Weathernews Americas Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 13, 2017

2.7
Jeremy Usher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company to work for, but expect the Japanese work mentality to hold back any innovation"

I have been working at Weathernews Americas Inc. full-time

Pros

-Upward mobility in the company and the flat structure allows you to create your own path
    -Teamwork environment
    -Free lunch on Wednesdays
    -If you're about internationalism and like talking to people from other cultures and countries you'll enjoy the job.

Cons

-Japanese business mentality creates hostility to workers at times and can really bring down morale.
    -Old style of working with work/life balance not exactly existing. Expect to have to work on Japans business hours in order to get anything accomplished
    -The competition is beating us out with systems driven content and price wars make it challenging to maintain customers.
    -Everything is a process. Nothing can be easily accomplished without having to talk to 3-5 different people in a chain internally. It makes for really simple tasks into monumental challenges.
    -The tech of Japan is really lagging behind that of the US or EU. I constantly feel that it takes years to develop anything and by the time it's developed we've missed the boat.

Advice to Management

Hop, Skip, Jump. Dragging out a process that should only take a month into 3 to 6 months hinders peoples trust in the companies capabilities. With the commoditization of weather approaching faster and faster, the company needs to realize that it needs to move quickly in order to be a first mover or risk becoming irrelevant

2. "Great work, terrible company"

Former Employee - Voyage Planner in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Voyage Planner in Norman, OK

I worked at Weathernews Americas Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As a ship router, the work feels important and useful to our clients. PTO earning rate is fairly generous, and health insurance was top notch.

Cons

Good luck actually using PTO. Company was unfriendly and not very understanding of employees with families. Pay scale was based on some very dubious "reviews," and it takes two years of "excellent" (nearly impossible for those already higher up on the scale) reviews to be moved up on the pay scale. Managers don't care about your strengths/weaknesses, they want you to stick to the company line no matter what.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding to employees with families. Be more willing to adjust expectations to employees' strengths/weaknesses.

"Not too bad"

Former Employee - Meteorologist in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Meteorologist in Norman, OK

I worked at Weathernews Americas Inc. (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work was fin and exciting, I love weather so it is great to deal with it every day.

Cons

Sometimes had to do shift work which is hard to adjust. Pace of work can be overwhelming if it's your first job out of school

"Message Control/Data Entry"

Former Employee - Message Control Specialist in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Message Control Specialist in Norman, OK

I worked at Weathernews Americas Inc. part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food sometimes
    Can listen to music
    Take breaks whenever you want
    Relaxed dress code

Cons

Passive aggressive coffee emails
    No paid time off
    No raises

Advice to Management

Include incentives for being a good employee.

"Great meteorology job"

Former Employee - Marine Forecaster in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Marine Forecaster in Norman, OK

Pros

Great pay. Rotating shifts are set up so that an individual will usually work the same days each week, making it easier to have a personal life.

Cons

Relations with parent company in Japan are sometimes not where they should be

Advice to Management

Japan needs to make the Norman office feel more secure.

6. "Poor communication with managers, but learned alot while employed there."

Former Employee - Lead UI/Graphics Engineer
    Former Employee - Lead UI/Graphics Engineer

Pros

I learned alot while I was there about mobile web applications and was able to add new experiences to my resume. Although it isn't a job I would've wanted to retire from, it was a stepping stone to advancing my career.

Cons

Poor communication between managers and project managers, and even worse communication between project managers and developers and team members. Japanese office didn't know what was going on in SF office and didn't understand the American operation. The SF office ended up being downsized and the web development operations were moved to the Oklahoma headquarters and many employees in the SF office were laid off.

Advice to Management

Better communication with staff would've been great.

"Control is part of the culture"

I worked at Weathernews Americas Inc. full-time

Pros

Left alone to develop your own ideas, free breakfasts and a drinks room. The company has great potential and is currently a leader in the Weather industry.

Cons

Long hours, assessments are based on your "Leaders opinion" not on facts or output, 1 work related suicide in the last 4 years, poor communication, constant fabrication of documents and services for clients and staff

Advice to Management

Re-structure your current style, a company with great potential. To reach that potential stop micro managing