Webster Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Webster Bank Chairman and Chief Executive Officer James C. Smith
James C. Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent Company for work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Great People looking to do what is right for Clients (in 6 reviews)

1. "Webster Way"

I have been working at Webster Bank full-time

Pros

Great benefits, growth potential, career resources. The overall feel of Webster is one big family/community even though we are around 3000 employees.

Cons

Not great maternity leave options. They are decent but other companies have better pay while on leave.

2. "Assistant Banking Center Manager"

I have been working at Webster Bank full-time

Pros

Great people to work with. A lot of flexibility to grow and build your own book of business. Easy accessibility to upper management

Cons

Smaller bank so it's hard to compete with the big banks

3. "Everything depends on management"

I worked at Webster Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

it pays the bills (barely), remote work is technically possible but socially becoming unlikely

Cons

HR doesn't care at all about your boss setting you and others up to fail or being abusive, work life balance benefits were destroyed in 2017, management outsourcing things they don't understand to India because 'anyone can do it' (they can't)

Advice to Management

Don't be abusive, don't gaslight, listen when employees tell you how long a project should take, don't assume things are easy because you haven't bothered to learn the basics about them, don't outsource things to people in a drastically different timezone who had no official training on the work, pick a direction and stick to it so there's not a project to move from A->B followed by a project to move from B->A which is a bad user experience

4. "Anonymous"

I worked at Webster Bank part-time

Pros

Great team, great management and good training .

Cons

Sales goals could be unrealistic.

5. "sales sales sales"

Current Employee - Senior Universal Banker in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Universal Banker in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Webster Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

nice coworkers at branch level be careful on which mgr u work for tho

Cons

too many promotions going on at same time and it seems no one in the sales dept that rolls this stuff out never communicate with each other- makes fir very confusing enviornment- dont even get me started on “salesforce” that system although new needs to be more user friendly

Advice to Management

stop pushing sales down throats and let us build relationships with clients- get everyone on same page before rollong out new promotion

6. "Universal Banker"

I have been working at Webster Bank full-time

Pros

Corporate culture is very friendly and you're encouraged to really get to know customers on personal level, not treat them like a number or a net worth figure. Great place to learn banking basics...if you're in a branch with knowledgeable staff.

Cons

Pay is not great. Technology-wise, Webster is behind the competition. Nobody seems to be interested in streamlining operations and in a world where many of the other banks have gone paperless, this bank is still ridiculously document heavy. Even when they try to bring in new tech, nobody ever seems to know what they're doing and nothing works as it should. Often feels like you spend more time doing busy work than actual work. Certain processes actually kill motivation. Nothing like busting your hump and making your numbers only to see them eaten away by things like chargeback and CSAT scores. Upward mobility ends up being completely undesirable as you watch your superiors struggle under micro-management and clunky metrics. Training for newbie bankers largely useless as things change once you're in an actual branch.

Advice to Management

Innovate! We're horribly behind the 8-ball in this department. And for God's sake, streamline! Loads of checklists and logs do nothing but create clutter.

7. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Webster Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not a positive work environment

Cons

Bad inexperienced upper management, bank charges illegal fees

Advice to Management

Get another job

"Good company spirit, Bank managers left much to be desired"

I worked at Webster Bank full-time

Pros

The role had much versatility, different from most banks, you learn to do everything, so the customers can go to any teller and open an account, or apply for a home equity line of credit. Webster strove to be #1 in customer service, and there was some growth opportunity

Cons

It seemed that the management would praise or reprimand you more on how much they liked you than on how well you performed. I sometimes felt pressured to do transactions with customers without getting proper identification; within 2 months of starting a very busy branch, I was scolded by the manager for asking for a customer's ID "This customer comes in here every single month, you should recognize them by now" I also felt as though my voice was not heard, and I often found myself in 'damned if I do, damned if I don't' situations. Perhaps the reason for this is because asking for a customer's ID is an inconvenience for the customer, and the manager doesn't want that, but if you don't ask for their ID and something goes wrong, they can pin it on you, and they aren't at fault.

Besides, there is not a consistent schedule, and you have to carefully check your start/end time every day. You would get 2 days off per week, Sunday and one day in the Monday-Saturday range, though you would typically have to work 3-4 Saturdays before getting one off. It makes scheduling for other events/appointments difficult.

Advice to Management

Treat non managerial employees better - listen to what they have to say, treat them fairly, and give them clear parameters they have to follow

"Awesome colleagues; poorly managed call center."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Webster Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Colleagues are always willing to help each other out.

Cons

Work-life balance doesn't exist as long as you don't make the sales.

Advice to Management

When you're promoting from within: Stop playing favorites. The ones who stay quiet and submissive aren't as loyal to the company as you think they are.

"Vice President"

I worked at Webster Bank full-time

Pros

Great People looking to do what is right for Clients

Cons

Need to grow in the markets they are in other than CT. Way too CT central, other locations feel secondary

Advice to Management

Work on giving the tools and support needed