We Are Social Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

We Are Social Reviews

Updated Oct 15, 2019

3.9
We Are Social CEO Nathan McDonald
Nathan McDonald
Pros
  • "les outils de travail (facebook at work, ordinateurs derni(in 8 reviews)

• "moigne de la bonne ambiance qui r(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work really hard, for long hours(in 6 reviews)

• "Hard to know what anyone actually does day to day, especially senior management(in 5 reviews)

"Great culture with a growing global network"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at We Are Social full-time

Pros

Fun atmosphere, filled with talented and friendly people. Team leaders genuinely care about their teams and individual's growth. Global network has definitely gotten stronger in the last 6 months!

Cons

Necessary changes in the last year have taken some getting used to. There is not always the small, close network, startup feel there used to be, but that's to be expected!

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate changes to the lower level employees

We Are Social2016-06-28
  2. "Great for Creators, Less so for Consumers"

Current Employee - Group Account Director

I have been working at We Are Social full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great aspirations and mobility opportunities.

Cons

Structure and process can vary between offices.

We Are Social2019-10-16
  3. "Intern"

I have been working at We Are Social

Pros

-Lots to learn -Fun and relaxing working environment -Challenges and lots of opportunities -The possibility of becoming full-time

Cons

-Can be stressful -Not very organized

We Are Social2018-08-24

"Hit rock bottom but there's some hope for the future."

I worked at We Are Social full-time

Pros

They recently purged all of the horrible leadership in NY and the new MD really cares about making a change (and hopefully is empowered to do so).

Cons

Too many to list but mainly this feels like the last chance for WAS in NYC so not completely stable right now. What accounts are left?

Advice to Management

Seriously consider exiting the US market and just focus on Europe/Asia where you do respectable work.

We Are Social2017-11-27

"dumpster fire"

Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY

I worked at We Are Social full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you’re Super young and fresh out of school this is a good place to get your feet wet. Later you’ll see learn why it’s so disfunctional compared to any other agency.

Cons

Process was constantly changing to the point that it was non-exisistent. Severely understaffed and management was too busy drinking to notice or care. They’ve fired all those people now but the culture is so deeply steeped in paying people garbage salaries and treating them like sweat shop workers that I can’t imagine it will get better.

Advice to Management

If you want true creatives that want to make award winning work then get an actual creative leader, pay people appropriate salary, and give them the time to make that work amazing.

We Are Social2017-11-21

"Leadership Team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at We Are Social full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly environment Lots of beer and wine Dogs every day SoHo location Great workspace Flexible vacation time Solid maternity/paternity leave policies Health insurance Decent work/life balance for most Global network

Cons

Senior team is uninspiring and spread too thin to be present or helpful Limited mentorship depending on the team Empty promises from leadership Leadership often plays favorites Understaffed accounts Willing to take any project and understaff it for $$$ with limited consideration of actual time it takes to do the work Regularly sells offerings teams are not capable of and junior team is forced to "figure it out... later," ultimately affecting success No trainings or opportunity for growth or new skill sets Limited investment in employees but expect the world from them Messy workflow and new business process

Advice to Management

leadership needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror and realize they may be more the problem than the rest of the office. The office's successes and losses are a direct reflection of your leadership.

We Are Social2017-07-11
  7. "Analyst"

I worked at We Are Social part-time

Pros

Great team, collaborative environment and top-tier clients

Cons

The pay was sub par

We Are Social2017-07-19

"Will get worse before it gets better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at We Are Social full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some smart and passionate people here. About a half dozen rock stars keep the place running. Cool office on the nicest block in Soho. Plenty to alcohol stocked in the fridge...you'll need it. Dog friendly office (which can be both good and bad). "Unlimited" PTO, if you actually get to use it. Health insurance premiums are covered 100%, which is almost unheard of. Pretty flexible working... hours, although you're pretty much expected to be reachable during off hours and weekends. Maternity/paternity benefits are generous, being a UK-based company. Global network for knowledge sharing and collaboration on company intranet.

Cons

There has not been a single piece of PR-able work in the past 2 years. Communication from executive team is almost non existent and what little information is shared tends to contradict itself over time. Resources are spent on boozy lunches, popcorn and karaoke machines rather than investment in the agency. Many broken promises on the vision and roadmap of the agency. Focus is always on new business and... new clients are immediately underserved once they've been won. The global network is strong but interaction with other offices is usually not encouraged due to politics.

Advice to Management

There needs to be serious intervention from the global board for this office to survive. Have seen the ups and downs under the old regime and can see where this is headed.

We Are Social2017-07-11

"Great culture, no growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at We Are Social full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Plenty of alcohol, good community, cool people, collaborative environment, freedom of creativity for the most part, several dogs, lots of projects to work on.

Cons

Management is a mess. There's no training and no mentorship, which makes professional growth uncertain. Creative processes need work. Favoritism is abound. There is often more work than time and people to do it, and there are no project managers to lead, so many employees work crazy hours.

Advice to Management

Invest in training and give the more junior employees the senior leadership they need to succeed. Show that you care about them.

We Are Social2016-10-08

"Terrible leadership with no vision."

I have been working at We Are Social full-time for less than a year

Pros

Unlimited vacation policy Healthcare is free Great junior staff Happy hour on Thursdays Beautiful office location and neighborhood Dog friendly

Cons

Stigma against using vacation days Long hours Understaffed Disrespectful leadership Head of teams don't do anything Work is stolen by leadership No regard for work/life balance

Advice to Management

Overhaul current leadership. Executive team does not know how to nurture teams, and is oblivious to current problems. They do not know how to run a business, and get in their own way. Stop selling away work for so little money, and build some structure. Respect your employees, and take some leadership training.

We Are Social2016-09-16