Waynesburg College Reviews | Glassdoor

Waynesburg College Reviews

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Am thankful for the opportunity"

Former Employee - Program Specialist in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Program Specialist in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Waynesburg College (More than 8 years)

Pros

The students were by far the best reason to work at WU!

Cons

Small town politics, not enough parking.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach.

2. "Workstudy student-worker"

Former Employee - Student Worker in Waynesburg, PA
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Waynesburg, PA

I worked at Waynesburg College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were wonderful, and they were accommodating to my school schedule and projects. I was able to become a valued member of the team, despite only being a student worker.

Cons

There were not any cons to being a student worker at Waynesburg college. Though I did witness some downsides of being a professional employee.

Advice to Management

Invest in your teachers and departments by hiring full-time faculty and not simply rely on many, many adjuncts (probably done to avoid paying more).

3. "Very Positive, Enjoyable, Treated Well, Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Waynesburg, PA
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Waynesburg, PA

Pros

Good group of people that I worked with directly. Positive attitudes and always upbeat

Cons

Some of the upper managers are not on the same page and therefore do not make decisions that align with each other

Advice to Management

Overall this University is filled with good people. They are what make it a good place to work or go to school

5. "Nice Benefits, small-town feel and operation"

I worked at Waynesburg College full-time

Pros

its like a small town family. Everyone knows each other

Cons

pay was low compared to similar positions elsewhere, sometimes gossipy

Advice to Management

formalize some rules, keep the benefits where they are

"Administration actively targeting faculty."

I have been working at Waynesburg College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great students and colleagues. Beautiful campus. I like that I have the opportunity to share my faith with the students.

Cons

Administration is vindictive. If you question them or cross them on a decision, what out. Some faculty have been black listed and everything they request is denied or rejected. Administration is unpredictable and spreads incorrect information about faculty in order to make themselves look good. I have seen several people burned by incorrect information being spread by administration. Part-time faculty are not valued even though they make up a large percentage of the faculty.

Advice to Management

Let us do our jobs without micro managing everything. Get out of the way and let us teach.

"Unhealthy Professional Environment"

I have been working at Waynesburg College full-time

Pros

Students are respectful and love to learn. Faculty colleagues are caring and skilled. Benefits package has good health insurance and retirement.

Cons

Administrators micromanage and routinely contradict each other. Faculty and staff are caught in situations that cause them to fear for their positions. Administrators place personal professional perks above university management responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Put Christian mission first. Create communication that leads faculty, staff and students toward team goals rather than toward feelings of being coerced and manipulated. Stop maligning faculty and staff members in public and private venues.

"Not a safe place for faculty"

Former Employee - Faculty
    Former Employee - Faculty

Pros

I worked as full-time faculty at Waynesburg for several years. I loved the students and had excellent relationships with colleagues.

Cons

As Waynesburg has become more self-avowedly Christian, upper administrators have aggressively tried to shape the school into a caricature of a Christian college. At the same time, their actions belie very little understanding of Christian intellectual traditions or Christlike behavior. Prospective faculty beware: This is a school that squanders its best resources (faculty) to embrace a defensive, provincial vision that affords no real protections to faculty (or staff) members.

Advice to Management

Learn from colleges that do it better. Actually listen to employees. Stop undermining your own mission.

"Hostile Work Environment"

I have been working at Waynesburg College full-time

Pros

Mainly helpful and friendly profs and staff
    Nice students
    Good health benefits
    Pretty campus

Cons

Hostile, rude, distrusting, secretive higher management, not really Christian
    Good people are overworked
    Good people have been let go for bad reasons.

Advice to Management

Trust your workers
    Don't micromanage
    Make better use of funds instead of paying off people you don't like and taking lots of trips on the company dime.

"Ok place to work"

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor

I worked at Waynesburg College part-time

Pros

There are not many best reasons to work here. It's a very religious university in a small town.

Cons

Waynesburg is in the midst of reorganization and downsizing. Be prepared to have your department cut or merged. Very secretive administration.

Advice to Management

Listen to the students. The rules are overly strict. also - Mores need to be modernized - a little fresh air wouldn't hurt.

"A university with lots of promise but dissapointing"

I worked at Waynesburg College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good colleagues and interesting students.

Cons

The board and upper administration do not support faculty governance, nor trust the faculty. Recent decisions have led the school in a more evangelical mode and away from Reformed values. Faculty generally are afraid to speak in public. Many people have been fired or removed in other ways. Sad.