WebMD Health Reviews | Glassdoor

WebMD Health Reviews

Updated October 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexibility, ability to work from home, good work/life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Can work from home on occasions (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Hazadous workload, no work-life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Do as I say & not as I do"- type attitude from upper management (in 22 reviews)

"Web Operations seems to have a lot of in the closet man on man action happening"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home days are pretty good
    Good building location
    Good amount of Yamps (poetic justice)
    Paycheck are okay not great but not horrible

Cons

It's not what you say but who's saying it.
    On webops if your an alcoholic you'll fit in
    Management is all about grooming there friends
    1st level managers are basically place holders.
    No real leadership

Advice to Management

Hire new management

"Reputation company hard at work to mask bad work environment"

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

WebMD has been lucky to get a lot of very talented people through its doors, unfortunately they don't stick around long.

A well respected brand which on the downside that's the only thing they rely on to drive the company.

The compensation packages are average, not greatest but not the worst. They do offer decent vacation time, holidays and sick days. Lot of people don't get to take them all because they have to work so much but they did allow some roll over.

transportation assistance like parking and train.

Cons

Reviews here are indicative that WebMD hired a reputation company to hide the actual conditions at the company. I have yet to meet an employee that is acutally thrilled about the company's operation, leadership, and direction.

Leadership that works there is antiquated, out of touch and has no real knowledge of what the industries are doing. They could give a pancake about how employees feel, how they are being treated because they are burning them out. HR is just there to pretend and to weed out those that may complain so they can go back to management and work on a plot to get rid of anyone expressing any type of dissatisfaction. I just don't see any growth with this company, they lack vision, experience and any type of ability to motivate their work force because transparency is non-existent, employees distrust all of the leadership. It is basically just a place to clock in and out until something better comes along.

It is a shame as the company has so much potential but it should be a poster child of what not to do and how to kill any type of excitement for your job.

Advice to Management

You are out of touch, you have not yet been able to inspire your work force because employees have no trust and how allow management that are just experts in rolling up well to you. I speculate that what is being presented to executive leadership and what is really happening in the trenches are two different things. Until you value your work force, appreciate the gazillion of hours they put in since you won't hire anyone and expect people to do jobs for 2 and 3 so you can save money, invest in them, provide them with a work place that they can be proud to go to instead you give them the opposite. I don't see your business model surviving for long, you will drive your top performers out and keep mediocre people that just will maintain but not win for you.

"Soul-crushing"

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Work from home days for some employees; health insurance and 401K are OK; free bottles of water, 2 half day summer fridays

Cons

no career growth; too many senior-level managers who need to justify their positions by micromanaging; content management system is a dinosaur and excruciatingly clunky to work in; middle and senior management warm conference room seats all day while the very understaffed and burnout cogs in the machine below them do the grunt work, yet are rarely thanked; family leave policy is non-existent; HR are the worst I've very experienced; resistance to hire internally or to mentor lower level employees, always bring in someone new; status quo all the way, and they like that; this place is not for ambitious people; if you are ambitious and make it a point to set and reach self-development goals in the hope that you will be promoted to more meaningful work at WebMD--don't do it as you will be wasting your time

Advice to Management

Quit. There are too many of you walking around whistling.

I think of myself as a bright, professional, hard worker, who is very willing to grow in my work and express new ideas to improve the team/product I'm working on. But WebMD has really killed this part of me. I'm afraid I'm not the only person who reports this. Many of my colleagues feel the same way. This company has crushed my professional abilities, and I'm currently trying to put myself back together so that I can move on for the better. WebMD has done a number on my health.

"Worst Job Experience Ever"

Former Employee - Senior Producer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Producer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for a one of a kind company that has no true competitor. Having the name WebMD on your resume is an eye catcher. Great pay as well.

Cons

None of management has a clue. They will say all the right things in your interview process and then the truth is revealed once you are working there

Advice to Management

All the swag they give out is nice, but use it to truly invest in the people for training opportunities and be honest about what positions are. If a role is to be a strategist, don't sell that and when they come in say you are in sales support. If you are in sales support, don't turn around and say that you are responsible for looking at metrics all day. Make up your minds

"Web Sweat shop | Hands down the worst | they are killing their workers with stress"

Former Employee - Web Content Producer in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Web Content Producer in San Clemente, CA

Pros

Good Brand. That is all. If you are natural born sociopath, more power to you. This environment is for back stabbers and outdated workers who are trying to pay for their big life.

