Weber Shandwick Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Weber Shandwick CEO Andy Polansky
Andy Polansky

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be hard to maintain if you are on demanding accounts (in 53 reviews)

• work life balance issues and long hours (in 49 reviews)

"Undervalued, underpaid, miserable work experience."

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL

Pros

A chance to work on a lot of national, big-budget brands, which looks good on your resume. They put a lot of stock into PR for their own agency, trying to make others think it's "the" place to work. It's not.

Cons

9.5 out of 10 people there hate their job. Pay is really poor. You feel more like a number than a valued employee.

"Surprisingly disappointing."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good brands as clients, strong New York, Chicago and Minneapolis offices.

Cons

Senior management doesn't care about the quality of its supporting practice groups. Horrible leadership at its internal multicultural group, The Axis Agency.

Advice to Management

Hire credible executives to manage and expand potential growth markets. Some specialty area executives are paper thin on actual business experience.

"The joke of Silicon Valley"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Decent client roster to add to your resume
    Extra days off during the summer
    Good parking
    Nice location and near the freeway
    Nice co-workers

Cons

Over-worked and under paid - expect to work seven days a week -year round
    Highly political environment
    No value for good work
    Blame game is the norm
    Clients are often very abusive
    Management will throw you under the bus

Advice to Management

tell the NY influence to go home and try learning about Corp Culture in the valley before attempting to make change

"Weber Shandwick; typical agency bureaucracy, border-line inhumane treatment of junior staff"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, overtime compensation for entry level working overtime (12-14 hr days on average). I adored my other junior level colleagues we really banded together while being "hazed." I'm usually a super outgoing, positive, hard working and reliable person, but the demands of this role made me completely overwhelmed, physically ill and exhausted 24/7. I went on to a smaller fashion-based showroom and its a 100% more positive.

Cons

My group and client and managers were known well within the department as being the most difficult and unreasonable. I had terrible middle managers; no guidance, no positive feedback; worked myself ino the ground and burnt out. 2-3 of my former junior colleagues which I adored went to competitors for better work/life balance and compensation. Executive management realized treatment and hierarchy structure was not working and morale was terrible around the time everyone was leaving and enforced in memorandum that junior level employees had to be treated basically like humans (shocker!) ie: nonexcessive overtime, positive communication and delegation, allowing junior level people out for lunch at least once a week (?! is this a work camp/salt mine?) The new president quit after 4 months to go to a competitor (sinking like the Titanic, much?)

Advice to Management

Fire middle management and get positive people in there who don't just look good for clients but mentor and grow junior staff as well.

"Poor Senior Management"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Clients/brands you have the opportunity to work on

Cons

-Poor senior management (senior management is very inexperienced)
    -So many office politics (they reward/promote those who schmooze vs. recognizing hard work)
    -High employee turnover
    -Constant account changes (switching employees to different accounts to try to make up for the turnover)

Advice to Management

Leave the gossip and politics at home. Invest in management training.

"Worst Company to Work For"

Former Employee - Assistant Digital Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Digital Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Absolutely nothing as a pro

Cons

Completely unorganized and no room for growth

Advice to Management

Get some

"Lousy environment"

Pros

Company does good work for clients.

Cons

People at the top are insincere and don't really care about you despite their lip service.

Advice to Management

You are self centered and self serving.

8. "Too Big, yet doesn't Fail"

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time

Pros

Collaboration between offices and some stellar talent throughout the network.

Cons

Lack of qualified leadership as it pertains to worldwide management of production, design and development. A severe lack of communication, relevant thought leadership and a clique culture that does not allow for empowerment, mentorship, inclusion and constant feedback.

Advice to Management

De-centralize this unified approach to production and implement and empower localized autonomy. I cannot get a quick response to anything and my requests are piling up. We will lose accounts if this continues to operate in this fashion. I manage multiple accounts and currently pass on trying to implement within the system or I pursue outside companies.

"Long Hours Low Pay and No Bonus"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

coffee bar, clients are good contacts to work for, scrap food from clients, free cereal

Cons

poor thought leadership, open floor plan, no bonus, long hours

Advice to Management

invest in your human capital

"Not the place to be if you value personal growth and development"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time

Pros

The employees who work at the Coffee Bar and in Office Services are wonderful people.
    I have also heard different WS offices around the country structure management differently and, thus, are in a better place in terms of morale.

Cons

Where do I begin?
    If you're looking for a place with a completely stagnant growth trajectory, where you simply have to check off boxes day after day to succeed, look no further. The majority of management is still around because of tenure and they bring absolutely nothing to the table except for criticism and recycled ideas that have been in place for over a decade. Most of the plans we presented to clients are different versions of the same plan and I found that no one on any of my teams actually believed in the value they delivered to clients (hint - because there is none). If you enter the team in an entry level position, have fun running out to get people's lunches, booking their travel and handling their expenses - because management feels as though these personal tasks are beneath them. You will work abnormally long hours for no pay (they got rid of overtime, by the way) and then get attacked for your mistakes, with no direction on how to improve. You will be expected to "show urgency and enthusiasm" for essentially being a glorified assistant. Your job will require no critical thinking or creativity and you will only be rewarded for completing the simplest of tasks.
    This hierarchical system may have worked for Weber in the past, but media is a changing landscape - it might be time to change some of these outdated methods as well.

Advice to Management

Get trained in how to manage others! Being a manager is more than handing off tasks to your "inferiors" and it is more than constantly delivering criticism. It is about fostering their development and helping them become the best employee that they can be. You should be attending managerial conferences and retreats annually - if nothing more, this will let your employees know that you are at least attempting to improve your skills.