon but I've never felt "put down" because of an idea or opinion. * I have not been in a company before where diversity is so highly valued. With this diversity comes a wide range of opinions and ideas. * Wayfair is very data driven. They always try to make decisions based based upon data. If they try something new, they then monitor the results and analyze to determine if it was the right course based upon data. If not, they change course. * Mistakes are OK to make, as mistakes are experience which contribute to better decisions in the future. * Management really care about the employees. I've witnessed multiple occasions where decisions were made that benefit the ambitions and strengths of the employee. * The company is frugal. I don't mean that they are cheap but that we have a culture of careful spending. I've worked for companies in the past where it is hard to get a pencil. I have also worked at companies where there are few financial controls. Wayfair seams to have a good mix of financial oversight and spending where it will be beneficial. * The company focuses on a great customer experience. It doesn't matter if the customer is an employee, a vendor, or a consumer, all teams strive to service the customer at exceptional levels. * At Wayfair, we push boundaries with technology. This is very cool and very exciting to figure out new and exciting ways to tackle very complex problems using technology. * There is a big focus on teamwork. Even as diverse as our workforce is, we try to build unity, especially around teams. We have team outings each month (paid for by Wayfair) which helps to build that unity.

Cons

As with any big company, Wayfair has their challenges. Onboarding is a bit tough, especially given the growth of the company. An employee's first week sometimes is full of small problems, like issues with permissions or with computer equipment or access.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work.

Wayfair2019-08-28

"Smart people hindered by poor managers"

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time

Pros

- Smart people - Interesting work - Nice office setting

Cons

- Poor managers - Not result-oriented but task-oriented - Very political/not meritocracy/clique-y

Advice to Management

Get rid of some management layers

Wayfair2019-09-05