WeddingWire Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
WeddingWire CEO Timothy Chi
Timothy Chi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They allow me to have an amazing work/life balance and have given me many opportunities to grow (in 15 reviews)

• Really like the unlimited PTO and fun events hosted by the company (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • I also experienced first hand the upper management being very inappropriate with staff (in 7 reviews)

• Still relatively new so no 401k matching yet (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Coming to Work Isn't a Chore"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WW is truly a great place to work. There are many reasons why, which I'll explain, but the two takeaways are 1) this an organization that genuinely cares about its people, and it shows on a daily basis. For example, one day recently, one of the VPS randomly offered to buy me breakfast from the cafe without any rhyme or reason. 2) My coworkers are, overall, enjoyable people to work with. They are generally very friendly, hard-working, and down to earth. Like many, I've made friends since working here:

-Flexibility. As long as you're doing your job, you can work from home and take as much time as you need for paid time off.
    -Culture. When I tell friends and family the events that WW does, they're pretty amazed. Casual dress, Taco Tuesday, catered breakfast every day, open bars, top notch Halloween and Holiday Parties, catered lunch at the end of the month, and on and on. For me, even having an office Kurig with a dozen flavors is not insignificant when you up the cost of coffee everyday.
    -Customer Success. It's encouraging working for an organization that also cares about its customers. I don't know of any other company that calls and emails its customers to ask how they are doing with their account, and most of WW's vendors appreciate that. People often think that our team listens to vendors yell at them all day, but that's not the case. Most of our interactions with vendors are either positive or neutral, and I think it shows by the daily stream of vendor love that is shared throughout the organization. It should also be said that Customer Success gets perks that are available to Sales even though it does't carry sales quota - monthly bonuses, sales trips, dinners, and meals on the company tab. The Director and VP of Customer Success are both highly competent and always seem to have the team's best interests in mind.
    -Executive Team/Senior Management. They know me and many others at WW by name. They appear to be in touch with the rest of the organization, and most recently, the top and HR are showing that they are clearly listening to their employees' main concerns, which is heartening and a contrast to other businesses who are completely indifferent.

Cons

There aren't many negatives, but no organization is perfect, especially one that has scaled to WW's size over a short period of time.
    -Career Growth. There are some legitimate concerns here, but with some very big caveats. The other reviews who make critiques about career growth fail to add important context. First, some of those who I've spoken with first hand who felt there weren't enough career opportunities for them 1) weren't top performers on our team or 2) hadn't been at WeddingWire long enough to be able to lay the ground work for a career path. The reality is that building a career is a long term process that doesn't happen overnight. By and large, hard work and talent is awarded with opportunities for promotion.
    -Junior Managers. While there are some excellent more junior managers on the third floor, there are also those whose skill set and judgment I think there is good reason to question.
    -Lastly, call me an apologist for WeddingWire all that you'd like, but some of criticisms I've seen or read reek of entitlement. For example, complaints about the free catered breakfast or lunch or a review that lamented that their team trip to a tropical island was "downgraded" to a major metropolitan city with great nightlife - give me a break. The reality is that - across the board, not just at WW -millennials aren't sticking around many companies for very long (hence, the high turnover criticism). Long story short: there is little loyalty but a big sense of entitlement. I say that as a millennial myself.

Advice to Management

For someone who has thoroughly enjoyed working at WeddingWire, I don't have much to add. It's been pretty apparent from when I first started working here, WW was being run by a highly talented group of people who had a clear and compelling vision of where they wanted to take the organization. That is still true today. Like I mentioned above, some of the concerns about career growth are legitimate, and I can see that through the employee engagement survey results it's something you're aware of (thank you for listening). The most important area for improvement is this: for those employees who have hit their goals and contributed meaningfully year after year, and have sown talent, loyalty, and dedication, there should be as many opportunities as possible to grow within WW.

Jun 21, 2017 – VP, Customer Experience

This review makes me smile for many reasons but above all I’m impressed with how you thoughtfully share your experiences with WeddingWire, our customers, and our team. It’s a rare pleasure to work... More

2. "Account Executive"

I worked at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

Amazing company culture, awesome benefits package, wonderful communication within the organization, unlimited PTO - not enough positives to say about this company.

Cons

Disconnect if working remotely - the office life and culture is superb, but it was really hard to feel connected if working outside the office.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

3. "Great Work Environment"

I worked at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

Everyone is positive. We had awesome in-office perks, like free breakfast, often got free lunch as well, and had many fun company happy hours and celebrations.

Cons

The company was growing quickly but there was not enough opportunity for upward mobility in my department. This is why I eventually left.

Advice to Management

Continue to be positive and motivate employees and you will do great!

Oct 16, 2017 – Manager, Culture and Experience

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. We agree that the people and the perks are two of the best things about working at WeddingWire!

4. "Great Company"

I worked at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

Work Life balance
    Team WOrk
    Forward Thinking

Cons

Nothing- Great company to work with

Oct 16, 2017 – Manager, Culture and Experience

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Work life balance is very important to us and we are glad we hit the mark here!

5. "Amazing"

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at WeddingWire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, kind/genuine people, less red tape, fun, casual dress, amazing PTO policy, tons of free food

Cons

No company is perfect, and everyone's experience is different based on your manager, but can't say any major cons

Oct 16, 2017 – Manager, Culture and Experience

You are right, our employees are one of the best parts of WeddingWire! We were lucky to have you as a part of the team and we appreciate you taking the time to leave this review!

