KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Wayfair

Engaged Employer

Wayfair

Add a Review

Wayfair Employee Reviews about "wayfair"

Updated Nov 29, 2021

3.5
Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah
2,486 Ratings

What people are saying about Wayfair

Join the conversation on

Career Pivot

5m

a

Graduate Engineer

If anyone has done an interview at Wayfair before, please give me some hints or advice. It's for the algorithm and analytics teams. I didn't get alot of traction job searching when I graduated last semester but I'm glad things are turning around. Thank you :)

7 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "There are also some really great people that you'll meet and be able to work with.(in 381 reviews)
  • "Great culture and lots of people right out of college to make the transition into a new job easy.(in 276 reviews)
  • "Good Benefits and all you can eat snacks and sodas(in 273 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance and lot of snacks(in 195 reviews)
  • "I am on the promotions team and oh boy I have the best manager and a great team to learn from.(in 90 reviews)
Cons
  • "The pay is low and they hold you at specific positions until you have worked in that position for at least 3 months.(in 270 reviews)
  • "Poor management due to inexperienced employees being prematurely thrust into managerial positions.(in 221 reviews)
  • "Managers don't have experience and there's no guidance and direction for your job.(in 188 reviews)
  • "The salaries are low compared to similar jobs nationwide and very low when compared to Boston and other areas in Massachusetts.(in 153 reviews)
  • "senior leadership in the design org was really kind but misguided(in 105 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Wayfair and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "wayfair"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work

Nov 29, 2021 - CMT
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love working for Wayfair!

Cons

I don't have any cons.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A perfect place to keep your head down

May 12, 2017 - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Wayfair is a fantastic company if you're a software engineer who's looking to keep quiet, and not speak up when management treats you like garbage. And it excels at finding leaders who are willing to go the extra mile to be untrustworthy and make you feel like your job isn't safe (and for real, it's not).

Cons

Let's talk. The company has been growing like crazy, and one thing that was never thought about was "can we actually hire at a sustainable rate, and scale accordingly?" The answer was no on both counts. Software engineers at Wayfair have a history of disappearing. People who enter labs have an especially low success rate (70% make it through, and less than 50% last a whole year). It's basically their way to run people through a burnout gauntlet, and see who survives. And then you have the stories of the people who come in to work and are just asked to resign. You'll see hints of it here on Glassdoor if you dig, and it's even worse than what you read. They actually gathered all the engineers for a big meeting at the beginning of this year. And they said that they were sorry that people felt scared and were sad that people felt like management didn't care. Which is exactly how we felt. They promised that their door was open, and they were going to work hard to set things right. One person out of 500 stood up and asked a really cutting question. AND THEN THEY FIRED HIM! And there were 3 completely different official reasons given about it. It's crazy. The leaders also started up an engineering meeting to keep everyone on the same page and answer anonymous questions. One time someone asked why we couldn't get snow days off, because it was tough to shovel for 3 to 4 hours and still work an 8 hour day. So the leaders proceeded to talk down to us and reprimand us for even thinking about asking a question like this. Turnover has been high over the past year, and the best people are leaving. This worries management, but they still have no idea that the problem is actually them creating a terrible environment. So if you're a good person who cares about the person next to you and leaving things better than you found them, don't bother applying here. But if you're not, and you just want to keep your head down and not question anything, then this is the perfect place for you. And if that's what you want, Wayfair gets 5 stars. Amazing career opportunities if you want to have the same job forever. Incredible senior management that value untrustworthiness. A fantastic culture of watching people next to you disappear. It's truly a perfect company.

