Web.com Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Web.com Chairman and CEO David L. Brown
David L. Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employees are awarded stock options (in 27 reviews)

• Relatively laid back work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Aside from NO RAISES, the stress levels are off the chart (in 27 reviews)

• Corporate/Upper Management continues to add to workload without compensating for additional work (in 22 reviews)

1. "Up and Coming"

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Web.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Lots of Employee Engagement activities
    Amazing new facility being built for 2019

Cons

Seems difficult at times to be promoted within

Advice to Management

(middle to low levels of management) Treat your employees all the same: quit with favoritism and include everyone even if they don't look or act the same as you

2. "Top sales organization with lack of focus on customer retention"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Web.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to make a lot of money ($50k+ a year)

Cons

Only top sales reps make a lot of money (over $50k per year). Customer retention is poor.

Advice to Management

Work on developing your tenured representatives that may be struggling. Focus more on CUSTOMER RETENTION!

3. "Great company with a bright future"

Former Employee - Director of Engineering in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director of Engineering in New York, NY

I worked at Web.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

+There are lots of career development opportunities for those who pursue them
    +The product portfolio is diverse and movement between products/teams is encouraged
    +The technology stack is interesting and provides a lot of opportunity for learning

Cons

-Diversity of leadership team could improve

Advice to Management

Open an office in California :)

4. "Anyone Can do It"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Austin, TX

I have been working at Web.com (Less than a year)

Pros

Simple, No Labor, Free beer on Fridays and Free daily lunch.. some of the people.. if you can hustle and talk well on the phone and not take no for an answer and go over the top to get a yes which can pay well it may be worth it.. but turn over is extremely high and this job is definitely not for everyone.. if you need money right away this is not the place to work..

Cons

base wage is $9
    Management is not very great.. the product was easier to sell especially in 2012.. but its 2017.. you are contact leads that have been talked to for less than 60 days and literally bombarding prospects..

"Keep Looking"

Pros

While few and far between, there are some talented people with whom you may work.

Cons

They are cheap - salaries, no cost of living increases and spend for quality product production. They used to have a quality website product - but no more.

"EH. Not the best.."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Web.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people. Potlucks/snacks/happy hours occasionally. Acknowledge holidays for fun in the office. Decent PTO & Holidays (in AZ at least) compared to others. Dental insurance is actually really great too. HR is great and genuinely caring.

Cons

I cannot for the life of me comprehend why not all positions are given the ability to work from home when ALL the work is through a computer and this is an INTERNET company. Work from home is only permitted by favoritism or by allowing you to feel so guilty about it that you don't really want to anyway.

Don't get laptops... weird, feel like you're stuck at your desk.

Management is terrible. And basically, you have to suck up so much to it in order to get promoted. Micromanaging your team to the point of insanity does not make for a good manager.

Advice to Management

Do not promote people to managers that have no idea how to manage.

Nov 3, 2017 – Manager of Social Media

Thanks for your feedback regarding our WFH policies, as well as the management teams - we'll definitely take it under advisement. If you have any additional feedback or details you'd like to provide... More

"Deteriorating Since Yodle Acquisition"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Web.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to start after college. Salary is enough to gain experience for 6-12 months while you are seeking job at another company that pays more for the same role. Opportunities for advancement are good right now because so many good Yodle and Web people have left the company since the merger.

Cons

Problems in several areas. Yodle was acquired just prior going bankrupt. Their platform and algorithm was to benefit sales teams. The algorithm "thinks" for the account managers. The AM's in the Yodle sales offices are reduced to robots servicing accounts. Human Resource associates used to be helpful and responsive, but HR Leadership has focused the attention on a new payroll system, which was put in place 6 months ago, and still not working properly. The new executive team is in disarray and showing poor leadership. Also, the same Yodle people that helped bring them to near bankruptcy are now in high ranking positions at Web. At our most recent Q3 earnings report for 2017, the number of subscribers declined sharply. This is the second quarter in a row that has happened.

Advice to Management

We think David Brown is being shielded from the real problems that we experience at the customer-facing levels.

"Revolving Door Policy"

I worked at Web.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are well-intentioned and genuinely nice to work with. Vacation time and benefits are not bad. Employees are awarded stock options.

