WeddingWire Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
WeddingWire CEO Timothy Chi
Timothy Chi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They allow me to have an amazing work/life balance and have given me many opportunities to grow (in 13 reviews)

• Unlimited PTO, daily catered breakfast, fun events, great culture (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • I also experienced first hand the upper management being very inappropriate with staff (in 7 reviews)

• Still relatively new so no 401k matching yet (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Coming to Work Isn't a Chore"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WW is truly a great place to work. There are many reasons why, which I'll explain, but the two takeaways are 1) this an organization that genuinely cares about its people, and it shows on a daily basis. For example, one day recently, one of the VPS randomly offered to buy me breakfast from the cafe without any rhyme or reason. 2) My coworkers are, overall, enjoyable people to work with. They are generally very friendly, hard-working, and down to earth. Like many, I've made friends since working here:

-Flexibility. As long as you're doing your job, you can work from home and take as much time as you need for paid time off.
    -Culture. When I tell friends and family the events that WW does, they're pretty amazed. Casual dress, Taco Tuesday, catered breakfast every day, open bars, top notch Halloween and Holiday Parties, catered lunch at the end of the month, and on and on. For me, even having an office Kurig with a dozen flavors is not insignificant when you up the cost of coffee everyday.
    -Customer Success. It's encouraging working for an organization that also cares about its customers. I don't know of any other company that calls and emails its customers to ask how they are doing with their account, and most of WW's vendors appreciate that. People often think that our team listens to vendors yell at them all day, but that's not the case. Most of our interactions with vendors are either positive or neutral, and I think it shows by the daily stream of vendor love that is shared throughout the organization. It should also be said that Customer Success gets perks that are available to Sales even though it does't carry sales quota - monthly bonuses, sales trips, dinners, and meals on the company tab. The Director and VP of Customer Success are both highly competent and always seem to have the team's best interests in mind.
    -Executive Team/Senior Management. They know me and many others at WW by name. They appear to be in touch with the rest of the organization, and most recently, the top and HR are showing that they are clearly listening to their employees' main concerns, which is heartening and a contrast to other businesses who are completely indifferent.

Cons

There aren't many negatives, but no organization is perfect, especially one that has scaled to WW's size over a short period of time.
    -Career Growth. There are some legitimate concerns here, but with some very big caveats. The other reviews who make critiques about career growth fail to add important context. First, some of those who I've spoken with first hand who felt there weren't enough career opportunities for them 1) weren't top performers on our team or 2) hadn't been at WeddingWire long enough to be able to lay the ground work for a career path. The reality is that building a career is a long term process that doesn't happen overnight. By and large, hard work and talent is awarded with opportunities for promotion.
    -Junior Managers. While there are some excellent more junior managers on the third floor, there are also those whose skill set and judgment I think there is good reason to question.
    -Lastly, call me an apologist for WeddingWire all that you'd like, but some of criticisms I've seen or read reek of entitlement. For example, complaints about the free catered breakfast or lunch or a review that lamented that their team trip to a tropical island was "downgraded" to a major metropolitan city with great nightlife - give me a break. The reality is that - across the board, not just at WW -millennials aren't sticking around many companies for very long (hence, the high turnover criticism). Long story short: there is little loyalty but a big sense of entitlement. I say that as a millennial myself.

Advice to Management

For someone who has thoroughly enjoyed working at WeddingWire, I don't have much to add. It's been pretty apparent from when I first started working here, WW was being run by a highly talented group of people who had a clear and compelling vision of where they wanted to take the organization. That is still true today. Like I mentioned above, some of the concerns about career growth are legitimate, and I can see that through the employee engagement survey results it's something you're aware of (thank you for listening). The most important area for improvement is this: for those employees who have hit their goals and contributed meaningfully year after year, and have sown talent, loyalty, and dedication, there should be as many opportunities as possible to grow within WW.

WeddingWire Response

Jun 21, 2017 – VP, Customer Experience

This review makes me smile for many reasons but above all I’m impressed with how you thoughtfully share your experiences with WeddingWire, our customers, and our team. It’s a rare pleasure to work... More

"WeddingWire is great!"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture and people make WeddingWire a great place to work. Really like the unlimited PTO and fun events hosted by the company. There is opportunity to grow at the company if you put in the hard work.

Cons

Benefits aren't that stellar, probably because they hire mostly young professionals, fresh out of college who are too young to really care.

Advice to Management

Management is great at motivating. Showing attention and appreciation for the work even when we're having a bad month would be appreciated.

"Don't be fooled"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chevy Chase, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chevy Chase, MD

I worked at WeddingWire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We get paid in stickers.

Cons

Entire sales floor is cliquey and any perceived difference in beliefs is openly called out.
    Very low compensation for the area, even a lot less than told during recruiting and interview process. A lot of reps still live at home or have second jobs.
    Prepare to be micromanaged.
    If you get stuck with lower-tier markets then you will have a slim chance for growth among the company.
    Constant change (new managers, sales rules, etc.)
    You will never get a straight up answer and everything is sugar-coated and spun around.
    Open favoritism between managers and reps.
    Being "scum" or "scamy" is joked about regularly.
    Very high turnover that is constantly addressed as "oh everything is fine"
    Suggestions or complaints are often swept under the rug
    Monthly quotas get larger and larger with over-saturated markets

Advice to Management

Address any of the above cons.

"Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

WeddingWire treats their employees the way they would like to be treated- fairly. I have never worked for a company (and I'm 31 so I have worked for a lot) that cares this much about their employees. Yes I'm in sales, yes sales is hard, yes sales can be stressful, but my success and my ability to do well in this position falls on MY shoulders. WeddingWire does everything they can on their end to support me and I can't imagine working anywhere else. They allow me to have an amazing work/life balance and have given me many opportunities to grow.

Cons

Nothing except the general (and minimal) stress that comes with the territory of being in sales!

"Great job with flexibility"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

WedidngWire is a great place to work. Period. You have to take all of these reviews with a grain of salt. I believe people are unhappy because they get too comfortable. It's a very casual environment; You have to know where to draw the line between work and play. You become close friends with everyone around you, and it can become distracting. A huge component to success here is focus and organization. You have to set mini goals and have your manager and peers hold you accountable to them. One of the greatest aspects of WeddingWire is the environment and team spirit. If you're a team player, you'll fit in perfectly. The only time I see people fail is when they over socialize and don't do their job. People, like anywhere else, have a tendency to blame their managers rather than take responsibility. The people who focus, do well. I don't think there is any favoritism - I think people get jealous of peers' success. If you hit your goal and take on responsibility, you will see praise and recognition. That's one of my favorite aspects of WeddingWire. It's a great, supportive place to work. With unlimited PTO - to be used with your own discretion, and a flexible work environment, you really can't lose. If you're looking to work here, just know you must be a self motivator to get the most out of WeddingWire. WeddingWire will let you take full advantage of the benefits and resources, which makes it a great place to start or further pursue your career.

Cons

- Base pay isn't competitive with the DC market (benefits like PTO can be used make up for this discrepancy)
    - Work environment can be unprofessional (but you get that with any growing start up)

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job! Thank you for all of your hard work. The only couple suggestions I would make are:
    - For promotions - larger increase in base pay and commissions.
    - Upper management needs to be more aware of their behavior around sales reps. For example, if I'm having a bad month and am behind pacing, it is very apparent upper management knows, and does not treat me as well as they had previous months - when I am doing well. Respect and treatment should be consistent. This kind of behavior is not motivating and unprofessional.

"Amazing experience working here!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WeddingWire is an amazing place to work! I have been with the company for two years and I have nothing but wonderful things to say about my experience. I am valued by my superiors, compensated fairly, and recognized for my hard work. The environment is so much fun and I work with my best friends.

Cons

The job can be stressful at times (like any sales role) but it is nothing that can't be handled.

Advice to Management

I think management does a great job motivating their teams.

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Chevy Chase, MD
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Chevy Chase, MD

I worked at WeddingWire (Less than a year)

Pros

- Extremely nice managers/co-workers
    - Exciting work environment
    - People care a lot about your success
    - Good hours/work-life balance
    - Learned a lot of useful skills
    - Marketing team is great

Cons

- not full-time as the intern, so didn't make as much money, but the people I worked under were extremely nice and I learned a lot of great skills and made good connections

"Great place to grow your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule, amazing culture, foreign expansion, and approachable executive team.

Cons

Open office concept tends to be loud, a lot of benefits are directed at young people and do not account for the aging workforce, cost of living adjustments are not standard.

Advice to Management

The overall management of the company is amazing and very open to feedback. I would like management to prioritize talent retention by increasing the 401k match and institutionalizing yearly cost of living adjustments.

"Highly recommend working here!"

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited PTO, daily catered breakfast, fun events, great culture! It's a really innovative place to work!

Cons

I can't really think of any!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Career Maker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunity WeddingWire has provided me in terms of career growth has been incredible. They helped me go from someone who just graduated college, to someone who has the freedom to make a meaningful difference on our Marketing team. I feel trusted amongst my teammates, and the feeling is mutual. We are constantly innovating, researching, and pushing one another to find the best possible route for a given project, and each and every learning experience is a gift.

On a more personal level, each team is pretty close knit - and departments do many team building activities/trips/events to promote good camaraderie. From a corporate standpoint, there are also a lot of opportunities to mingle with those in different departments, along with great company parties/happy hours to reward hard work!

For a company that has grown exponentially in my time here (there were 130 employees when I joined, now there are around 600+ internationally), I'm extremely impressed with how even when there have been blips, they are handled with grace, learned from, and corrected. Complacency rarely exists, and if it does, it's not long lived.

On a final note, the Exec team is tremendous. They make a true effort to get to know their employees BY NAME, and will never hesitate to greet you in passing. It's great to feel like you go to work everyday working for people you actually like, instead of the usual grind of corporate America.

Cons

I believe WeddingWire gives us the freedom to determine our professional destinies - and with hard (and smart!) work, you won't be disappointed. However, the work environment may not suit everyone. For example, we have a ping pong table, speakeasy, unlimited PTO, etc - and these things are meant to be used to the extent that they don't interfere with your productivity. If you're unable to manage your time due to these distractions (or those similar), it's possible you'll have a hard time succeeding.

Advice to Management

I know we've been trying our best to align our departments the best we can, but let's continue to keep closing any gaps in cross-team communication.

WeddingWire Response

Mar 23, 2017 – Manager, Culture and Experience

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this thoughtful feedback. It is our top priority here at WeddingWire to ensure that we are providing a positive, unique employee experience all the... More