WebMD Health Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
WebMD Health CEO Steven Zatz
Steven Zatz

Pros
Cons
  • Hazadous workload, no work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Not very progressive and poor senior management seems to pervade (in 20 reviews)

"Free Fruit"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people and lots of free fruit. Whats not to love about this place??

Cons

Like any job there are some cons.

"Worst place I ever worked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice co-workers. Bright offices. Free fruit.

Cons

I have never worked in such a dysfunctional place. I hated it so much I left without even having another job. My boss and my team were nice. But the rest of the place was horrid. I watched people who were supposed to work together throw each other under the bus. I was screamed at for the most menial, ridiculous things -- that had never happened to me in my decades-long, successful career. I can't even tell you how I still have flashbacks of my days there. I feel sorry for the people who still work there. The technologies and the product were terribly outdated. I read negative reviews here when I was a candidate and thought they were just disgruntled employees. But then I found out first-hand, it really is as bad as the negative reviews state. Don't waste your time.

"Avoid This Bad Mashup of Constipated + Petty Mgmt"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great swag, free coffee, smart people (and opptys to work from home sometimes).

Cons

This is the headquarters of CYA thinking and behavior; favoritism is ripe, rampant and overt. The near-constant departures of some of the best minds is demoralizing.

Every project is a crisis, so the quality of work is often poor -- but no one seems to care as long as it's off their desk and on someone else's.

The burnout rate is incredible. Oh, and forget a career path (unless you're a favorite, that is).

Supposedly client and consumer focused but fear and arrogance have kept it firmly behind the market.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the favoritism; improve the quality of your products; use some of that $1 billion in the bank to hire more people.

"RUN from Health Services in Portland, OR"

Former Employee - Client Delivery in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Client Delivery in Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I could write what it USED to be, but it has changed. There is nothing positive to say about this business anymore.

Cons

Where to begin:

- No new product for three years.
    - Incredible sales micromanaging (time tracking), leading to almost all of the sales force walking.
    - Anyone who used to care has completely given up and is going through the motions.
    -Terrible health insurance.
    - So far behind the competition due to complete lack of strategic vision, I don't know why anyone would license the product.
    - Every time someone new comes in, they think they can fix the problems (including me), but you can't.
    - The real people who run the company are in New York and have no idea what the business is nor do they care. They try to run it like the public site whose revenue is associated with advertising.

Please, please DO NOT WORK HERE. It will beat any glimmer of hope or enjoyment you have in working out of you.

Advice to Management

I went through so many executive changes, I don't think anyone will fix this. My advise is to close the doors or sell to someone who can actually understands the business.

"Going sideways"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Portland, OR

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful offices in a good location. There are some really great people to work with (although more and more are leaving every day). Some really great clients who are great to work with, too. The execs around the CEO are bright and hard-working.

Cons

Outlook with the very new "big" CEO in NYC is TBD. Fingers crossed. But the CEO in Health Services (Portland) has been around for a little over a year and has impressed everyone with his ability to create a culture of blame and scapegoating...while still remaining surprisingly absent from the actual business and ignorant of the process of creating software products. Good management would offer energy and a strong sense of direction, providing motivation and enthusiasm. By contrast, this CEO offers aggression without direction and frustration without solutions.

Advice to Management

It will be a hassle, but it's already time to find a new CEO for the Health Services business in Portland.There's real potential in this line of business but we are currently set up for failure. The brain-drain is accelerating...immediate action is called for.

"no"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

Free fruit. Standing treadmills that nobody uses.

Cons

Beware! This company has yearly layoffs! toxic environment, management that has never managed and doesn't know how to manage. Nobody wants to help, nobody will even say good morning. Stay away! Funny how all the negative, true statements are gone, and HR has replaced them with good reviews. And they have admitted it! So glad I am outta here!

"Not what it use to be"

Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good working relationships with coworkers.

Cons

Three CEO's in less than three years in the Portland office. The previous two were released. Current one is worst of the bunch. High turnover of some of our best and most competent technology staff. Continue decline in business, overall poor leadership and lack of communication at the top of the organization are reasons for low morale, low performance, declining productivity, and a revolving door of good employees leaving. There are much better places to work in the Portland market rather than settle for "just a job" with WebMD.

Advice to Management

I do not have any advice because recent history has shown that leadership doesn't listen and send the message that if you don't like it here - leave.

"WebMD ... good times back then"

Former Employee - Director in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Director in Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health (Less than a year)

Pros

When I worked there, I worked with some of the best minds. Great at finding new college graduates with talent. Good collaborative atmosphere.

Cons

Unfortunately the company became more and more corporate over time. Harder to make positive change. Now running things like an IT shop with a PMO office.

Advice to Management

Get back to roots. Think about how you could encourage entrepreneurship by giving well performing more freedom. Don't listen to consultants over your own people.

"Thinking of working at WebMD? Run for the hills..."

Former Employee - Senior Director, Product Management in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Director, Product Management in Portland, OR

Pros

I had to think (really hard) for more than 30 seconds, therefore...I say "none" to you.

Cons

It's pointless for me to even bother listing specifics, almost anything I care to mention has already been covered in the hundreds of prior reviews. Note that the company seems to want to sell off certain parts of the company, specifically the Portland business unit which is why they canned the former COO and hired a new "Health Services" CEO. He's most likely got a compensation structure if he can drive revenue to let's say $200 million and get some healthplan interested in a buyout. Frankly, he's an unqualified medical devices salesman and his right-hand man including all of the VP level leaders in the organization are just a bunch of talking heads who cow-tow to the queen of finance and king of legal in the NYC office, who incidentally are the real people calling the shots.

Advice to Management

If WebMD has any chance of surviving the Board should really go in and replace every single VP and higher position, including some Director and Manager level folks. The consulting firms you're hiring for the Portland office are a joke and have practically stolen the company from you. They're laughing all the way to the bank, as are those of us who were smart enough to cash in our options while the stock was high earlier this year and then promptly leave.

"Catastrophically Disappointing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

Company used to be filled with smart people who worked hard and loved what they do. The WebMD name still means something, although it's not as powerful as it used to be.

Cons

Leadership. Product. Toxic Environment. Client Loss. Micromanagement. There has been no significant product enhancement in over three years. There is a new CEO who has managed to produce nothing in the year he's been with the company. His major product seems to be constant abuse for the people who have been trying to keep the company afloat. The leadership team are clueless and toxic, placing blame for the company's failures on their employees. They have earned themselves many unflattering nicknames. This used to be an exciting and challenging place to work. No more. Now people spend their days desperately trying to make up for the failures of their leadership and make the non-existent product development efforts seem like something. Clients are leaving. They smell blood in the water.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at what is happening. Stop blaming employees for the company's failure. Possibly go to business school to learn all of the fatal mistakes you are making. Stop bragging about your Maserati.