Wayne County Detroit, Michigan Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 31, 2017

1.0
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Don't work here unless you want to be underpaid and overworked"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Detroit, MI

Pros

Good co-workers. Great view of Downtown Detroit.

Cons

management in Management and Budget Office is poor and dysfunctional. Computer equipment and software is outdated. Redundant processes that keep you busy most of the day. No telecommunicating and you have to work weekends in the office because management doesn't plan ahead. Very little growth opportunity, will not advance in the Management and Budget Office.

Advice to Management

Invest in process improvement and best practices to become more efficient. Pay people what they are worth !

"Great Opportunity to utilize a variety of skills."

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne County Detroit, Michigan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility of varied tasks day to day. Ability to make a Difference in citizens lives. Building relationships with other community groups and individuals to improve the County.

Cons

Lack of opportunity for growth and favoritism for some. Not environment where you feel comfortable being open with management. Punitive environment when independence is expressed.

Advice to Management

Be open to the creativity and experience of all employees.

3. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne County Detroit, Michigan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you have no other option, it will pay for a Rammen noodle diet and rented leaky roof above your head.

Cons

It is truly a horrible place to work. Employees' concerns will be met with the standard "if you don't like it, leave" response from the administration and management.

Advice to Management

(See above)

"Challenging"

Current Employee - Account Clerk in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Account Clerk in Detroit, MI

Pros

Lunch is an hour. Most offices are close to great restaurants. Knowing the right people equals lions, tigers, and red wings games suite tickets at no cost for every home game.

Cons

No room for growth. Dictatorship. Pay sucks. Managers uneducated. Seniority or education does not matter, popularity does. Most people are high school graduates at best managing people with bachelor degrees or better. Very behind the times. It's like working with dinosaurs.

Advice to Management

Environment is everything. Take a few management training courses and learn to management correctly and professionally.

"It's a job"

Current Employee - Police Officers in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Police Officers in Detroit, MI

Pros

Unlimited amount of overtime. It is a very respectable and professional job to those not in the law enforcement industry.

Cons

Very negative work environment. Our pension has been obliterated and our health insurance has been reduced every contract. Also, we are required to deal with some of the worst human beings on earth (murders, rapist,...).

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to show empathy. We are losing 5-10% of our staff annually. We need to treat the remaining officers with respect and provide incentives for them to stay.

"graphic designers outreach and diversity"

Pros

being right downtown, guardian building is one of the most beautiful buildings in Michigan,

Cons

worst place I ever worked, I was a unpaided graphic design intern for the outreach and diversity, since for some reason my supervisor would not give me a badge, and I could only come up with her, she would keep me waiting the lobby for hours, one time from 8:30 to 1:30, she also expected me to develop a directory, which I had no idea how to make. They also never had a party or gave any gift to there interns

Advice to Management

change everything

"avoid"

Current Employee - Accountant
    Current Employee - Accountant

Pros

There are some great people working there. Wayne County has a nice vacation and holiday package, but this will most likely be cut back.. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Low pay, benefits keep getting reduced while prices increase, terrible upper management, parking is expensive, constant budget cuts, little to no career advancement. Things will be only worse with the deficit the the county has.

"Domestic Relations Specialist"

I have been working at Wayne County Detroit, Michigan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of days off throughout the year (you are given 40+ days off counting vacation, sick and holidays)
    Easy work

Cons

Bad environment
    Coworkers are not helpful
    no incentives/ raises for over 15 years

Advice to Management

Make some changes

"Stay out of the spotlight"

Pros

The single best reason to work for Wayne County is that you may work in the Guardian Building. Finest building in Detroit.

Cons

Things are a little sketchy right now...