Wayfair Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah

"Good place to work"

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are nice, not toxic environment, not many over time, clear path to promotion

Cons

slow on using latest technologies

Wayfair2019-10-30

"A perfect place to keep your head down"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wayfair is a fantastic company if you're a software engineer who's looking to keep quiet, and not speak up when management treats you like garbage. And it excels at finding leaders who are willing to go the extra mile to be untrustworthy and make you feel like your job isn't safe (and for real, it's not).

Cons

Let's talk. The company has been growing like crazy, and one thing that was never thought about was "can we actually hire at a sustainable rate, and scale accordingly?" The answer was no on both counts. Software engineers at Wayfair have a history of disappearing. People who enter labs have an especially low success rate (70% make it through, and less than 50% last a whole year). It's basically their way to run people through a burnout gauntlet, and see who survives. And then you have the stories of the people who come in to work and are just asked to resign. You'll see hints of it here on Glassdoor if you dig, and it's even worse than what you read. They actually gathered all the engineers for a big meeting at the beginning of this year. And they said that they were sorry that people felt scared and were sad that people felt like management didn't care. Which is exactly how we felt. They promised that their door was open, and they were going to work hard to set things right. One person out of 500 stood up and asked a really cutting question. AND THEN THEY FIRED HIM! And there were 3 completely different official reasons given about it. It's crazy. The leaders also started up an engineering meeting to keep everyone on the same page and answer anonymous questions. One time someone asked why we couldn't get snow days off, because it was tough to shovel for 3 to 4 hours and still work an 8 hour day. So the leaders proceeded to talk down to us and reprimand us for even thinking about asking a question like this. Turnover has been high over the past year, and the best people are leaving. This worries management, but they still have no idea that the problem is actually them creating a terrible environment. So if you're a good person who cares about the person next to you and leaving things better than you found them, don't bother applying here. But if you're not, and you just want to keep your head down and not question anything, then this is the perfect place for you. And if that's what you want, Wayfair gets 5 stars. Amazing career opportunities if you want to have the same job forever. Incredible senior management that value untrustworthiness. A fantastic culture of watching people next to you disappear. It's truly a perfect company.

Advice to Management

There is literally no hope for this company unless the board decides to fire most of the C-level executives and directors. This place is a lost cause.

Wayfair2017-05-12

"Roll the dice and maybe you'll get good career progression."

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

I like the people on my team, including my manager. They're probably the biggest (if not the only) reason I'm still at the company.

Cons

At a big enough company your experience is highly impacted by the team you're on, and while internal mobility is flaunted as a perk, I feel like the problems that are most impactful are company-wide. If an interview candidate asks about something negative about the company, a safe answer is "growing pains" because it is secretly also a positive. I've helped onboard close to a dozen engineers only counting my direct team alone, and... it's exhausting. Then those engineers switch teams and you lose all that effort you put in, plus get a new engineer to onboard as backfill. Speaking of teams and how your experience is highly impacted by the team you're on: one team I worked with two years ago is now 10 teams (not exaggerating). You might think this is a great opportunity for professional growth (the recruiters will certainly tell you that) and it is if you land on the right team. Some teams split so much such that people only a handful years out of college are "Senior Engineering Managers" and people with less than two years of experience total are "tech leads". Maybe it is all a meritocracy, although I have seen some atrocious code approved by "tech leads" at Wayfair. Are these "Senior Engineering Managers" and "tech leads" really able to provide worthwhile career development advice to someone one year their junior on the job? I may be coming across as bitter, probably because I am. You can work hard on a team that never breaks apart and never get the recognition or even the opportunities that someone on a favored team does. If you try to chase opportunities down by switching teams you'll just be onboarding on that team like anyone else and won't be an SME in time to position yourself as the next "tech lead" in the next split (which happens every few quarters). You just kind of have to hope where you are will turn into something good before you've waited too long and wasted your time. An example of what I'm talking about are the teams working on internal tools: many tools are either abandoned or perennially broken, yet the engineers on those teams get promoted and we get emails that we're supposed to be in awe of the fact that they worked hard to fix broken things their teams own. My team does not have the luxury to let things get like that because if we did the company would STOP MAKING MONEY. Where's our email? Where are our promotions? Why can't we all be "tech leads" of (in some cases) barely existent teams? I'm left thinking that it's not worth switching teams because I'm already an SME in my team's domain (not a "tech lead" though, whatever that even means anymore) and I like the people on my team. I just have to hope our team becomes favored soon enough that I can catch up... or I could leave for a different company and be 100% sure I'd be learning and growing through getting a different perspective. I don't really know which is best but the equation tips towards the latter as time goes on.