Cons

No annual raises. In fact, changes in bonus 'payout' metrics result in pay-cuts year after year. Corporate/Upper Management continues to add to workload without compensating for additional work. MICROMANAGEMENT GALORE. If you say one bad word about the company online, or in-person to a coworker you are pulled into an office and reprimanded; told to keep your negative thoughts to yourself or only speak to management about it. In most cases, your negative feelings are not addressed at all and you are subtly treated differently... not in a good way.
    Phone personnel have no breathing time between phone calls (I’m talking, seconds) and are often thrown into alternate phone queues without notice and without proper training or compensation. As a result, employees are often too rushed to provide real assistance or properly notate the conversation for the next time the customer calls in. Because let’s face it, they will have to call a number of times to resolve their issue. It seems that upper management doesn't care about customers and simply wants the phone queues cleared. Rather than do the right thing by their employees and customers, they cut-corners to make their spread sheets sparkle.
    I spent 4 years with this company. I excelled in many areas and made my career goals very clear to management but because I wasn't in the 'click' my skills were never capitalized on. I was never promoted to a position where I belonged, where my unique skills could benefit the company and I eventually fell through the cracks as just another # on a spread sheet, just another robot to repeat poorly written scripting.
    Due to the company’s corner-cutting policies, there is a large turn-around. Veterans with the company, have to move to new departments in order to make more money than they did the year before as there is no incentive to stay put, no matter how well you know the product you support. Thus, customers are constantly speaking to new-hires who may not be as privy to the issue or its resolution.
    SOME management are true leaders and quite possibly the only light that holds the highly-unstable employee morale from completely collapsing into darkness.
    Regardless, this not a company to grow a career with but a good short-term stint if you need something between real jobs. A good 'stepping stone', if you will.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting your friends. Stop stepping on your team members to please corporate personnel.
    Stand up for what’s right and be the change this company desperately needs.

Nov 3, 2017 – Manager of Social Media

We're sorry to hear that you felt like you weren't able to achieve your career goals during your time at Web.com. We appreciate your feedback and encourage you to reach out to recruiting@web.com with... More

9. "Great People"

I have been working at Web.com full-time

Pros

Interesting work in a successful and growing company. Good work/ life balance

Cons

Company still integrating from past acquisitions which can make internal processes and alignment challenging.

Thanks for the feedback!

"Awkward Acquisition of Yodle"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Web.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Commission structure is straightforward, and fairly generous to those who can produce for the company.

* Talent gets noticed quickly. Make them some money, and they will gladly put you in a position to make them some more money.

* Leads are provided for you. They're... adequate, most of the time.

* Just about everything but your bathroom break is scripted, so you can be a complete knucklehead and you might still get a sale now and then.

* Free lunch at the cafeteria as a safety net for those who don't know how to produce.

* Mid-level managers drop out with enough frequency that you have a certain degree of upward mobility.

Cons

* Base pay is a joke but no one's laughing, and there will be no raises this Christmas. If you're good at what you do, you'll still feel expendable. If you're bad at what you do, you'll feel depressed every time you see a picture of a steak.

* The product underachieves like it's nobody's business. You will make residuals, but they will cap out quickly because so few of your clients actually stay.

* The free lunch I mentioned tastes awful more often than not. I think I ate out every day for the last 6 months I was there.

* As more and more of the Yodle vets disappear and Web continues to impose its will, the culture has gotten progressively more dour and depressing over the last year. There's a lot of hype and noise but hardly anyone is really feeling it anymore.

* Frequent experimentation with how things work... makes for frequent missteps and "fixing" of things which weren't broken. Chaos ensues.

Advice to Management

* Invest more in the tech side of things... People would have an easy time selling if your product worked well. Customer service wouldn't have to try so hard if your product worked well. That stinker you bought from Yodle is not aging gracefully.

* Provide solid base pay for your sales reps. I left you because I'm doing the same job somewhere else, with just about the same commission structure, for an automatic extra $10k/yr. If you want to keep good people, treat them like they're good.

Nov 14, 2017 – Manager of Social Media

Hello,

• At Web.com we are proud of the total compensation earnings available to our employees. All of our sales representatives have the ability to earn compensation based on their performance... More