808 people found this review helpful

Wayfair Response

Engineering Director

First, I wanted to thank you for providing feedback. Second, I am very sorry to hear that your experience was far from ideal. I know it can be hard to give feedback if you feel management is the problem, but leadership would love to learn about these issues to refine the Wayfair employee experience. We do try to create an open and transparent environment; one thing we’ve started doing is department-wide anonymous surveys. This has been helpful in identifying issues where people don’t feel comfortable speaking up for whatever reason and pinpoint where any issues may exist. As you noted, the company is growing very quickly - our Engineering team alone has grown tenfold over the past five years. I won’t pretend we get it right all the time, but we do aim to scale our teams and our systems reasonably to meet the rapid growth of our business, and we rely on employee feedback to refine these processes. To that end, we’ve put a lot of time and energy into our interview process. And, we closely track our voluntary and involuntary attrition rates to make sure we are keeping high employee retention and so that we can immediately nip any potential issues in the bud. For Wayfair Labs, we’ve made huge strides since the beginning of this program, and our average success rate is now over 90%, with several classes at 100%. We also run management trainings on giving, receiving and soliciting feedback. In these trainings - and in general - we encourage respect for all teammates and partners, communication and collaboration, and we try create opportunities for people to take on new challenges. I am very excited about the work we’re doing to solve tough challenges and there’s an exciting opportunity for our employees to do big things – our goal is to build a team that feels encouraged and empowered to do so. I’m very sorry you didn’t have the experience we try to cultivate. Once again, thank you for this feedback.

3. 5.0

Loving Wayfair

Nov 20, 2021 - Senior Service Consultant in Valley Stream, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people of Wayfair are the best and we all support each other in our Slack channel and Team Huddles. There are many growth opportunities at Wayfair as well.

Cons

We have unhappy customers to deal with, but have been trained in de-escalation techniques.

4. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place

Nov 19, 2021 - QA Software Tester in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Wayfair is a great place to work

Cons

Not flexible enough with time off

5. 4.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Fair place for internship

Nov 17, 2021 - Data Solutions Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Employee discount on Wayfair is really good deal, and you can use it for your friends and family You have a chance to do a project of your choice

Cons

Since the time is short, there is no big cons

6. 5.0
    Former Intern

Great company

Nov 7, 2021 - Anonymous Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very startup mindset working at wayfair. I was a 6 month intern, it was a great environment for beginner-level jobs.

Cons

Had to push for more work at times.

7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Lessons Learned

Nov 14, 2021 - Transportation Manager in Manassas, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The compensation and benefits are highly competitive. Overall Wayfair as a company has a great culture and there are tons of opportunities if you have a great site leader they will ensure you succeed.

Cons

Work-life balance, lack of trust for leadership, your paycheck is your appreciation gift if you are an exempt leader. Always had to negotiate my PTO that I earned.

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0

Fast-Paced But Exciting

Nov 2, 2021 - Senior Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Wayfair has a really great in-office environment. It is work hard, play hard, and you are surrounded by a great, diverse crew that drives results.

Cons

At some points, the job can be stressful

9. 5.0

Join the Wayfair Family!

Oct 26, 2021 - Specialized SSC (Sales and Service Consultant)
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pros include having benefits from day one of employment - it starts on the day your training begins, which is incredibly because there is no probationary period before you're able to enjoy your benefits. There are so many different benefits that are available to you, whether it's healthcare, family planning, employee discounts and perks, or tuition reimbursement, etc. Wayfair's culture is highly focused on DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion). It's a safe place to work and the leadership + coaching you'll receive is outstanding. There are plenty of opportunities to advance in your Wayfair career, and internal mobility within departments is something that's highly supported. Wayfair also has many work from home opportunities and they provide you with all the equipment necessary to begin. This saves you money on commuting! Huge benefit.

Cons

Cons... I don't have many cons with Wayfair. I suppose the only con would be that Wayfair doesn't help you cover a portion of your internet, but that's probably the only thing that I can think of that would be a downside.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Capitalists

Nov 20, 2021 - B2B Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Wayfair seems to somehow manage to attract good talent. You’ll be around people that can do their job despite low pay.

Cons

If you want to work for a company that keeps secrets and pays only what it has to, while constantly harassing employees with quality assurance and pressure to sell more work here. Employee discount is algorithmic.

1 person found this review helpful