Weber Shandwick Reviews | Glassdoor

Weber Shandwick CEO Andy Polansky
Andy Polansky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Inconsistent when it comes to work life balance (in 54 reviews)

• Poor benefits and long hours but that's just PR in general (in 51 reviews)

"A good place to start but don't stay"

Current Employee - AAE in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - AAE in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time

Pros

Interesting assignments for junior staff
    Good way to learn how to do basic PR assignments
    Great place to start your career - good for your resume

Cons

Low pay
    Leadership is very poor - awkward confusing speeches to staff and office leader sits behind closed doors. They need a leader who can inspire the team
    Morale is low

Advice to Management

Value your junior team more than you do today and maybe so many people will stop leaving for other jobs.

"Limited career opportunities for post-entry level"

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time

Pros

They pay you in beer essentially every Friday & try to make it a fun work culture. People are nice. The building is pretty cool. You can learn a lot.

Cons

This is for anyone who is not in a senior or VP-type role (aka people 23-30): The reality is you're paid the "competitive" absolute minimum that is impossible to survive on in New York City, and promotions are extremely difficult to get. Some go years without seeing a raise. Even then, raise is minuscule.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for promotion and recognition for lower level employees. Otherwise, the agency will continue to be a very eat-up and spit-out environment.

3. "SF Lacks Passion"

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time

Pros

Everyone works hard and is committed to getting the job done

Cons

.... but at an exhausting cost. While we got the job done, it is a lengthy process to get there. Every time. Instead of thoughtfully putting the right team together, everyone is scraping to make ends meet. At the end of the day your client is happy, but there is a huge WHY that leaves you exhausted and miserable.

Advice to Management

Maybe stop making everyone a VP? Politics here are rampant and frustrating. I feel like I am always walking on egg shells. Also, WS just put everyone into groups called "value communities" with assigned paths to move "upward". Unfortunately, most positions only showed lateral movement.

4. "This place changed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits
    sometimes fun atmosphere
    friendly fun hardworking staff
    beautiful offices
    always food around

Cons

low pay
    digital practice is gone - forcing people who want to work on digital to work on core
    loosing clients
    upper management is out of touch with younger staff, leaves them in the dark
    no one trusts HR department
    mysterious layoffs

5. "No personality throughout the office, survive off of email communication and lack of teamwork day in and day out."

Former Intern - Consumer PR in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Consumer PR in Chicago, IL

I worked at Weber Shandwick as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Holidays off, free LaCroix machine and office supplies. Orientation and on-boarding is organized and a lot of big accounts throughout the company.

Cons

Zero personality throughout the office, very stuffy environment and better suited for individuals who don't have a college degree. Pay is extremely low and not worth the 9 hour days, when only paid for 8. Co-workers only look out for themselves and the passive aggressive tone is un-motivational and is shown in the work sent to the clients.

Advice to Management

Don't hire so many interns on such little pay, and teach employees how to smile and say hi.

6. "Not my kind of internship.."

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Weber Shandwick as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Some people were cool and nice, but then some would just look you up and down and not say a word.
    - The perks are cool.

Cons

- You'll have to fend for yourself as an intern here. Definitely not a "mentorship" program.
    - Extremely underpaid for an intern, close to minimum wage and with all the work you have to do it's not worth it.
    - The deadlines are close to impossible especially since you're juggling 3-4 projects at a time.
    - You'll notice people taking advantage you, pouring more work into your hands not caring if you already have a lot to do.
    - You'll end up working weekends, and end up getting get ignored.

End note: I feel like I was deceived in my interview for this internship. They told me I would be working and doing one sort of thing, and I ended up doing things I wasn't expecting. It was miserable client work after another. If PR work is for you, then this internship might be for you, but it wasn't for me.

"Slander"

Former Intern - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Weber Shandwick as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The ability to say that you worked at a big PR agency. Literally that is all.

Cons

You will work your tail off every day to mostly get approval of people who have already decided that they don't like you. And because the firm is so huge, somebody will know someone at your new job, and will slander you so you get to your new workplace with an already formed reputation. If I could give this place zero stars for culture, I would.

Advice to Management

Control your petty, catty employees. It's sad, really. So little work, so much gossip.

"Save yourself time...and go anywhere else so you can actually grow and learn"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Weber Shandwick (Less than a year)

Pros

The name sounds somewhat fancy on the resume, but I wish I could travel back in time to tell myself to pass on Weber's offer (and get back nearly a year of my life).

Cons

Expect to be hired with promises to advance from HR and management, but very little follow-through despite their vows and your commitment to the company and its clients.

You will commit to VERY long hours with no work-to-life balance. You can forget about your personal relationships, weekends or any other activities that are important to you.

On the crisis team, we regularly worked 13-16 hour days. A typical day would begin with early morning media monitoring reports (7am) and would finish with frantic requests from management for "quick research" usually beginning at 6pm (which will sometimes carry into 11pm or later). You'll be offered vague direction (if you're lucky), or will simply be forwarded a string of emails from management who will expect you to figure out what is needed without an actual briefing. This pattern regularly carries over into the weekend, and over the holidays, despite the fact that no actual client crisis exists.

Additionally, expect to witness some unethical behavior from management. Also expect to be uninspired as you continuously recycle and "tweak" old proposals for new clients to avoid "re-inventing the wheel."

Overall, extremely poor management coupled with a bloated, vertically structured culture that's hung up on bureaucracy and hierarchy. Additionally, be prepared to watch management belittle "junior" level employees while joking about how little the junior staff is paid. In fact, junior staffers met with HR for mediation several times find solutions for what was widely described as a toxic, unprofessional working environment. HR did not follow-through with ways to improve, management did not adjust negative behavior, and employees continued to quit or be miserable at work until they left (one employee left each month during my time there).

Since leaving, I have advised every person I've spoken to to avoid this company at all costs. You will be promised a lot, but none of those promises are actually delivered despite the MANY sacrifices you WILL make (and are expected to make) for the company. Absolutely no payoff!

Advice to Management

Value all employees, address low worker morale and follow-through with promises to advance dedicated workers. This may best be accomplished by firing senior management and starting over.

"Billing Coordinator"

I worked at Weber Shandwick (Less than a year)

Pros

There was unlimited cereal and fruit on Friday.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. Poorly treated by management.

"Would never recommend - worst in the industry"

Former Employee - SAE in New York, NY
    Former Employee - SAE in New York, NY

Pros

Free coffee? Only one I can think of.

Cons

People are extremely rude and closed minded. You are expected to work long hours, like 8am-8pm, even if you have nothing to do, as well as holidays. I was told I could not take a lunch. Supervisors micro-manage junior staff to no end. It is frowned upon to ask for help if you don't understand something.

Advice to Management

Read candidate's resumes before hiring them to ensure they are a realistic fit. Be friendly. Understand that people have lives outside of work. Also, zero in on mid-level staff that acts as if they are senior, in-turn berating those below them.