Weather Underground Reviews | Glassdoor

Weather Underground Reviews

3.8
Cameron Clayton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Cared deeply about weather and the science"

I worked at Weather Underground full-time

Pros

Company powered by passion for the weather, science, and the community

Cons

Ads and ad revenue galore

2. "Good Times"

Former Employee - Software Engineer - Front End in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer - Front End in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Weather Underground full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, laid back work environment
    Using modern technologies
    Try to give you work you're interested in

Cons

Office moving out of San Francisco

"Once Great Company Ended by Acquisitions and Executives"

I worked at Weather Underground full-time

Pros

Lots of data to work with

Cons

Inundated with corporate bureaucracy

Advice to Management

Four years after The Weather Company’s acquisition of Weather Underground, IBM acquired the The Weather Company. Weather Underground was left with poor leadership which allowed the executives to dictate priorities. What was once a innovative company driven to provide the most accurate weather data was quickly turned into an extra revenue source for The Weather Company fueled by ads and dismissed the once-thriving community of weather enthusiasts.

At the end of 2017, in a seemingly desperate attempt to save money, the Weather Company execs decided to end what remained of the dwindling Weather Underground team in San Francisco with two options for the employees. Either relocate to Atlanta or find new jobs. Unsurprisingly, not one of the ~25 employees accepted the Atlanta relocation. Now The Weather Company scrambling to keep what is left of wunderground.com up and running.

It soon became clear The Weather Company had no idea about the inner-workings of wunderground.com and it’s apps. The ongoing transition of Weather Underground to Atlanta is widely regarded as a bad move by employees on both sides.

"What was once amazing, has spoiled rotten"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Weather Underground full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone I worked with directly were so excited to make new products and change the industry. When employees were left to create on their own, without management meddling, the outcomes were fantastic and our users appreciated the products. Everyone wanted to help each other and the community that was created was strong. There was a great culture of fun and getting the work done collaboratively.

However after time, the employees have left en masse and the culture/people Pro is no longer.

Cons

The company has been notorious in not paying it's employees near any standard of San Francisco pay.

Management changed to a boys club in the past year and half, and no longer cared about employees, just the bottom line. Senior management get their roles by friendship with higher management, without any real weather know-how.

Management refused to listen to the employees and micro managed them all until no product was left. They only care about giving impassioned speeches to "rally" the troops "be a viking not a victim". In the end those speeches are hollow and management never actually works on fixing any issues with the website, company or employees.

Advice to Management

Poor management over the past year is what drove the company into the ground, the company lost so many of it's employees to quitting because of the awful management, poor pay, and not releasing products that were needed/wanted by our users. The companies loss is solely on management's shoulders, and no one else's.

"Marketing"

I worked at Weather Underground full-time

Pros

Before it's 2 acquisitions in 5 years, Weather Underground was the most amazing place to work. The culture, the work, and the communities that were built were inspiring and made me proud to call Weather Underground my employer. Then the first acquisition by The Weather Channel happened. Although our offices grew our opportunities for growth, both professionally and as a company, were being sequestered. The old-school management style of The Weather Channel, based out of Atlanta, were hierarchical and often was a "boys club". A lack of direction coupled with a constant stream of outsiders being brought in with lofty titles like "VP of Corporate Internal Pivotal Strategy" and "General Manager of the Head of International Growth" created chaos. But through it all the people who worked Weather Underground were passionate, creative, and knew who the Weather Underground user was. They saw through the corporate BS and kept beating to their own drum. They were like family and I was proud to have worked with each and every one of them.

Cons

A long, long time ago Weather Underground stood as beacon of informative weather data in the sea of clickbait, full screen takeovers, and reality TV shows that the competition was producing. After two acquisitions---first by The Weather Channel (aka the makers of the clickbait and reality TV shows) and then a second by IBM, the world's largest technology company, the fiery soul of Weather Underground has been officially put out. Gone are the days when Weather Underground fostered communities of weather nerds to share their passion for weather data. Nowadays it's all about "the data" and how much they can suck it from their users. Innovation has stopped. Roles have been cut. If you're looking for a workplace that will give you the opportunity to grow this is not the place for you. If you're looking for a workplace that will give you autonomy this is not the place for you. WU is a white dwarf, slowly dying as the space around it consumes it whole.

Advice to Management

Just give up already. It's dead.

6. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Weather Underground full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great work environment.

Cons

No cons. Was a joy working there.

7. "Amazing place to work!!!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

* Work culture, people, you get to learn a lot, new ideas are always encouraged, open office layout.

Its a dream job and an opportunity of lifetime!!

Cons

Nothing at all, its a great place to work for!

"Most creative, engaging place I have ever worked. A truly bottom up organization."

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Weather Underground full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best place I have ever worked. My coworkers are truly curious and hard working yet light hearted. We love what we do and give the highest quality weather data to nearly 20 million people. With a positive and fun work environment and a great work-life balance, t's hard to ask for anything better.

Cons

Hard to think of any. I wish I could take a three month sabbatical and continue working here for a long time.

"Fun company, great people but stifling upper management"

I worked at Weather Underground full-time

Pros

Passionate bunch of people who believe in doing the right thing, and making great products while having bucket loads of fun.

Cons

Upper management can be a meddling which stifles innovation

"Great Team!"

Former Employee - Media Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Media Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Weather Underground (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small company, closely knit, fun yet professional environment. Deadline driven but cool about it, don't look over your shoulders every minute.

Cons

Sometimes slightly dysfunctional. Office not very well organized with little structure - but that was part of the fun of it sometimes.

Advice to Management

Add more structure and better communication between teams. People weren't afraid to express opinions, but often things got left by the wayside.