WePay "growing pains" Reviews | Glassdoor

WePay Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Jul 25, 2016

3.8
WePay CEO Bill Clerico (no image)
Bill Clerico
Pros
  • "deeply care about employee happiness and work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

• "Free lunch, good salary, friendly staff, good goals(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "The workload is heavy and as with any rapidly growing company, there are growing pains related to new processes as the company scales effectively(in 6 reviews)

• "Payments business world is already crowded and wepay is unfortunately one more payments startup(in 2 reviews)

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at WePay full-time

Pros

+Company is growing fast in an untapped market +Major decisions are made based on strong core values +You're empowered to take action, solve problems and add value to the business +Your peers are smart (IQ and EQ), passionate and quirky +An authentic and transparent culture

Cons

The company is growing fast, which is a great thing, but there's still a lot to figure out. The workload is heavy and as with any rapidly growing company, there are growing pains related to new processes as the company scales effectively.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire top talent and invest in employees. It's our staff that'll make WePay successful.

WePay2016-07-25

"Work hard, play hard"

Former Employee - Deadpool Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at WePay full-time for more than a year

Pros

WePay's a group of really bright, quirky, hard-working people. I know that's not the words you'd use to describe your average payments company, but it describes WePay pretty well. I have fond memories of this place. The execs are awesome. I know that can sound like vague marketing gibberish, but I mean it. They're down-to-earth, funny, and really good at what they do. The founders are nice but intense. They're... laser-focused on company-building and I've only earned respect for them with time. Engineering is an extremely well-run ship. Yes, there's legacy code to clean up, but every good startup winds up rewriting their codebase several times. Scaling is intrinsically hard. That's just how things work. Recruiting went out of their way to get excellent high-level ICs and management on board and they're absolutely fantastic. You'll become really familiar with OLTP semantics and API design and you'll become good at both. The startup's doing really, really well. There are growing pains involved, but that's going to happen anywhere you have rapid growth. I can't explain how much fun I had working here. I probably left 10x a better applications engineer and a lot of that comes from the humans-first, work hard / play hard culture of WePay.

Cons

It's a mid-sized startup. Yes, you will work hard, there is business risk, and the org is in flux and rapidly changing. That's what success looks like. If you can't handle that, then you're probably not cut out for startups.

Advice to Management

I think you guys have a good handle of things. Keep executing.

WePay2016-02-25

"High Growth, Exciting Technology, Great Place to Work for Career Growth and Financial Security"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at WePay full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a veteran in silicon valley I have worked at many start ups that have gone through IPO and acquisition. I have never felt as excited about a company I work for as much as WePay. I've read reviews about execution and I don't understand, we're tackling monumental challenges that can't be fixed over night. The growth of WePay in the last year has been awesome and fun to be a part of, ranked #62 in Inc5000 two... weeks ago. As we grow I'm really interested in the growth of my career and others. Management truly values the individual at WePay and wants to help each and everyone grow their career. They seem to really understand and get that each employee is NOT a number. The management team doesn't just talk about transparency and invest in relationships both externally and within but actual practice it to a point that I've never seen before. I'm not saying that everything is perfect and there aren't growing pains, as we double or triple the company size in a year keeping the core values they hold so important to them will be a challenge. But so far what I’ve seen is Management is investing a lot in their people infrastructure to address the rapid growth and work damn hard to make sure the core values don’t go anywhere as we grow. Overall, I'm here because I was won over by the people. The people at WePay is the #1 reason I'm here, I love coming to work......everything else can be tackled.

Cons

Scaling is challenging, I know a lot of time is being addressed in this area so keep tackling the challenge.

Advice to Management

Hyper growth comes with accelerated problems. Keeping an eye on those can be challenging. I feel the company is heading in the right direction, as any high paced company it won't take much to steer of course. Keep doing what you're doing while keeping an eye on the little things so they don't become problems. Overall, keep doing what you're doing!

WePay2015-08-23

"A Rocketship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at WePay full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The management team is highly experienced and very professional. - Company culture is healthy and uplifting. The best way I can describe it is that the culture is unique blend of determination to win while remaining focused on supporting one another. Authenticity and innovation is celebrated and hard work is recognized. -Growing like crazy! The engineering team is hiring to meet demand and to set our company up... for long-term success as we scale. - Many wonderful perks: free catered lunch, subsidized gym, unlimited Caltrain, stocked kitchen with snacks, team and company outings, stock options, comfortable work stations (excellent chairs and adjustable height desks so you can sit or stand), new office.

Cons

-Typical growing pains associated with a rapidly expanding startup: HR is virtually non-existent but that is being addressed promptly. Company orientation and on-boarding is still a work-in-process. -Long(ish) expected hours for a startup, and since lunch is catered, you can find yourself working all day with few breaks.

Advice to Management

- Get an HR team up and running to iron out kinks in company protocol and administration so that employees can be more effective at their jobs and not worry about simple things like benefits, payroll, etc. - Encourage better community as the company doubles in size.

WePay2015-08-14

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at WePay full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is growing and if you want to do good work, you can make a difference here and be recognized for it. The culture is strong, the new office is great, and it feels like a team.

Cons

Some growing pains are here for sure, things are in flux, and the company has only seen growth so it is yet to be seen how it handles it's first (inevitable?) downturn. We seem to have a history of being too ambitious, but so far it has seemed to work.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Focus on a great product. Over deliver, under promise.

WePay2015-08-07

"Great team, exciting business opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at WePay full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Rapid growth mode, so talented employees have lots of opportunity to spread their wings and grow professionally - Open, transparent culture that encourages feedback - Mature, experienced management team with genuine commitment to values

Cons

- Some growing pains - the "champagne problems" of a company on a fast growth trajectory

Advice to Management

- Don't lose the fun as we grow into a more mature organization. Use this exciting growth as an opportunity to keep promoting from within.

WePay2015-02-27
  7. "An engaging, caring, and solid place to work."

I have been working at WePay full-time

Pros

-Great leadership and the CEO is a really nice guy concerned about his employees -Meaningful work processing payments for small businesses and fundraisers for individuals -Great work perks: catered lunches, stocked kitchen, $50 monthly credit for fitness, stock options -Opportunities to take ownership on projects and make an impact -Management likes to promote within for employees who show initiative

Cons

-Some product deficiencies that need to be fixed -Growing pains of being a startup and rapidly expanding company -Can be a bit stressful, sometimes longer hours needed -No clear career track yet

Advice to Management

Continue caring and showing that passion for doing the right thing. There's always tough calls to make, but continuing to being upfront and transparent with employees is valued.

WePay2015-01-22
  8. "Great company in an exciting industry"

Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at WePay full-time

Pros

Big customers, revenue is growing fast, the product solves a real problem, our customers value our services, casual but professional working environment, strong executive team, energetic working environment, lots of freedom.

Cons

The company has evolved a lot, so there are some growing pains around internal communication. There has been some turnover in the engineering leadership, which has caused our engineering team to struggle (though it looks like we're making some big investments there). Tough competition; highly regulated industry, which can be frustrating.

WePay2014-09-24