WeddingWire Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
WeddingWire CEO Timothy Chi
Timothy Chi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They allow me to have an amazing work/life balance and have given me many opportunities to grow" (in 19 reviews)

• "Some teams may side-eye you for taking vacation time, but others will happily let you use your unlimited PTO to your heart's content" (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also, unlimited PTO is a marketing tactic - you will be guilted into taking less than you would at other jobs" (in 8 reviews)

• "Still relatively new so no 401k matching yet" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Loved it here for more than 3 years now"

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

- great company culture, People really care about everybody's well-being and happiness
    - work/life balance
    - high input into work and results
    - flexibility

Cons

- communication can get lost sometimes which can be frustrating when working on big projects

Advice to Management

Be more visible

May 25, 2018 – Manager, Culture and Experience

We agree that our company culture, including the work life balance and flexible schedule, is one of the best things about working at WeddingWire! Thank you for being a part of the WeddingWire Team!

2. "Senior Account Executive"

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

work life balance is great

Cons

pay isn't great but there are other perks

Jun 27, 2018 – Manager, Culture and Experience

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback!

"Neutral outlook"

I worked at WeddingWire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working here was great up until this year specifically. Unlimited PTO, renovations happening of entire office, daily catered breakfast is a plus, $250 for personal enrichment, lunches at the end of the month

Cons

Benefits have gone down-hill since switching companies, 401k match is not up to par with other companies in area, and the culture has declined especially in this past year.

Advice to Management

Communicate better and be more transparent.

"Will only get hired if you were in a sorority"

Former Employee - Sales in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I worked at WeddingWire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Company wide events are fun
    - Team bonding events are usually fun if your team isn’t a huge click
    - Easiest job you will ever do
    - Overall a good product, but hard to sell

Cons

- Poor leadership team, which should be assumed when a wedding company is run by all men. They disillusion their employees with “perks.” Personally, I would take career opportunities and the chance to be more involved in strategic initiatives over “perks” any day. That’s just me though.
    - Seeing as they only hire kids out of college that have a panhel association, the culture is toxic and immature (in sales specifically)
    - Unlimited PTO is a ruse. Your manager may or may not let you take off certain days (or make you cancel your trip/work during your trip to hit goal). If you aren’t at goal before your trip, you will be guilted relentlessly up to it. There is no flexibility here.
    - Managers are cheerleaders, not mentors
    - Executive team is elitist and condescending towards intelligent, hardworking employees who could help grow their business

Advice to Management

Value the talent you have, and recognize the opportunities they could bring.

"Great Culture + Atmosphere with Lacking Long-term Benefits"

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upper management is constantly pushing employees to grow, providing learning opportunities and chances for play; a real work hard, play hard environment. Ability to enroll in Smartbenefits, FSA/HSA, commuter stipend.

Cons

The maternity/paternity leave is not at all on pace with other tech companies in the US: *4* weeks paid, eligibility for 5 to 7 weeks of STD payments plus FMLA. The retirement match is also a bit of a joke. Definitely a benefits package that is geared towards 20-somethings; not a benefits package meant to curate long-term employees.

Jun 6, 2018 – Manager, Culture and Experience

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are always striving to provide the best employee experience, as well as offer competitive benefits to our employees. Feedback... More

"Meh"

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Catered breakfast
    Fun coworkers
    Metro accessible DC office

Cons

As MANY reviewers have mentioned, there are a lot of managers who only are there because of tenure/office politics. Don't expect anyone to be punished for being a terrible manager though. That would require accountability and we don't do that here.

HR function provides little value - in the past 2 years, they've rolled out a new intranet that no one uses, rolled out a "safety" app that no one understands, and implemented a new review process that managers don't follow. All the while patting themselves in the back for all the CHANGES they're making while actually doing nothing.

Execs only care about culture to the extent it makes their company more valuable. Employees are viewed as completely disposable.

My advice to anyone interviewing - think very, very carefully about what you can get out of this job. You will not get a sales management position because they will be reserved for the "OGs". Negotiate for better pay because they WILL low-ball you.

Advice to Management

You're either not listening or simply don't care - if you don't care, stop asking for employee feedback constantly, because clearly you do not take it seriously. Case in point: for years, employees have asked for more recognition and a decent 401k match - you gave us...a new floor no one wanted (and frankly don't need, because half the development team has left / been fired)

Stop posting the fake 5 star reviews. It's transparent and embarrassing.

Your own employees use competitors' tools and products for their own weddings. There is 0 product vision, and ultimately this will sink the company.

