Wayfair Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work-life balance - So many companies say this but it's not a truth" (in 108 reviews)

• "Casual work culture; flexbility offered; people friendly; free snacks; fun events"" (in 135 reviews)

Cons
  • "While the work/life balance is very good, Wayfair only recognizes 6 holidays" (in 45 reviews)

• "Relatively lower compensations for entry level" (in 46 reviews)

"Haven’t considered leaving"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

So many opportunities, if you’re talented then you will succeed at wayfair.

Cons

It’s growing fast and things change all the time, so that could be hard for some people to handle?

"A perfect place to keep your head down"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wayfair is a fantastic company if you're a software engineer who's looking to keep quiet, and not speak up when management treats you like garbage. And it excels at finding leaders who are willing to go the extra mile to be untrustworthy and make you feel like your job isn't safe (and for real, it's not).

Cons

Let's talk.

The company has been growing like crazy, and one thing that was never thought about was "can we actually hire at a sustainable rate, and scale accordingly?" The answer was no on both counts. Software engineers at Wayfair have a history of disappearing. People who enter labs have an especially low success rate (70% make it through, and less than 50% last a whole year). It's basically their way to run people through a burnout gauntlet, and see who survives. And then you have the stories of the people who come in to work and are just asked to resign. You'll see hints of it here on Glassdoor if you dig, and it's even worse than what you read.

They actually gathered all the engineers for a big meeting at the beginning of this year. And they said that they were sorry that people felt scared and were sad that people felt like management didn't care. Which is exactly how we felt. They promised that their door was open, and they were going to work hard to set things right. One person out of 500 stood up and asked a really cutting question. AND THEN THEY FIRED HIM! And there were 3 completely different official reasons given about it. It's crazy.

The leaders also started up an engineering meeting to keep everyone on the same page and answer anonymous questions. One time someone asked why we couldn't get snow days off, because it was tough to shovel for 3 to 4 hours and still work an 8 hour day. So the leaders proceeded to talk down to us and reprimand us for even thinking about asking a question like this.

Turnover has been high over the past year, and the best people are leaving. This worries management, but they still have no idea that the problem is actually them creating a terrible environment.

So if you're a good person who cares about the person next to you and leaving things better than you found them, don't bother applying here. But if you're not, and you just want to keep your head down and not question anything, then this is the perfect place for you. And if that's what you want, Wayfair gets 5 stars.

Amazing career opportunities if you want to have the same job forever.
    Incredible senior management that value untrustworthiness.
    A fantastic culture of watching people next to you disappear.

It's truly a perfect company.

Advice to Management

There is literally no hope for this company unless the board decides to fire most of the C-level executives and directors. This place is a lost cause.

Wayfair Response

Nov 13, 2017 – Engineering Director

First, I wanted to thank you for providing feedback. Second, I am very sorry to hear that your experience was far from ideal. I know it can be hard to give feedback if you feel management is the... More

"Don't do it"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair (More than a year)

Pros

- Some employees/departments have generally nice people.
    - Good place to gain experience but not great for long term.
    - Having company-sponsored team outings were nice.

Cons

- It's a big company where employees are treated as just a number.
    - Re-organizations happen frequently where the employees affected are not notified properly and have no say in where they are being moved to.
    - There seems be be an overwhelmingly large number of people in managerial roles who are not qualified for these positions. And if you happen to work under one of them, then your experience won't be great.
    - Work/life balance is dependent on your manager. So, this could be good or bad...
    - The number of paid holidays are low (6 days)
    - There is no company-wide work from home policy. Again, this policy is dependent on your manager. Because of this and the open office floor plan, colds/flu go around the office several times each winter.
    - Management brushes off almost all employee suggestions for improvements relating to the workplace and benefits despite it being voiced for years.
    - They're "always" hiring new employees but they don't bother with retaining current/experienced employees.

Advice to Management

Learn how to retain your employees and keep them happy rather than continuously "growing" the company with inexperienced new hires.

