Webroot Reviews in San Mateo, CA | Glassdoor

San Mateo, CA

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Webroot CEO Dick Williams
Dick Williams

Pros
  • Work / Life balance is woven into the DNA of the company (in 16 reviews)

• Your co-workers, Webroot has hired some really great people over the years (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Seeing lots of turn over in a dept, but no one seems to care, or listen (in 6 reviews)

• Badly organised, backward outfit (in 3 reviews)

1. "Automation Test Lead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Webroot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good environment with talented people technology and culture.

Verygood HR management

Cons

None as of I know that I can see

2. "Ups and downs"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Webroot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very friendly team members
    Got to work on SaaS and emerging tech
    Flexible work hours

Cons

New management had changed the direction and focused on Desktop software
    Lots of re-orgs, but considerate

"Bad product management and pretty much the worst implementation of agile ."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Webroot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- great software engineering management . Some of them are the best I have worked with .
    - work life balance is pretty good.
    - office buildings are pretty nice

Cons

- communication is difficult with the San Diego threat intelligence team . Most of them pretty much do not speak basic English .
    - agile and scrum here means plotting and scheming against the engineering team . They do not understand that software engineering is a creative process and that engineers would deliver better quality if they did not have to deal with the agile teams' drama
    - no vision or clarity from product management .

Advice to Management

Can we have less office politics from agile team members ?

Webroot Response

Mar 17, 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Thank you for your detailed comments. We are mindful of office politics and try to eliminate it as much as possible. That said, if you or anyone currently at Webroot has ideas on how to improve ... More

5. "Receptionist"

Former Employee - Receptionist in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Receptionist in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Webroot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work, wonderful team like atmosphere. The company offers great benefits too. I was laid off due to company down sizing. I miss working there!!!

Cons

The only cons I have was how far the office was from my house, traffic was bad.

"Was goog not anymore."

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Webroot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, location and flex schedules.

Cons

Technological relevance is fast getting lost.

Advice to Management

Don't promote silos.

"company is going downhill"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Webroot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

work-life balance since there is not much to do;
    Huge empty office space since so many people have been laid off

Cons

7 years ago, the company had tons of cash in the bank and good revenue (considering the size of the company).
    7 years later, they have spend most of the cash to purchase companies so cash mostly is gone, but revenue is less.
    The CEO made tons of simple mistakes and he is running the company to the ground.

Advice to Management

Change the leadership

"Management seem to lost on direction"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Webroot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are nice, smart and hardworking developers, with flexible working hours and work from home days where needed.

Cons

Company mgmt is just trying out various things and is not seeming

Advice to Management

Get your act together... can't keep fooling people all the time.

"Rotten carrots"

Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Webroot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every couple of years they trick employees into believing there is a technology revolution coming and the company may go public, The carrot is always hanging.

Cons

Where do I begin?
    There are constant lay-offs and high profile departures. Look at the facts. The company has gone from almost 600 employees worldwide to just around 400 in a little over a year.
    This company isn't making any money. They threw away their flagship products and are now making even less than they did before.
    In their zest to lighten the load, they laid-off the people who actually worked. They retained manager-types who don't even delegate well.
    The management types love to use buzzwords like frictionless but are only capable of spreading political malice. The same can be said about people recently promoted to the executive level.
    When they do reward hard work their decisions leave one scratching their head - executives who are barely pubescent and have never even had management experience?
    The less we talk about their acquisitions, the better. When was the last time a webroot acquisition result in financial benefits for the company? errr never,. No really, NEVER.

Advice to Management

None. Thanks for the carrot. Good luck with your incompetent engineering management team.

"Not as bad as they say"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Webroot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back place - not a lot to do if you are a manager. Very few projects and people to handle right now.

Great work life balance - i can come in at 11 and walk out at 4. Most of the team works in another office so as long as they get the job done there are only meetings to attend and reports to send.

Great place for QA - QA is very high up the food chain now. We do PM work as well.

Great benefits - Allowed to take spouse to business trips and company pays for it.

Recognition - boss allows me to use business trips as layover for personal trips. 2 birds, one stone. I can make business trips between time-offs and company is fine with sponsoring the personal trip to my vacation destination. Depends on the boss obviously but if you do good work you will get recognized.

Cons

Boring - can get boring. For example i have been working on same script for last 5 months that no one uses. More work for engineers but for managers its pretty boring.

meetings - too many meetings and status reports. usually engineers do the reports but still a pain having to correct their grammar, format, etc

not many technical people left - most of the technical people have left so we have more managers than engineers now. Managers have not been trained in the actual work so the remaining engineers are overburdened.

Advice to Management

Hire people who know what they are doing

"Thanks for the kool aid"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Webroot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I no longer work here!

Cons

This company may likely not last beyond December 2012. In continuing to trust the current management and their buddies from their past affiliations they have ensured Webroot dies a painful death. In under a year the company has slowly gone from having over 500 employees to under 350. That's a huge percentage drop.

After a number of horrible acquisitions with no return on investment the company management has bet the entire house on the assumption that the one lone biased reviewer will help bring back a dead product. Worst still like another reviewer mentioned, is that politics has ensured the wrong people are either let go or allowed to let go. Sorry to say so but if you are still working at Webroot you either have very low self esteem or lack talent to get a job someplace where it matters. Get out before no one else hires you due to your affiliation with Webroot.

Advice to Management

What's the point? They haven't listened to anyone else thus far. There's your advice.