Weber Shandwick Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be hard to maintain if you are on demanding accounts (in 53 reviews)

• work life balance issues and long hours (in 49 reviews)

1. "Great Culture, Great Clients"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with Top 10 Fortune 500 clients every day and the hours can be long sometimes, but my team is so supportive and so is my work. I wouldn't work anywhere but Weber. It's clear that they know happy people = better work. The free coffee and food is also a major plus.

Cons

Demanding clients who sometimes ask far, far too much of junior level staff. Sometimes I was working 60 hours +, but senior staff helped me with my workload.

Advice to Management

Keep treating your staff the way you are treating them and offer junior level employees room for growth. The knowledge of the promotion cycle is what is keeping me motivated day in and day out.

2. "Fast Paced and Creative"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weber creates quality work, fosters a fun office environment and is committed to exposing younger hires to many aspects of their clients' business.

Cons

Unspoken rule to be available for clients 24/7, can sometimes get bogged down in so much day-to-day work it's hard to step back for more creativity.

Advice to Management

Foster an environment with better work/life balanace and try to understand those that perform better with more "me" time away from their desk.

3. "Summer Intern"

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Weber Shandwick (Less than a year)

Pros

This company, especially the Boston office, is filled with passionate and ambitious people. As an intern, I felt that I was given specialized attention and I was never afraid to ask questions, even though all teams were constantly busy with their client work. The culture of the office is positive and teamwork oriented creating a well-rounded experience across all practices. I also found Weber Shandwick to be a very ethical and reputable company to work at, and believe that the Weber name holds a lot of weight while talking to other professionals and those in academia.

Cons

Long period between interview and hiring process.

4. "Good place to earn a solid foundation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Weber Shandwick (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to to earn a solid foundation and learn a lot of skills from a lot of different people; solid client roster and accounts to work on; nice office space

Cons

Different practices tend be keep siloed from one another, so there isn't as much collaboration as there should be. Also could use greater transparency from top leadership - don't always have a sense they're in tune with what's going on within practices/accounts.

Advice to Management

Provide more transparency

"Wobbly direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time

Pros

Customer-focused agency.
    Can attract some top talent.
    Long-term goals for clients.

Cons

Low regard for creatives.
    "Disposable" work force.
    Some questionable recruitment practices.

Advice to Management

Consider whose career you're affecting with off-the-cuff decisions. I watched you hard recruit (with a VP no less!) a younger talent away from other opportunities only to jettison him in a purge of your Minneapolis new talent 3 months later. I left soon after. Terrible.

6. "Strong agency, few flaws"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome people, innovative strategies, always steps ahead and willing to bend over backwards for clients. Great opportunities for younger individuals starting their careers

Cons

Can be long hours, includes high pressure work, high turnover (happens at every agency), low pay for junior level, only annual merit increases

Advice to Management

Listen to your junior levels.

7. "Best Place to Work!"

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time

Pros

Diversity of projects .. work-culture and office culture ... super smart and super fun coworkers .. respect in the industry !

Cons

Pay could be higher

"Save yourself time...and go anywhere else so you can actually grow and learn"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Weber Shandwick (Less than a year)

Pros

The name sounds somewhat fancy on the resume, but I wish I could travel back in time to tell myself to pass on Weber's offer (and get back nearly a year of my life).

Cons

Expect to be hired with promises to advance from HR and management, but very little follow-through despite their vows and your commitment to the company and its clients.

You will commit to VERY long hours with no work-to-life balance. You can forget about your personal relationships, weekends or any other activities that are important to you.

On the crisis team, we regularly worked 13-16 hour days. A typical day would begin with early morning media monitoring reports (7am) and would finish with frantic requests from management for "quick research" usually beginning at 6pm (which will sometimes carry into 11pm or later). You'll be offered vague direction (if you're lucky), or will simply be forwarded a string of emails from management who will expect you to figure out what is needed without an actual briefing. This pattern regularly carries over into the weekend, and over the holidays, despite the fact that no actual client crisis exists.

Additionally, expect to witness some unethical behavior from management. Also expect to be uninspired as you continuously recycle and "tweak" old proposals for new clients to avoid "re-inventing the wheel."

Overall, extremely poor management coupled with a bloated, vertically structured culture that's hung up on bureaucracy and hierarchy. Additionally, be prepared to watch management belittle "junior" level employees while joking about how little the junior staff is paid. In fact, junior staffers met with HR for mediation several times find solutions for what was widely described as a toxic, unprofessional working environment. HR did not follow-through with ways to improve, management did not adjust negative behavior, and employees continued to quit or be miserable at work until they left (one employee left each month during my time there).

Since leaving, I have advised every person I've spoken to to avoid this company at all costs. You will be promised a lot, but none of those promises are actually delivered despite the MANY sacrifices you WILL make (and are expected to make) for the company. Absolutely no payoff!

Advice to Management

Value all employees, address low worker morale and follow-through with promises to advance dedicated workers. This may best be accomplished by firing senior management and starting over.

9. "Group Manager"

Current Employee - Group Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Group Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

culture, the people, great clients

Cons

work/life balance, senior management, pay raise

10. "Super!"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL

Pros

Such nice people and cool location.

Cons

Interns could have a more comprehensive onboarding experience.