Wayfair Response

Dec 11, 2018 – Senior Leadership

I'm sorry to hear this was your experience at Wayfair. We do value our employees and aim for Wayfair to be a great place to work. We are growing fast and hiring to support this growth, so maintaining... More

"Wayfair Labs (Mobile)"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wayfair Labs has to be the best program a tech company can develop for new entry-level employees. My co-workers (or labsters, as we call them) and I started with no prior mobile development experience, and Wayfair Labs trained us to become regular Software Engineers with real responsibilities and projects.
    - The program is structured extremely well: there's 3 main projects, each with a specific purpose. The first one gets you familiar with whichever mobile platform you'll be using (in my case, I learned iOS/Swift/Xcode). The next project gets you used to the app architecture used at Wayfair. With the last one, you'll actually start working with the Wayfair codebase and do actual real work.
    - The timing of the workshops is great: along with the projects, you'll also learn through many workshops every week, taught by the mobile team's Software Engineers with whom you'll eventually work. The purpose and timing of each workshop is aligned really well with what you need to learn for your projects you'll be working on, so you can integrate what you learn into your work, and be familiar with what they'll teach you beforehand.
    - Feedback is encouraged (both ways): you'll work closely with a mentor (who will be with you most of the time at the beginning) and a manager. You'll have weekly/biweekly 1:1s with both to discuss about your progress, questions, concerns and constructive criticism. They will give you honest feedback regarding your progress, what you're doing well, and what you can improve on, to make sure you're always on track. Similarly, you'll be encouraged to give them feedback too so they can improve too.
    - The environment is very collaborative: you'll be sitting with the rest of the people in Labs, all of which are assigned the same project and are on the same page. While you'll work individually on your project, helping and supporting each other is definitely encouraged (and it happens all the time, everyday).
    - Your skills and preferences are used to match you with the right team: at the end of the program, you'll be asked which of the teams you would like to join. The managers will take this into consideration, in addition to your skills, to make sure you join the team in which you'll be the happiest and most helpful and productive.
    - You'll be a full-time employee: even though you're in an entry-level program, you're still a full-time employee. That is, you'll have the same salary, benefits, perks as any other employee here.
    - Manager and mentors are awesome: they went through labs and know exactly how you feel. They're really nice, helpful, and happy to help you with your obstacles and goals!
    - Company is growing like crazy and work is exciting!

I interned at Google last year and their program wasn't nearly as good as Wayfair Labs. I feel much happier and supported here. I'm very happy I made this decision!

Cons

I honestly can't think of any.

"Mobile Labs - iOS"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The whole program will give you a thorough understanding of mobile development while paying you a full developer salary. Not many opportunities like that exist in this world. As long as you pay attention and apply yourself, you can confidently get through this program and get placed onto a team after the 3 months.
    The management is great and understanding as well as open to feedback throughout the entire process so that the experience can be improved for future Labs classes.
    Amazing experience.
    Boston is great.

Cons

The full stack labs program is much larger so if you're looking to meet people in a new city (socially), it's much easier to do there. The mobile labs classes tend to be smaller.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin on.

"Senior Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging/Interesting work, Tech, and lots of smart people.

Cons

Culture getting a bit too political, introverted hard working smart folks not appreciated. Upper management tends to put undue pressure and scare tactics.

Advice to Management

Focus on tech skills, work ethic as opposed to who makes the most noise

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun events, snacks, parties, culture

Cons

1. Dark Office Politics and hidden secrets
    2. No job security. Quick hire and fire policy. I have seen they have fired people without warnings, Don't even inform their team about firing to maintain a myth of good environment
    3. Work depends on the team you are working on: either people find it too boring and stagnant or too much pressurized .
    4. Try to lure employees by throwing parties but no actual holidays or sick leaves.

Advice to Management

Value your employees just don't treat them like herds that you hire every month

8. "Excellent work environment, but quality of work really depends"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

No pressure, great colleagues, nice office, great location, good benefits.

Cons

salary lower than other software companies of the same size, work is sometimes boring and repetitive.

"Software Engineer - Android Labs"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Good yearly Salary
    -Free coffee and snacks
    -Good desk supplies
    -Open work environment
    -Cool culture, have parties every couple weeks.

Cons

-Got laid off after 2 months, even though they said I was improving
    -Management super disorganized, and not transparent
    -"I can't give you a recommendation for legal reasons" <-- Something my manager said to me after she laid me off.

Advice to Management

Just tell me the truth. I don't like that I got laid off only 2 months in. But I'd rather know that its because a stupid decision was made on high, rather than my own doing.

"Amazing experience and must work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent culture and work life balance. A lot to learn in a short span of time.

Cons

Not much negatives. Total positive experience