We Energies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
We Energies President and CEO Gale E. Klappa
Gale E. Klappa

Pros
  • Good working environment, good pay (in 6 reviews)

• Great Pay, and flexible work hours (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It has become a call center factory in the last few years there is a revolving door (in 4 reviews)

• Working significant comp hours and little to no recognition (in 2 reviews)

1. "IT Infrastructure Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Excellent employer and work culture. Very much enjoyed working there for over 18 years prior to relocating. Great pay and benefits.

Cons

Unfortunately, career advancement very limited and very controlled.

2. "Great company to co-op/intern for!"

Former Employee - Co-Op Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Co-Op Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Fantastic management, great team environment. As with any internship/co-op there is some typical intern filler work, but they really do make an effort to give co-ops meaningful work. I got to be apart of some really fun and meaningful projects during my time at We-Energies. Engineers and management are all very friendly and are never upset about answering questions and getting co-ops up to speed. Some other quick points:
    - The pay is competitive
    - There is a gym in the building for all employees.
    - You cycle between departments every semester so you not only learn how everything works, but you learn what works best for you.
    - Completion of the co-op program will almost always lead to a formal job offer.

Cons

As an internship/co-op I give We Energies 5 stars. If I were a regular employee, I would have to give them 4 stars. They lose a star for being antiquated in some respects. At least in the group I was in, engineers could not work from home. Having the opportunity to work from home one day a week, or at least when you have a valid reason (your child being at home sick) is becoming a staple for most companies, but not here. There are other little dated things too (but these are minor complaints)... Drafting requests for example have to be both printed and emailed to the drafters. Save some time, money, trees, ink, and just keep it digital!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you guys do for co-ops, it's a great program. Start allowing all employees to take home laptops, and not just management. Workplaces being flexible and allowing employees to sometimes work from home is incredibly common, especially for engineers. If you want to continue drawing top talent, you have to offer what other companies offer!

"Management Employee"

Current Employee - Management in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Management in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at We Energies full-time

Pros

Even during an economic downturn, everyone needs Gas and Electric.

Cons

The last few years have been very difficult. Most departments are under staffed and over worked. Stress levels are extremely high! A lot of people are looking to leave the organization. Other utility companies pay much better and offer much better benefits packages. Current benefits are sub par with other organizations of similar sizes.

Advice to Management

You're out of touch with what your employees need. Staffing is too low and you'r employees are not being productive but spend their days putting out fires instead of accomplishing their jobs. The current leadership focuses their time cutting budgets which leaves no resources for building people who are the future of the organization.

"Revolving Door....Wonder Why"

Former Employee - Customer Consultant in Pewaukee, WI

I worked at We Energies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Potential to earn lots of $$$. Safe & Secure Environment. Looks great on a resume.

Cons

You can have all those pros above at the expense of your life and sanity. When they tell you mandatory OT believe me they mean it to its fullest extent. From April through October there is a usual 2 hours Mandatory OT as well as up to 2 hours Voluntary OT and a possible 2 hour hold over each day. If you do not work the OT, it effects your numbers tremendously. So having a personal or family life is really difficult. Most consultants leave within 1-2 years. Moving up in the company is based mostly on the amount of time you have been there and not you as a person. You can expect to wait a good 8-10 years before having enough seniority to work Monday-Friday Day shift unless you are seasonal then its a toss up between a good schedule and no vacation time! Even though you are an adult who is held to your responsibility of work by your numbers, they still nit pick at every little thing like you are a child. Saftey is a big factor there too. So much, that you cannot walk & talk on your phone even hands free. So, you sit at a desk for 10 or more hours a day, you cannot choose to walk and talk (IE: make appts, etc) while on break, by the time you get off everything is closed. Union is a BIG JOKE as far as protecting you. Management does everything YOU are not allowed to do. (EI: Be on your cell phone while at your desk etc) Managent shows massive favoritism (like we don't know and don't talk to each other) You are told to go to management for help or questions but more than half of them have no idea how to help or what to do and ususally come to the consultants to ask how to handle something. Consultants are expected to treat customers like neighbors and friends but get little to no respect or compassion in return when needed.

Advice to Management

Take time to learn the job of the consultants you manage and discipline, treat employee equally, not just amongst your team but each manager or Team Leader should be following the same rules and guidelines as the other Managers or consultants.

6. "Customer Consultant"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Pewaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Pewaukee, WI

I worked at We Energies part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Enjoyed helping customers, overtime paid after 8 hrs not 40 hrs. Meal money offer along with premium pay.

Cons

Management unprofessional and unethical as a result of personal relationship between managers and supervisor's creating an hostile environment of intimidation in the call center. Supervisors lack knowledge and the ability to do their job. Environment is stressful

Advice to Management

Upper management should monitor both entry and mid level management for proper training on how to lead a successful staff of customer consultants.

7. "Great Pay. Horrible job."

Former Employee - Seasonal Telecollector in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Seasonal Telecollector in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Really really really Great Pay

Cons

Really really really Poor Management

Advice to Management

If you're all about money don't mind being scoened for literally every little thing then this is a great

8. "We energies IT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at We Energies full-time

Pros

Above average wages
    Great people
    Nice location
    Good technology

Cons

Hours
    On call
    Expensive parking
    Engagement activities are lacking
    Fostering a fun environment can be challenging

Advice to Management

Flexible hours and alternative work schedules are areas to rethink.

9. "Previous employee for over one year (Call Center)"

Former Employee - Customer Consultant in Pewaukee, WI

Pros

Great pay and decent benefits. The opportunity to gain skills and techniques that can carried with you throughout your career.

Cons

The job is extremely demanding, and schedules are seniority based. So, employees who have been in the company longer have better schedules. If you are a new hire, full-time, look forward to working the 3:30-midnight shift for about 2-3 years before your seniority increases. There is not a lot of room for advancement in the company, it takes roughly five years to move around to different positions. They are firm believers in micromanagement, and the employees know more than the supervisors. The team leaders are lazy, and they only work to please higher management.

Advice to Management

Please higher better leaders and learn to be most sensitive to employee needs.

10. "Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at We Energies (More than a year)

Pros

Employees were very nice. Many have been there since they were teenagers and they will retire there. We Energies is proud of their long term, committed employees.

Cons

I do not have any cons to list.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the hard workers you have and recognize the slackers.

"Decent place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at We Energies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

WE Energies pays above average and the benefits are okay.

Cons

The pay is ok, but could be better. Many mid-level managers are more concerned with their bonuses and pleasing their superiors than actually doing their job and doing it appropriately.
    Depending on your profession, it may be difficult to get experience other than small bits and pieces. The company is large and tasks are very granular.

Advice to Management

Please understand that when your employee engagement survey comes back low, usually it's about you changing your style and the way you treat them, not about the money. If you're looking for improvement, look to yourself to treat your people like peers and humans.