Cons

They treat contractors like slaves. Verbal Abuse and sexism is rampant. This company really needs a big class action lawsuit.

Advice to Management

Really should fire incompetent Senior Blahblahblah people. Because they are outdated fossil fuels. Their only concern is $ in their own pocket. These incompetent Senior Blahblahblah people only set up their employees or anyone (who can do more work then them or better work) for an epic fail.

"So Much Turnover - Think Before You Join"

Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR

Pros

nice office, pretty decent benefits and good people.

Cons

This company will never change. Controlled by the powers in NY the Portland office is constantly held back and also constantly dealing with high-turn over and lack of direction. For a wellness company, the leadership is very uninspiring. The leadership team has completely turned over several times since I have worked at WebMD. It's sad because there is a lot of potential.

Advice to Management

The reputation of this company is so bad that it's going to be hard to keep hiring good talent. You are running through the portland market quickly.

"Poor management, no regard for people's health, only $$"

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Cool work environment, nice building, business casual, and you have the potential to work on something meaningful.

Cons

Management is broken and disconnected from the employees. The company really doesn't care about people's health. All their decisions are driven by sponsors, big pharma, and advertisers. They are also involved in various nefarious practices that I won't go into. Bottom line: my perception of WebMD completely changed after working for them. I use to trust WebMD.

Advice to Management

READ THESE REVIEWS and address each problem directly to your employees.

"Going downhill and not getting better!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

- depending on which department or vertical you're in, you get to work with some talented and nice people
    - decent paid time off
    - free bottled water
    - good office location
    - free bagels on Fridays (but it's from the worst bagel place in NYC)
    - good summer and holiday parties
    - good place to start if you want to get your feet went in the digital space

Cons

- horrible maternity/paternity leave policy
    - not allowed to work from home unless your manager lets you under the radar
    - lack of direction from leadership; they're out of touch with their employees. They don't want to know who you are and don't care about you
    - merit bonus and raises are measly
    - lack of ownership/teamwork from other departments. you need to figure everything out the long and hard way. keep rolling out process than creates tension and friction between departments
    - high turnover on client services side. low morale due to overwhelming amount of work and lack of seasoned account teams. hiring contractors and college graduates with little to no experience does not replace someone with 10+ years of work experience
    - poor work/life balance and senior leadership not willing to staff with experienced candidates because they're cheap. if you do well, expect more work with no support
    - hard to make lateral moves due to "level/number" bureaucracy. Even if you're qualified, may not be able to make the move as your current job "number" is too low
    - employee performance rating feels rigged so that it's almost impossible to get 5 out of 5. Only a few dozen people in entire organization can get this score. If you make the move, you prob won't get the salary or title you deserve

Advice to Management

Listen to your current employees feedback before they get fed up and leave the company. Genuinely try to boost morale before the company is left with only contractors! Hire talented people, not cheap people. Don't make it so difficult to move internally; remove the "level/number" system as this is bureaucratic and makes it hard for talented people to move within departments. Improve the maternity leave policy because it's downright embarrassing right now.

"An unhealthy place to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great brand. Some very sharp and hardworking colleagues.

Cons

There's been a huge talent flight over the past two years. Among the many reasons: an ego-tripping and maniulative HR department that cares only abut protecting the company from employee lawsuits (and there have been a few); senior management that completely disempowers everyone below them; a true lack of vision among leadership; lack of investment in the underlying technology platform; nearly impossible to get promoted. No career growth, intellectually or otherwise.

Advice to Management

Some humility would be a good start.

"it's all downhill from here"

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

I've been here for a long time. Through some good and bad. Every time I started to think about leaving, something encouraged me to stay. And I loved it. I loved the people. Even the eccentric visionary trouble makers loved the company and the people. Not anymore.

Cons

The organizational changes a few years ago jobs continue to be eliminated. People find their "positions are no longer needed" while they have to train someone else on their job. Employees leave and many are not replaced.

Advice to Management

You aren't the only ones with good ideas. Invest in the culture. Cake day doesn't cut it.