Jul 3, 2018 – Director of Sales

Thank you for sharing your candid thoughts. As a current employee who has been with us for a number of years, you’ve seen first hand how our business has changed. Growing as we have doesn’t come... More

7. "The people is really what makes this place a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Unlimited PTO
    -Catered Breakfast Daily
    -Incentives
    -Company Events
    -Great on- boarding process
    -Fun perks including Treat YoSelf.

The experience walking in to the office is amazing with an open floor plan and the entire headquarters is being renovated as well.

The people here are amazing. The execs are incredible people to work with.

Cons

-Really none. It doesn't;t get much better than this.

Advice to Management

-Keep it up!

-I appreciate all the feedback opportunities.

Apr 11, 2018 – Manager, Culture and Experience

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. We are lucky to have you as a part of the WeddingWire team!

"Straight & White? This is the sorority for you"

I worked at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

WeddingWire was a unique experience. In some ways, it was one of the most enjoyable jobs I’ve ever had. The people were fantastic. They’re young, talented, friendly, and progressive. But lovely coworkers are rarely enough to stay in a position, especially when management degrades into a confusion, disarray, and unfair treatment.

WW can be a great place if you’re blessed to be on a great team with a capable manager. Unfortunately, my team was not one of those and this completely altered my impression of the company. I spent the greater part of my time at WeddingWire watching a confused and lost product team flounder through projects and ideas, with little to no overall direction or goals.

— For the most part the Exec team is wonderful and has a deep love for the company and the employees.

— The people. WeddingWire has some of the best people I’ve ever worked with and that dynamic is often enough to make you overlook the major problems within the company.

— Company events. The culture and events really do have some great elements and so much of this is on the fantastic people you work with.

Cons

— This is *not* a diverse or queer-friendly place to work. At its core, it’s a very white, privileged straight environment that has very few PoC and LGBTQ people. This is a company that espouses their diversity since they own GayWeddings.com, but it’s little more than a headline grab. Many LGBTQ people within the teams have kept their sexuality and or gender identity hidden, due to fear of harassment and discrimination. While many of the problematic people eventually left or were removed, their exits were not associated with their discriminatory conduct, so WeddingWire never had to acknowledge those actions.

— Managers are not held responsible for failures. If you’ve been at the company for a long time, you have immunity from actions. This includes everything from poor management skills to dated strategies to straight up discriminatory acts.

— People leave due to managers, more often than the company. This is more true here than any company I’ve worked for. Managers are chosen based on time with the company, which leaves unqualified “leaders” that create an environment of fear, gas lighting, and general confusion.

— The benefits are nice, but the compensation is well below market value. Expect it to be 20-30% below what you’d make elsewhere.

— Product development is exceptionally slow. Due to the large amounts of red tape, tech debt, and top-down only direction; launching a product or feature is a crawl. This also leads to very small outdated features being ‘added’ that are celebrated, even though they took excessive amounts of time and don’t catch the product up to modern standards. Everything is reactive and there’s very little strategy used to determine what is built. All of it seems to come from higher-ups, who can change their mind on a whim and erase months of work. The company pushes a ‘Fail fest’ concept, but it’s rarely used. Projects that should fail go on way too long, and the plug is pulled on others for seemingly no reason but an opinion.

— Company has recently instituted massive changes that have resulted in a large exodus of people from the company. It looks like these were done as a way to push attrition and raise profits, without having to announce a layoff.

Advice to Management

— You may espouse top level diversity and inclusion tagline at the executive level, but that does not filter down. The company is one of the least diverse companies in DC. There are very few PoC or Queer people on the teams. To give an example, DC’s population is about 10% LGBTQ. Tech Companies in the area tend to see more like 15% representation. WeddingWire is more in the 4% range, which is pretty telling for a company who claims ‘Inclusion’.

— Be willing to move on from management that isn’t working. Time and time again, Management and product direction have failed to hit marks or produce a solid vision, but still stand upon the decision-making tree.

— Quit just mimicking the competition. Just because they do it doesn’t mean that’s the direction you should go. Look to the future, don’t be so reactive.

"account executive review"

I worked at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

great culture

growth opportunties

work remotly from home

Cons

aggressive performance plan resulting in termination if not met in 3 months

Mar 7, 2018 – Manager, Culture and Experience

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback!

10. "Great start up atmosphere"

I worked at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

Fun corporate atmosphere with lots of millennial perks

Cons

depending on the department the employees are very young and can become unprofessional when it comes to personal lives.

Mar 6, 2018 – Manager, Culture and Experience

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback!