WebMD Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
WebMD Health CEO Steven Zatz
Steven Zatz

Pros
Cons
  • Hazadous workload, no work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• senior management unable to properly manage the workload or staffing needs of account managers (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing Brand"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing like working at the biggest and best brand among health sites. Credibility with its users and advertisers is something to be truly proud of....content is in fact truly king for this brand.

Cons

Doctors and Finance run this site. Sales and Marketing to the ad community comes in third. Slow at times to react to market forces. Classic big company, nimble is not a word often associated with sales.

Advice to Management

Listen to the market. Get entrepreneurial in your approach with advertisers. Get innovative. You do so much right in building a brand for users, do the same for advertisers.

2. "Run away....FAST"

Pros

Free fruit, water, 401K benefits. That's about it. ....... .......

Cons

All of the negative reviews are very true. This is toxic work place. You will never move up in the company. Please avoid this place.

Advice to Management

Quit your day job!

"I would steer clear of Professional Promotion at Medscape"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice perks like free lunches, business always growing

Cons

Not an innovative, creative culture where I worked; very bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

Provide leadership and opportunities for employees while listening to their feedback.

"Executive Assistant - One (1) of the best Companies I have worked for."

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

WebMD/Medscape gave me great opportunities. I worked with very talented, professional and fun people. I was allowed able to "shine" and work with using best skills for the company. The position and job duties were varied so I always felt challenged. I was given 100% support from my Senior and C Level executives. Excellent salary, benefits and time off. Executives were extremely intelligent and respectful. They gave quiet yet authoriative direction so the job got done. I advanced over the years to working across numerous divisions and departments of the company, so that was very awarding.

Cons

This was a great place to work, so I have no Cons for the job I held. The only Con is the same one that many businesses face, and that is the need to properly manage the fiscal side of business, which unfortunately results in the need to re-organize and cut "headcount" in order to save money.

Advice to Management

None

"A Mixed Bag"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office location is great, conveniently located in the heart of midtown Atlanta with highly subsidized parking and access to MARTA. Office is very nice with lots of free coffee, fresh fruit, subsidized beverages/snacks and plenty of perks and activities. The people are very friendly, but you may have to work at it a bit as many are also quite introverted or mainly socialize within their own departments or established groups. Depending on department and position, work-life balance is just fine. Many people who get burned out can only blame themselves for being perfectionists, trying to be all things to all people and involve themselves in every project and control more than they need to. More of that in "Cons". :) The pay and benefits are fine. Matching 401k, good health benefits, 13 vacation days to start, some flexibility in schedules is allowed. I can't think of much lacking in this area. Tactical collaboration is quite common but it depends on the departments. Some are a joy to work with. Some are a nightmare. The overall culture is positive.

Cons

When I first started here, I thought this was a place where people could make a difference. It is not. The CEO and CFO of the company make almost every decision - even many very basic tactical ones. The company makes money off pharma ad impressions. It is completely financial and ad/page view driven. Customers are never mentioned (unless they are referring to the pharma ad clients). That sets the tone for the business. Product and Editorial are ruled like fiefdoms. Decisions are made in a vacuum even though project teams are typically made up of 30 people - because maybe one person will freak out if they don't know what is going on and maybe one other person might have one piece of information that will be helpful. The technology that drives the website is ridiculous. The time and personnel required to just do basic web production and "innovation" is staggering - several times that of other companies in tech, web media - and still we can't do what many other companies can online. High levels of technical debt. Communications and processes are poor. It is rare to find people who understand more than their own department. It definitely skews female and is a very politically liberal (i.e. Democrat) place to work. I am not saying this is a con, but if you are uncomfortable with hugs,crying, talk about feminism, female body parts, or want to discuss Republican ideology, you might want to look elsewhere. The company is putting itself up for sale, so the only projects are pure page view, ad view-ability, and financial plays. While the culture is positive, this varies widely. The life seems to have been sucked out of this place. People are so hyper-focused on excruciating minutiae and details that won't make a bit of difference, so they drive themselves crazy by obsessing over the few things they can control. Some people have way too much work to do. Some people have way too little. The VPs in Atlanta are not leaders. They are docile people-pleasers who just report up the chain.

Advice to Management

Stop making all your departments do a six-month dog and pony show and then turn down everything in their proposals and budgets. Split the company. Take Medscape public. Allow WebMD to be innovative and fun. For the VPs in Atlanta - have some guts. Directors and Senior Managers - take a step back, get your head out of your own work for a minute and try to understand what your direct reports do and what they need. Provide collaboration opportunities, learning/teaching opportunities, and help facilitate their success - not just yours!

7. "Product Marketing Manager"

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Great people. Interesting industry to work in. Learned a TON.

Cons

Long hours. Disorganization, lots of management changes and priority changes that affect what we work on (things can change quickly).

8. "cogs"

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

smart people, excellent learning opportunities

Cons

Hazadous workload, no work-life balance

"Great people, but terribly inefficient"

Pros

Awesome location
    Great people
    Get to work with content that really helps people

Cons

"No" is never an answer, quantity of work is valued over quality, communication is often lacking, processes non-existent or inefficient at best

Advice to Management

Maybe some training on how to manage before people are promoted to managers would help.

10. "Biggest mistake ever"

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Friendly, at first, don't expect training

Cons

HR inept; expect unfair treatment if someone simply doesn't like you. You won't be judged by your work

Advice to Management

Look at turnaround rates. If it's high, the problem is likely you.

"Great People - Not Supported by Senior Management, Stressed Out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some amazingly skilled, talented and passionate people in this company. The team is the reason to show up everyday. You can learn a lot, and get real mentoring and experience there.

Cons

Senior Mgmt does not set out a real long-term vision for the company, leaving the departments responsible for their own visions - which often have competing ends and ROI. Conflicting priorities are often approved and pushed forward and even if it makes a department's job harder, they are still expected to meet their goals.

Advice to Management

Shareholder value should be a KPI not the only goal. Shape and hold the long term goals for the company, not the shareholders.