"Most disappointing work experience of my life."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC

I worked at WeddingWire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had really high hopes for this job and thought this was going to be an amazing opportunity. I couldn't have been more wrong. I wish I could erase this experience from my life. I can't recommend running as fast away from this place as you can. I'll be surprised if this review stays live for longer than a week bc it seems like WeddingWire is successfully doing everything they can to offset any negative reviews with multiple fake canned reviews like "Coming to Work isn't a Chore!" C'mon man.

Here are my honest thoughts based on my experience:

- Micromanagement and manager's general abuse of power seems to be rampant across all departments. My supervisor constantly stole credit for my work while giving me 0 recognition for my efforts over the course of my time there.
    - Unlimited PTO is a ploy to get people in the doors and only a select few teams actually have this flexibility. No government holidays off or additional time around the end of the year off means you need to choose to use your vacation time wisely. You'll likely be shamed every single day up until you leave for your time off and then again when you return.
    - Zero diversity across all teams (in terms of ethnicity and thought) which boggles my mind for a tech company based out of the DC area. Everyone in my department looks the same, acts the same, thinks the same, and likes the same things. The hiring team is exclusively blonde haired, blue eyed caucasian women so what would you expect? POC need not apply here.
    - Your manager will be the first person to throw you under the bus if 'you're making them look bad' meanwhile they'll still enjoy all the luxuries their position holds and even receive promotions while stepping over the backs of their subordinates. I can say this because it happened to me and several of my former colleagues.
    - 75% of the people that were in my orientation class either were fired or quit because they couldn't take the constant stress of this company anymore. It's sad that WeddingWire is so willing to let go of hardworking people (who have genuine values and could've been the exemplary brand champions the company truly needs) while instead rewarding those who get by on unethical terms.
    - If you don't hit the unrealistic goals set in place OR just don't fit in to the white-washed culture -- you'll be blindsided by surprise performance reviews, frozen out by your team, and reprimanded by your supervisor in every single check-in meeting until you finally break and decide to quit or get fired.
    - I've witnessed dozens of intelligent, hard-working, kind, and dedicated employees burn out from the mistreatment they received from this place. Instead of trying to make a real effort to motivate employees and boost morale, WW will gladly kick you to the curb bc they know they will find another replacement for you in the form of some bright eyed fresh new graduate that's wooed by the frat culture and willing to work for pennies.
    - I can attest to a prior GD contributor and say I also suffered from terrible anxiety for a year from the constant stress of my work environment. After leaving this place I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.
    - HR is not your friend (unless you're a manager or above) and they will schedule surprise meetings to shower you in condescending feedback that supports whatever BS opinion your supervisor has made up of you.

Cons

- Need I say more? Just don't come here. Seriously, save yourself the agony. It's not worth the free breakfast burritos.

Advice to Management

- Do a deep dive into the 'culture' you're so0o0o proud of and really examine what it represents and the types of people you're hiring.
    - Stop rewarding horrible managers while allowing them to treat their employees like garbage, steal credit for their work, and then run them out the doors. A manager shouldn't be eligible for a promotion while firing hard-working employees. Take some responsibility.
    - Innovate. Your product is old and the interface and features that come with membership are outdated. No wedding business owner that is digitally advanced and has some degree of Marketing knowledge can take this product seriously.
    - Maybe bring in some women to the exec team? All male senior leaders for a company that is representative of a female-centric industry doesn't sound right to me, but what do i know, I'm just an ex-employee of WeddingWire.

"WeddingWire is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

I've been at WeddingWire for a few years now and I've seen some growing pains however they take these growing pains in stride and always keep everyone well informed about changes. First off, the Executive team is absolutely incredible, they know everyone that works here, they sincerely enjoy engaging with the employees and they are extremely talented.

One thing that has stood out to me since I've been here is the flexibility, I mean not too many places provide unlimited PTO. WeddingWire understands that life happens. I'm very appreciative of all the great benefits they offer like end of the month lunches, team trips, daily catered breakfast, and awesome people to work with.

Cons

I know a lot of these reviews revolves around sales and their quotas and poor management however WeddingWire really tries to motivate you to do well in your role. I ado agree with the previous reviews about millennials and how they feel the need for entitlement where they constantly want to complain about everything that is free to them. HOWEVER, I always see people happy and that's what matters most.

Advice to Management

Thanks for providing an awesome Culture!

Oct 16, 2017 – Manager, Culture and Experience

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share this thoughtful feedback with us and talking through some of our favorite parts of WeddingWire! It sounds like we are hitting the mark on providing... More

8. "Great flexible company, could change up incentives."

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Team
    Good Pay
    Upper management is very open to discussing things
    open door policy
    unlimited time off
    free food
    casual dress
    Managers are great with communication

Cons

The incentive promotions only really go to the top performers, so if you do not have a top market you won't get them. Nothing is really % to goal. So the same 5 people win every time

Advice to Management

More a clear path on how to get promoted
    Switch up your sales incentives so others have a chance to win

Oct 16, 2017 – Manager, Culture and Experience

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your candid and sincere feedback!

9. "great"

Pros

great place for you to grow and learn at the start of your career!

Cons

micro managing, no growth opps

Oct 16, 2017 – Manager, Culture and Experience

Growth & development are some of our top priorities for our employees. Thank you for taking the time to give us the thumbs up on this area of our company!

10. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Truly love working for WeddingWire!!

Cons

No cons to add about the company.

Oct 16, 2017 – Manager, Culture and Experience

We truly love that you work for WeddingWire!