Wealthfront Reviews

Updated Mar 17, 2020

4.4
Wealthfront President & CEO Andy Rachleff
Andy Rachleff
  1. "Great leadership and promising outlook"

Current Employee - IOS Engineer

I have been working at Wealthfront full-time for less than a year

Pros

- the amount of transparency is crazy, results in a lot of trust in leadership - very engineering-driven culture, over half of the company are engineers - some of the best engineers i've worked with - not only impressive technical expertise but also great collaboration and people skills which def isn't seen everywhere - managers really try to take care of their reports in the ways they can while giving plenty of autonomy - open and positive culture, so many smart and open-minded people who really believe in what we are doing - i learned so much about the industry and our efforts after i started and have a lot of confidence in our vision and direction This is the first company I cared to write a Glassdoor review for - it's definitely the best company I've worked at.

Cons

we have been growing really fast so like all growing companies we need to figure out the changes necessary to support our growth as we go.

Wealthfront2020-03-18
  2. "Wealthfront is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter

I have been working at Wealthfront full-time

Pros

Amazing product, amazing people, lot's of career growth opportunity.

Cons

Normal growing pains for a fast growing unicorn.

Wealthfront2019-10-15
  3. "amazing growth this year"

Current Employee - Non-tech

I have been working at Wealthfront full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tremendous business growth this year. Brilliant leadership. Good people.

Cons

Brand new office in Palo Alto (which is a pro for many, and a con for SF residents)

Wealthfront2019-08-20
  4. "Former employee review"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist

I have been working at Wealthfront full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great product, wonderful and intelligent people

Cons

Growing pains, lots of it

Wealthfront2019-07-11

"Great product and mission, questionable middle management"

4.0

I worked at Wealthfront full-time

Pros

Strong product Great mission and vision Good growth

Cons

Weak middle management, particularly in engineering and product management

Wealthfront2018-12-16

"mission- and data-driven team"

Current Employee - Data in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Wealthfront full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People care about the mission of the company and the management is transparent. You will work with very high-quality people.

Cons

Not everyone is excited about fintech

Wealthfront2018-11-21

"Great product, stellar team, in a bit of a rough patch"

4.0

I worked at Wealthfront full-time

Pros

- Great tech culture. Lot of opportunities to learn and grow working on cool projects. - Killer product. Senior management is determined to ship only amazing, delightful, valuable products. - People are fantastic across every department. - When the market's hot, the bottom line soars.

Cons

- When the market's not doing as well, morale dips. Unfortunate that that aspect of culture is tied to something out of the company's control. - Can sometimes burn people out by working them too hard or on things they don't want to in order to keep the company on track to exit.

Wealthfront2018-11-12

"Solid company, A+ engineering team"

I worked at Wealthfront full-time

Pros

Wealthfront has one of the best engineering organizations of all the companies I've been at. I joined a few years ago as a new college grad and I was immediately blown away by not just the level of engineering talent but also the fantastic engineering culture. As an engineer, you are expected to take on leadership roles in every cross functional project and you'll learn not just how to become better technically but also be a much more effective leader. Wealthfront takes good engineering practices very seriously and our CTO has been successful at keeping the organization aligned to those principles. As a result, test coverage is very high, the CI/CD pipeline is top-notch (code to production in half an hour!), all infrastructure is defined as code etc. You'll also get to work on very complex problems at the very heart of the financial system, and it's invigorating that every project you work on has a huge impact (a system you write could very well cost legacy banks/brokers millions of dollars a year to operate). Regarding adoption of new technologies, I have to disagree with some previous reviews. Having gotten the chance to work on multiple teams and having touched most parts of the stack from physical infra to frontend, I'd say that Wealthfront's choice of technologies values factors such as stability, reliability, size of technology's community, switching costs, and pragmatism over factors such as merely how new or cool that technology is. If by switching to a new technology that has unclear gains over the existing one but will incur a large time cost on the organization, then staying with existing tech is the obvious choice. That said, if a technology has real value we've been readily embracing them. There are a bunch of exciting new technology projects going on right now which will involve the whole engineering org.

Cons

Need to pick up more on hiring because given the number of projects and initiatives being pursued, the team is stretched a bit thin. But i'm optimistic that with the new changes from engineering leadership things will look up soon.

Wealthfront2018-07-20

"Once a promising star past its prime"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Wealthfront full-time for more than a year

Pros

The development environment is the heaven of the engineers. The code is well-architected and thoroughly-tested, and you can run everything offline. The TDD and CI/CD make you super productive, you can basically write the tests, implement your code, run tests locally to make sure it behaves as expected, submit your PR, get it approved, and let the systems do the rest. If everything goes well, your code will be in production in 30 minutes. Most of the engineers are from top schools. If you are a new graduate you will learn a lot in the first few years.

Cons

The production environment is so outdated. Most of the services, except data infrastructure which is the only cloud-native one, run on dedicated servers so you can't use anything AWS or GCP. On-call is a nightmare. On average you get paged once or twice a day, no matter it is office hours, midnights or weekends, and you are expected to fix that immediately since they are either user-facing or money-related. If you are experienced engineers join as E4, basically it will be the top of the ladder since E5 or above is only for oldtimers or insiders. The leadership team created some guidelines and rules, for example, promotion criteria and expected tenure in each level, however, you also keep seeing exceptions. When these exceptions don't happen to you, you know you are not the insiders.

Wealthfront2018-07-13

"Brilliant engineers, terrible management"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Wealthfront full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Engineering team is astoundingly good. The set the example for what all engineering teams should aspire to be - talented, motivated, and diverse. - You will learn the ins and outs of finance and banking, for better or worse (be prepared to learn how very old banks are in their approach to technology). - Free food! - Excellent Customer Service team that is the epitome of calm and relaxed, especially when dealing with customers who are sensitive about their money. - Sits right on the train tracks, so the commute is easy-ish - Very young and high energy employees - End of year reward for hard work.

Cons

- The CTO is scared of technology and refuses to listen to the subject matter experts that he hires. He insists things be done in a very late 90's manner. - Speaking of the CTO, don't expect to actually receive any useful feedback or even talk to him. He prefers to speak through other people and is incapable of managing anyone directly. - Expect the CEO and CFO/COO to talk a lot about respect in the workplace, then watch the CEO berate employees in front of everyone, typically using very abusive language. - You will most likely have a TERRIBLE manager. Don't worry though, they will be failed upwards fairly quickly and you will be re-organized under a new and equally terrible manager, unless you are lucky enough to get the ONE good manager. - No raises. - No path for promotion. - If you are not promoted within a certain amount of time, you are fired. - There is no set time frame in which you should expect to be promoted or any goals to focus on for promotion. Either you are liked by the execs and your manager, or you are not. There is no half way. - Employee reviews are not based on your skillset or impact on the company, but rather if people like you or not. Employees will blatantly lie on your reviews to keep you from earning a possible end of year bonus. - There is a single bonus for your team that is given out to a single person at the end of the year. Refer to above statement about reviews to determine who gets the bonus. - Don't bother applying if you are not a recent college graduate, unless you are applying to be an executive, in which case you should expect to be fired by the CEO after 1 year.

Wealthfront2018-05-16