WebMD Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
WebMD Health CEO Steven Zatz
Steven Zatz

Pros
Cons
  • Hazadous workload, no work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Not very progressive and poor senior management seems to pervade (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing Brand"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing like working at the biggest and best brand among health sites. Credibility with its users and advertisers is something to be truly proud of....content is in fact truly king for this brand.

Cons

Doctors and Finance run this site. Sales and Marketing to the ad community comes in third. Slow at times to react to market forces. Classic big company, nimble is not a word often associated with sales.

Advice to Management

Listen to the market. Get entrepreneurial in your approach with advertisers. Get innovative. You do so much right in building a brand for users, do the same for advertisers.

"Executive Assistant - One (1) of the best Companies I have worked for."

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

WebMD/Medscape gave me great opportunities. I worked with very talented, professional and fun people. I was allowed able to "shine" and work with using best skills for the company. The position and job duties were varied so I always felt challenged. I was given 100% support from my Senior and C Level executives. Excellent salary, benefits and time off. Executives were extremely intelligent and respectful. They gave quiet yet authoriative direction so the job got done. I advanced over the years to working across numerous divisions and departments of the company, so that was very awarding.

Cons

This was a great place to work, so I have no Cons for the job I held. The only Con is the same one that many businesses face, and that is the need to properly manage the fiscal side of business, which unfortunately results in the need to re-organize and cut "headcount" in order to save money.

Advice to Management

None

"Not a tech company but a decent place to work"

Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Great work life balance, nice people, awesome office. Overall a good place to work. You can be the best by coming in on time, doing your work and being somewhat competent.

Cons

Not a real tech company. WebMD is the bad news bears of technology. A lot of people here just plain BAD at their job. Some of the code makes my eyes bleed.

"Strategic Seller"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at WebMD for 6 years and grew extensively as a seller. The company hires some of the smartest sales people I've worked with and I learned a lot. As a leader in the health space, it's not horribly difficult to initiative a meeting with agencies or marketers. They partner with high level organizations to move the needle and make a difference in the world.

Cons

The sales "process" is quite lengthy due to long turn arounds internally - has to go through marketing, pricing, contract/legal review etc. This can cause some unhappy clients. Super important to build good relationships with clients in order to set realistic expectations. Pricing is quite high as well.

Advice to Management

Need consistency, focus on positive culture and healthy criticism.

6. "Copy Editor"

Current Contractor - Copy Editor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Contractor - Copy Editor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at WebMD Health as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Cordial to friendly work atmosphere. Managers are knowledgeable about process and content, and the team working on my particular project is extremely professional. The business itself seems to be stable and prosperous.

Cons

As a contract worker, it's difficult to rate the environment. My work is rather specialized, so I don't have a "big picture" view of the organization.

"Free Fruit"

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people and lots of free fruit. Whats not to love about this place??

Cons

Like any job there are some cons.

8. "Great place to work"

Former Contractor - Project Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Project Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

-Very smart, talented, and friendly colleagues. They are good at what they are doing and very hard-working and passionate with the work they do.
    -Lots of free food. Bagels on Friday mornings and Pizza on Wednesdays for lunch, with different types of cuisines on certain other Wednesdays. Also they have water bottles which are a big plus
    - excellent location, with the 50th St C/E station right downstairs, and close proximity to Penn Station/Port Authority
    - management was open and accessible, they were very helpful along the way

Cons

- no opportunities for growth and advancement
    - work was not challenging and often times very mundane
    - it was only a contract position. Had it been full-time, my review probably would have been different

Advice to Management

I was only a temp so don't really have much advice to give. Just keep on improving. The company is growing at a rapid pace.

"Senior Medical Writer"

Former Employee - Senior Medical Writer, Professional Promotions in New York, NY

Pros

Great hours, family-friendly. Working from home is normal. Late nights are extremely rare. There are a lot of smart people. Good health benefits, 401-K matching, and vacation. I worked in professional promotions, in the Worldwide Plaza offices, which is fire-walled from both CME and the Medscape/content creation side. This is a 3rd party advertorial shop. The technology and in particular digital subscriber list is what the company is selling-- not content.

Cons

For creatives, particularly if you are coming from an agency as a copy or medical affairs person, the hours are great, but there is little to no opportunity to actually make an impact on the brands you're working with. For a writer or designer, this can be frustrating. There is a LOT of cutting and pasting of agency-created content into templates. The real creative work at a company like this is in product development, which takes place elsewhere. Also, the stock price is at the heart of everything. Management has been known to "purge" more senior, higher paid folks, and then bring in recent college grads after 6-months or so. However, if you're good with your boss, you will be spared, generally. Don't expect big raises. Just plug away and don't make too many enemies. There is not much urgency to the work. Not a great place to gain digital experience, surprisingly, since so much of what you learn is applicable only to WebMD, not elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Think long-term. Don't get greedy and ruin the Medscape brand by signing clients like Coca-Cola and University of Phoenix, etc.

"Overview"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Taylorsville, UT
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Taylorsville, UT

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There was great leadership in the WHS division. Excellent communications and collaborative team.

Cons

Initially there was high turnover and a lack of understanding of the WHS division from the corporate HQ.

Advice to Management

Listen and find and keep a team in place that will effect great results.

"Healthy Environment"

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WebMD does a great job of promoting healthy living inside and outside of the company. It is nice working for a company that is changing lives

Cons

Product management has struggled to push out new and exciting tools as of late.