Web International English Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I got paid on time and the correct amount each time (in 10 reviews)

• Good lesson plans, good colleagues, honest employer (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • And, being new to the country, these foreign teachers had no way to know any different (in 11 reviews)

• Lesson plans take a while to prepare, certainly negotiate your pay especially if you feel that your capable, competent and qualified to do the job (in 5 reviews)

1. "ESL teacher"

Pros

Great work environment with a positive culture

Cons

pay was not suitable for the work

2. "Student service focused"

Pros

Professional environment and lots of opportunity to gain new skills.

Cons

Not easy to get vacation time during the 'peak' seasons, summer and winter

Advice to Management

Focus on clear communication on future projects.

"Always paid on time"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher

Pros

Paid on time
    Willing to work with you for time off
    flexible schedule
    Most people have two consecutive weekdays off

Cons

Management is lacking
    Out of date teaching material
    Management is inflexible concerning anything not standard (not willing to negotiate)
    Majority of employees don't speak English
    No upward mobility
    Only 5 days annual vacation, that doesn't increase
    Compensation package does not allow for inflation

Advice to Management

allow foreign staff the ability to advance to management
    update the course ware
    keep your compensation package up to date with current costs

"eel teavher"

Pros

good hours
    great students
    nice office work space
    great eye candy
    flexible

Cons

sometimes leaders are racist
    difficult to get off on last min notice
    they don't value your work

Advice to Management

hire more people from america not just random white people from non english speaking countries

5. "Happy Goal Kids Teacher"

I worked at Web International English full-time

Pros

Easy hours. Lots of free time. Easy to work with and sociable team. Relaxed working environment.

Cons

Strict impersonal management. No consideration for employee ideas and feelings. More focused on getting kids to sign up for class rather than teaching actual classes.

Advice to Management

Listen to and respect the teachers you have. There was a lot of discontent over how management interacted with teachers, especially when teachers moved on from the company.

"Good for the wrong reasons"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher

I have been working at Web International English full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly, the best thing about working for this company was the ability to make friends with the students. Most of the students are over twenty, and they often were willing to take the teachers out to dinner and hang out. The teaching itself is really easy, because lessons plans are already provided... after you teach a lesson a couple times, you barely need to prepare anything. The only lesson you really have to prepare for are demos, and English Corner, which is a free topic. Some Webs request different levels at different times during the week, but the one I was at asked me to do one for all levels. The pay is really good. I was paid 7000 rmb for the first two trial months, 8000rmb the next four months and 9000rmb for the remainder of my contract (6months). I probably couldn't requested 10,000 or 11,000 rmb a month if I chose to remain another year. The pay is the only reason I stayed as long as I did. Apparently if you stay a few years, you can move up to bigger cities like Shanghai, and request positions with more responsibility, and higher pay. You're also only teaching at max 5 classes a day. Sometimes I only taught 2 classes a day, but you still get paid the full amount.

Cons

The main thing was the difference of culture. My supervisor didn't enjoy being my supervisor, nor did she want to help me with my Visa needs. She consistently reminded me this wasn't supposed to be her job and was only helping me because Human Resources didn't speak English. That's a huge joke to me. Human Resources doesn't speak English? This is apparently not the only Web where this problem happened. The heads of the school seemed to do little to nothing, and almost spoke the least amount of English. The office was also very catty. My fellow foreign teacher and I almost left because we were so sick of the rampant gossip that happened right in front of us. Some of the employees were not aware we spoke Mandarin and would talk openly about us. This got out of control. There was little to no training, aside from me reading a powerpoint, and asked not to discuss the three T's: Tibet, Tiananmen Square, and Taiwan. Your advice for the company is not taken. Overall I didn't even finish my contract. I left 3 months early. My supervisor had a super negative attitude that I couldn't stand.

Advice to Management

Management really needs to work on having the foreign teachers connect with the rest of the company. Sometimes I hardly felt like an employee, and was clearly in the understanding that my opinion about things didn't matter. Treat your foreign teachers like they apart of the company, which they are! Include them in business meetings! Why are you having employee meetings but you don't invite the most important employees? The teachers!

7. "It was an amazing experience."

Former Employee - ESL Teacher
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher

I worked at Web International English full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cultural and language immersion. You can network with many other nationalities. Help others.

Cons

Not knowing the local spoken language. In large cities, this usually not a problem.

Advice to Management

Please use more efficient agents that can help guide the foreign teachers through the visa process and help grant work visas.

8. "Easygoing, relaxing work environment"

Former Employee - English Teacher
    Former Employee - English Teacher

I worked at Web International English full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff, teachers and students are mostly friendly and easy to work with. The job is clearly defined so that you don't need to do much prep work in advance, especially after doing it for a couple months. It's an ok job if you are a new grad looking for work to stay or travel in China. For more career oriented people, the potential salary is a bit disappointing.

Cons

Low salary and not much room for growth either. Lessons can be boring after teaching the same lesson several times, especially low level lessons. Some lesson plans seem old and out-dated

Advice to Management

Need to update lesson plans more regularly, encourage student/teacher involvement in this.

9. "The company is great, the work is easy, but management sucks..."

Current Employee - Foreign Language Teacher in Nanjing, Jiangsu (China)
    Current Employee - Foreign Language Teacher in Nanjing, Jiangsu (China)

I have been working at Web International English full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All materials are provided, students are very receptive, the work is fun and simple. It’s easy to make friends and have fun

Cons

Management tries to cheat you out of your salary constantly. Make sure you negotiate way more than you want in salary negotiation because you may be suck with that salary for years...

Advice to Management

Learn the value of your staff...

"Boring, Easy, Low Paid"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher

I have been working at Web International English full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You always get paid on time. But that is about it.

Cons

You will always have 5 hours of work everyday that you work....on top of PPT that you have to do for Social Clubs. You only get Chinese Holiday and not the whole holiday and 5 annual holidays. The students cant fail so they always move up, so you have students who are not able to handle higher level classes. Out-dated courseware. Management doesn't speak to us unless they have to. NO MEDICAL INSURANCE!!!!! They tell you that you have it, but you don't. Because you make more than the local teachers they basically tell you that you have no right to complain. Actually we should be paid more. Now they have online classes so class sizes are much smaller. Overall, it was good at first, now it's just miserable.