WebMD Health Reviews | Glassdoor

WebMD Health Reviews

Updated July 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance was reasonable for most of the time with the company (in 36 reviews)

• Can work from home on occasions (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Hazadous workload, no work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Not very progressive and poor senior management seems to pervade (in 20 reviews)

"Run......FAST"

Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k benefits
    Free fruit
    Free water
    WFH  once a week

Cons

Every negative review is accurate.  This company does not invest in their employees. The position you interviewed for is the position you'll keep during your time of employment.  This is the most toxic workplace I've ever encountered so be prepared to CYA.  The best advice I can give you is look else where and save yourself the headache.

Advice to Management

Please quit your day job!

"WebMD is a good company to work for."

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Extremely professional environment, they also take care of you with great benefits. Can work from home on occasions.

Cons

Fast paced most of the time. Sometimes a bit chaotic when it comes to work processes, but nothing that cant be fixed.

"Director."

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Great pay as a salesperson

Cons

Senior management changed their strategic direction too frequently

"Worst place I ever worked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice co-workers. Bright offices. Free fruit.

Cons

I have never worked in such a dysfunctional place. I hated it so much I left without even having another job. My boss and my team were nice. But the rest of the place was horrid. I watched people who were supposed to work together throw each other under the bus. I was screamed at for the most menial, ridiculous things -- that had never happened to me in my decades-long, successful career. I can't even tell you how I still have flashbacks of my days there. I feel sorry for the people who still work there. The technologies and the product were terribly outdated. I read negative reviews here when I was a candidate and thought they were just disgruntled employees. But then I found out first-hand, it really is as bad as the negative reviews state. Don't waste your time.

5. "WebMD"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility and freedom to do the job as you see fit is really nice.
    Ease of travel to accommodate last minute client meetings is important in maintaining good customer relationships.
    Open culture of collaboration is nice.
    Complimentary tea, coffee, bottled water fresh fruit and light snacks as well as in house exercise room is big in terms of consuming healthy items and staying fit. "Don't want to stay at home when you can get on treadmill and work while still working."

Cons

Training should be more vigorous, particularly for those people learning the new nomenclature of the company.
    Additionally, better support in locating the right info in a timely manner could help.
    Technology for clients needs updating.

"Executive Assistant - One (1) of the best Companies I have worked for."

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

WebMD/Medscape gave me great opportunities. I worked with very talented, professional and fun people. I was allowed able to "shine" and work with using best skills for the company. The position and job duties were varied so I always felt challenged. I was given 100% support from my Senior and C Level executives. Excellent salary, benefits and time off. Executives were extremely intelligent and respectful. They gave quiet yet authoriative direction so the job got done. I advanced over the years to working across numerous divisions and departments of the company, so that was very awarding.

Cons

This was a great place to work, so I have no Cons for the job I held. The only Con is the same one that many businesses face, and that is the need to properly manage the fiscal side of business, which unfortunately results in the need to re-organize and cut "headcount" in order to save money.

Advice to Management

None

"A Mixed Bag"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office location is great, conveniently located in the heart of midtown Atlanta with highly subsidized parking and access to MARTA. Office is very nice with lots of free coffee, fresh fruit, subsidized beverages/snacks and plenty of perks and activities. The people are very friendly, but you may have to work at it a bit as many are also quite introverted or mainly socialize within their own departments or established groups. Depending on department and position, work-life balance is just fine. Many people who get burned out can only blame themselves for being perfectionists, trying to be all things to all people and involve themselves in every project and control more than they need to. More of that in "Cons". :) The pay and benefits are fine. Matching 401k, good health benefits, 13 vacation days to start, some flexibility in schedules is allowed. I can't think of much lacking in this area. Tactical collaboration is quite common but it depends on the departments. Some are a joy to work with. Some are a nightmare. The overall culture is positive.

Cons

When I first started here, I thought this was a place where people could make a difference. It is not. The CEO and CFO of the company make almost every decision - even many very basic tactical ones. The company makes money off pharma ad impressions. It is completely financial and ad/page view driven. Customers are never mentioned (unless they are referring to the pharma ad clients). That sets the tone for the business. Product and Editorial are ruled like fiefdoms. Decisions are made in a vacuum even though project teams are typically made up of 30 people - because maybe one person will freak out if they don't know what is going on and maybe one other person might have one piece of information that will be helpful. The technology that drives the website is ridiculous. The time and personnel required to just do basic web production and "innovation" is staggering - several times that of other companies in tech, web media - and still we can't do what many other companies can online. High levels of technical debt. Communications and processes are poor. It is rare to find people who understand more than their own department. It definitely skews female and is a very politically liberal (i.e. Democrat) place to work. I am not saying this is a con, but if you are uncomfortable with hugs,crying, talk about feminism, female body parts, or want to discuss Republican ideology, you might want to look elsewhere. The company is putting itself up for sale, so the only projects are pure page view, ad view-ability, and financial plays. While the culture is positive, this varies widely. The life seems to have been sucked out of this place. People are so hyper-focused on excruciating minutiae and details that won't make a bit of difference, so they drive themselves crazy by obsessing over the few things they can control. Some people have way too much work to do. Some people have way too little. The VPs in Atlanta are not leaders. They are docile people-pleasers who just report up the chain.

Advice to Management

Stop making all your departments do a six-month dog and pony show and then turn down everything in their proposals and budgets. Split the company. Take Medscape public. Allow WebMD to be innovative and fun. For the VPs in Atlanta - have some guts. Directors and Senior Managers - take a step back, get your head out of your own work for a minute and try to understand what your direct reports do and what they need. Provide collaboration opportunities, learning/teaching opportunities, and help facilitate their success - not just yours!

"Product Marketing Manager"

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Great people. Interesting industry to work in. Learned a TON.

Cons

Long hours. Disorganization, lots of management changes and priority changes that affect what we work on (things can change quickly).

"cogs"

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

smart people, excellent learning opportunities

Cons

Hazadous workload, no work-life balance

"Great people, but terribly inefficient"

Pros

Awesome location
    Great people
    Get to work with content that really helps people

Cons

"No" is never an answer, quantity of work is valued over quality, communication is often lacking, processes non-existent or inefficient at best

Advice to Management

Maybe some training on how to manage before people are promoted to managers would help.