WebMD Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 5, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Hazadous workload, no work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Not very progressive and poor senior management seems to pervade (in 20 reviews)

"Its a mixed bag - your mileage will vary."

Former Employee - Technology in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technology in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I gave WebMD four stars despite having some real stress at that company.

** My colleagues / friends there were great. Really the most enjoyable people to work with. Probably the best place I've ever worked with regards to the friends I made while there.

But I am certain about the following bullet points..
    ** If you're just OK at your job, you'll do well in the company
    ** If you're pretty damn good at your job, you'll be the sharpest tool in the shed
    ** Depending on your office / department, my understanding is the culture really varies

The reason I give the company four stars instead of fewer is because if you really want an easy-going job, with generally nice people, and don't stress the severe career ambitions too much, this isn't a bad place to hang out for a couple years.

Cons

** Salaries are on the lower end of market average.
    ** Management (generally speaking) really are just not that good at their jobs.
    ** The place still seems "wild west" when it comes to efficient business processes
    ** Outside of your colleagues, most people seemed to report dissatisfaction with the company / biz processes / management. Again, colleagues were amazing, kind people.
    ** Some people at the company, honestly, I don't know how they passed the interview. Definitely kind hearted, but inept at their exact position. I might be a case in point. I got the job for a position I wasn't qualified for per-se.

Advice to Management

No one in management cares for my feedback, but here it is anyway...

Work out the inter-department interactions and business processes. This is key to efficiency. Put some really smart, consulting-minded folks in management. Make sure they are charismatic and have a knack for business process optimization. There were a couple who definitely fit this mold, but most did not. It seemed like generally anyone of any qualification (generally based on seniority) made it to management, and that resulted in a lot of mismanagement of personnel and inefficient cross-department interactions.

2. "great place to work and grow"

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

excellent leadership, encouraging work environment, amazing content and product

Cons

busy season can get hectic

"Bad management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've met really great people working here. The company parties are fun. That's about it.

Cons

I worked at Webmd for many years. I've witnessed more disgusting office politics and bullying then I've ever experienced. There's the normal, "get in good with the right person and your career there will fly" then there's the additional "two faced, liers and cheaters willing to do anything to get ahead and as little work as possible that actually helps the department as a whole" but the worst is when a weak management team blindly praises and promotes them. Perception does seem to be everything there, not hard work, not the truth but the best story. I've watched 4 CEOs (this is public record, see for yourself), 3 HR teams and 4 directors and 3 VP's of the department I worked in go by. With each team the politics got worse and worse, the liers and cheaters became more emboldened, no one bothered to look into what was really going on.
    If office politics is one of your strengths, this is the place for you. My suggestion would be to do as little work as possible saving your time for campaigning and chatting up your superiors about your coworkers, that is what they seem to respond and you will see many promotions.

Advice to Management

I've already given management my advice while I was there, they didn't like it because it was regarding their pet employees that could do no wrong.

"Great company to work for"

Former Employee - ETL Tester in New York, NY
    Former Employee - ETL Tester in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health (More than a year)

Pros

WebMD is a good company to work with. But with its business growing, they have to focus on growth of employees as well. WebMD has a strong leadership focused towards growth of organization. Company has an excellent reputation for initiating visas and green card for its employees.

Cons

Does not offer great benefit. Not many amenites at he location.

Advice to Management

Need to be little more approachable

"Brutal Environment"

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Free Coffee/Barista
    - Nice Office
    - Great Brand

Cons

- Warm welcome followed by growing workload and pressure
    - Most stressful and political place ever worked
    - Long days, late night work, followed by monthly budget and resource reduction.
    - Take notice of the abysmal rating on Glassdoor. It's for a reason. To promote transparency and protect people.

Advice to Management

Complete the company sell and start a new. The current model doesn't work.

6. "work life"

Former Employee - Test Lead in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Test Lead in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good work life balance
    Leverage with marketing expertise

Cons

lack of innovation
    need to add new services or products

Advice to Management

need to add more creative people

"Good team, terrible upper management"

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

The team I worked with was particularly excellent. Compensation was good for the work for the most part. Work-life balance was reasonable for most of the time with the company.

Cons

Upper management seems to lack direction and knowledge of our fundamental marketplace value. Getting jerked around regarding bonuses and salary promises that never come through is not fun. There's a lot of pat-yourself-on-the-back thinking. Workload and stress is continuously increasing. There is a lack of training or education support for developing skills.

Advice to Management

Hire well and keep your good employees. I left, as many other good employees did, due to the feeling that the company was headed in a bad direction.

"Great People"

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest and most dedicated people work here, it has been a great experience.

Cons

Management is not so stellar

Advice to Management

Management needs to rethink their priorities in order to keep the good people that they have.

"Editor"

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health (More than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, lots of support from peers. No overtime, nice office setting. Decent benefits, good NYC location.

Cons

Repetitive work, which included work I was not particularly qualified for, more graphic design work than editing. Sometimes deadlines were stressing.

10. "Great company. Innovation needed"

Pros

WebMD has a lot of great people with a lot of knowledge. Working to help people in the health related field is very satisfying.

Cons

Innovation is very much needed. To drive a company to the next level, innovation is key. They are seeing that and are making changes.