Wayne State Reviews in Detroit, MI | Glassdoor

2.0
Wayne State President M. Roy Wilson
M. Roy Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work environment an very accommodating work schedules (in 28 reviews)

• Great benefits for me and live-in boyfriend (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking is expensive and promotions can be very difficult if you are not in the right circles despite your credentials (in 5 reviews)

• There is not much room for growth (in 5 reviews)

1. "Talent Management Coordinator"

Former Employee - Talent Management Coordinator in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Talent Management Coordinator in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are pretty good zero decuctable medical plans and the HMO plans are reasonably priced for a family. I liked most of my co-workers.

Cons

Paying $50 bi-weekly for parking, Position was stressful, poor management, negative enviornment. Management was horrible with no regard to your time. Advertised as a 37.5 hour work week, you will end up working well over 40.

"College of nursing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Calm environment, most of the people are friendly

Cons

No time off for first 6 months, accrue points and get penalized for approved sick time

Advice to Management

Be more compassionate. I was only at this job 5 months and I became ill in March of this year and ended up being off work for being in emergency and goin to doctors and dental appointments. I spoke with my supervisor, she approved the time off and acted as if everything was fine. The week I came back from my doctors appointments they fired me. No sympathy no compassion and I honestly believe they did not care that I was sick. After being terminated I tried to call around and see what i could do nobody wanted to try to help me. The HR reps for college of nursing never returned my calls and I worked in the same office as them! Not only did wayne state fire me, now I am left without health insurance unable to go to doctors appointments and still don't know what's causing my illness. I never expected wayne state university to treat anyone this way.

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and work life balance. Slow pace and no overtime.

Cons

Slow pace and nothing happens quickly. Management is very mediocre as they seem to have a problem with talent retention. The level of pay is ridiculous and the union presence really puts a damper on overall motivation.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Maintain transparency and communicate expectations clearly.

4. "Assistant Professor"

Current Employee - Michigan in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Michigan in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, nice colleagues, good collaboration.

Cons

Bad weather, commute traffic, ill-managed school

"Top Heavy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wayne State has an excellent health care, dental, and vision package with very affordable rates. Wayne State also offers a generous time-off package to full time employees as well as discounts to many mid-town retail establishments and eateries.

Cons

The university has been drastically eliminating jobs without warning while executive administrative salaries have been increasing constantly. The unions are weak and good work is often left unnoticed. The political environment is steep and nepotism runs rampant. Promotions are given based on association rather than ability more often than not.

Advice to Management

Reorganize a fair pay structure and be forth coming with job forecast.

6. "Graduate Teaching /Research Assisstant"

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Troy, MI

I have been working at Wayne State (More than a year)

Pros

I like my research area

Cons

its ranking

not professional

Advice to Management

they should pay more attention to the graduate students

"Unfair labor practices"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Afforded tuition-free education. Completed Bachelors and Masters degrees while employed full-time.

Cons

Mid-Management inadequately trained. Most are hired based on WHO they know, not WHAT they know. Lots of managers, very few support staff. Most support staff overworked, doing more than one job, or doing work outside of their classification.

Advice to Management

Train managers in revelant work skills. Provide less intimidating means to report misuse/abuse by managers.

8. "Adjunct Faculty Instructor"

Current Employee - Part-Time Faculty in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Part-Time Faculty in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Prior to the UPTF-AFT organizing the adjunct/part-time faculty at Wayne State, an instructor usually found out only a week or so prior to the semester starting, whether they had a teaching assignment. Obviously this was stressful and the pay rates were well below average. Thankfully a number of part-time faculty took it upon themselves to start organizing, and after a number of years and enough signatures, the union was recognized. Since then it's been much better. Unfortunately, due to state budgets being cut, many department programs which used part-time faculty have been reduced. The school itself has worked to improve access to best practice teaching methods and technology with investments in The Teaching Commons technology research center and The Office of Teaching and Learning and has worked to improve communication and resource availability with part-time faculty as well.

Cons

Varying degrees of resources provided to part-time faculty across departments including office space, photocopying accessibility and basic technology and technical support. Parking is still a premium on campus and compensation for parking, time on campus for office hours/student support, departmental training and other benefits is still sub-par.

Advice to Management

Strive to on-board more part-time faculty into full-time teaching positions as well as compensate part-time faculty for the many hours of additional time and resources spent.

"If you just want to sit around all day..."

Former Employee - Regulatory Coordinator in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Regulatory Coordinator in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice long holiday breaks, snow days off. Honestly, hard to think of any ... If you have kids they can go to college at WSU for 1/2 off. Boss was oblivious to people taking fake sick days off.

Cons

I worked here for 5 months. The job was horrible. No work to be done, all fellow employees were so miserable as they had been there for 10 years and hardly making 40k. The starting pay is low, even if you have a Master's. Also they make their employees shell out $80 a month for parking. Manager was horrible and offensive to co-workers. This job is good for someone who just wants to kill time on the computer all day and listen to miserable people complain.

Advice to Management

Pay employees more, offer more than 1% raises.

"Very good university"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great research environment for the researchers

Cons

Too many new faculty members.

Advice to Management

Professors should continue to take care of their students after graduation.