Advice to Management

Be consistent with how opportunities are given out, not just how promotions are. Sure we can be fair given what skills employees demonstrated, but how many others would have also demonstrated those skills if given the chance? (This is where it gets political.) Stop hiring so many people, particularly inexperienced ones. We can't keep up onboarding them AND developing new features AND having time for our own hopes and dreams. They can't contribute as a "tech lead" or "Senior Engineer" just because you slap a title on them. Stop promoting people so fast, it demeans the entire meaning of "Senior Engineer" when someone literally in college 2 years ago has that title. Do they really know how to mentor and guide someone through their career if they themselves only just started their own? Will they even understand what it's like for someone not on a privileged inside track like they are? On a more positive note, despite the short amount of time he has been (interim) CTO, Jim Miller has already impressed me with his perspectives and direction from elsewhere in the tech world. Maybe that's just because he's been contradicting the long-held notions of his predecessors, but I think Wayfair would do well to find someone like that long-term because he's not beholden to the existing engineering culture that has been reinforced for some time. Lastly and most importantly: actually listen to people when they bring things up internally. I've been making these arguments for a very long time and it's depressing that the only way I can get any sort of meaningful response out of anyone is by posting something like this. It is public. It might scare away job candidates. It is in no one's best interest for this to be here, yet here we are because this is the option that I have left.

Wayfair2019-11-23

"Shifting priorities and a total lack of transparency"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for less than a year

Pros

You might meet a handful of highly intelligent people, during their brief stint at the company, before they move on to someplace better...

Cons

Frequent re-organizations, changing priorities, total lack of transparency, engineers are treated more like tools than anything

Advice to Management

It's great to have a big vision, but what's more important is that you execute on it properly. If you don't involve engineers who understand the platform and the day-to-day when building roadmaps, you'll end up having to revamp the platform every few years.

Wayfair2019-11-09
  5. "Great work culture"

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

benefits + team + people +culture + workplace + ofcourse wayfair parties are in headlines all the time.

Cons

We build fast , we break fast. Your months of hard work may go down/be replaced with a new one. Doesn't match market average for salary.

Advice to Management

Strategy for retaining an employee can be re-build for long term sutainable growth.

Wayfair2019-10-15

"Overall good place to work."

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation is VERY generous, work-life balance is great. Can work from home whenever needed, for doctor's appointments or what not.

Cons

The barest minimum PTO. Only 6 paid holidays, and no sign from management that they're willing to budge on that. Communication is often poor between teams, leading to lots of lost time/unnecessary refactors which could've been avoided if requirements were properly hammered out before work started. Too many Project Managers muddying the waters, without soliciting engineering's feedback.

Wayfair2019-08-28
  7. "Great environment, people"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair for less than a year

Pros

- Company culture is young, easy to get along with most people.

Cons

- inter-team communication can be sluggish, - Specifically with interns, I wish there were more events to get to know more fellow interns

Wayfair2019-09-08
  8. "Great company to work with a long runway ahead of them"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Wayfair full-time

Pros

* opportunities to work on projects and ideas outside of normal work time * emphasis on career growth & planning * promotes cross-team communication & work, also across disciplines (engineering, UX/UI, product, business, etc.)

Cons

* growing pains as a company that is still working on becoming profitable * lots of new people in the company. all other SWEs on my team have been with Wayfair for less than 2 years. doesn't diminish their intelligence or strength as engineers, but the sense of longevity within my team is not as strong

Wayfair2019-09-07

"Great place to grow your mobile development career!"

Current Employee - Mobile Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Work with cutting edge mobile technologies - Low employee turn-over rate - Work with a large and talented mobile app team - Good work-life balance - Great office location - Great benefits and compensation - Many career growth opportunities in management and in the "technical track"

Cons

Advice to Management

Same as above: - Management needs to expand on the technical track career path for engineers that do not want to go into management - VP and C-level leadership could do a better job responding to employee demands

Wayfair2019-09-03
  10. "Great company with good work environment"

Current Intern - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair for less than a year

Pros

Location, snacks, free beers everyday, nice colleagues and flexible work time.

Cons

Not sure for intern, I am satisfied

Wayfair2019-08-28