WeddingWire Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
WeddingWire CEO Timothy Chi
Timothy Chi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They allow me to have an amazing work/life balance and have given me many opportunities to grow (in 17 reviews)

• Some teams may side-eye you for taking vacation time, but others will happily let you use your unlimited PTO to your heart's content (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • The 401k match is tiny, the smallest I've ever experienced at a company (in 9 reviews)

• The sales department seems to have a high-pressure environment and high turnover (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Coming to Work Isn't a Chore"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WW is truly a great place to work. There are many reasons why, which I'll explain, but the two takeaways are 1) this an organization that genuinely cares about its people, and it shows on a daily basis. For example, one day recently, one of the VPS randomly offered to buy me breakfast from the cafe without any rhyme or reason. 2) My coworkers are, overall, enjoyable people to work with. They are generally very friendly, hard-working, and down to earth. Like many, I've made friends since working here:

-Flexibility. As long as you're doing your job, you can work from home and take as much time as you need for paid time off.
    -Culture. When I tell friends and family the events that WW does, they're pretty amazed. Casual dress, Taco Tuesday, catered breakfast every day, open bars, top notch Halloween and Holiday Parties, catered lunch at the end of the month, and on and on. For me, even having an office Kurig with a dozen flavors is not insignificant when you up the cost of coffee everyday.
    -Customer Success. It's encouraging working for an organization that also cares about its customers. I don't know of any other company that calls and emails its customers to ask how they are doing with their account, and most of WW's vendors appreciate that. People often think that our team listens to vendors yell at them all day, but that's not the case. Most of our interactions with vendors are either positive or neutral, and I think it shows by the daily stream of vendor love that is shared throughout the organization. It should also be said that Customer Success gets perks that are available to Sales even though it does't carry sales quota - monthly bonuses, sales trips, dinners, and meals on the company tab. The Director and VP of Customer Success are both highly competent and always seem to have the team's best interests in mind.
    -Executive Team/Senior Management. They know me and many others at WW by name. They appear to be in touch with the rest of the organization, and most recently, the top and HR are showing that they are clearly listening to their employees' main concerns, which is heartening and a contrast to other businesses who are completely indifferent.

Cons

There aren't many negatives, but no organization is perfect, especially one that has scaled to WW's size over a short period of time.
    -Career Growth. There are some legitimate concerns here, but with some very big caveats. The other reviews who make critiques about career growth fail to add important context. First, some of those who I've spoken with first hand who felt there weren't enough career opportunities for them 1) weren't top performers on our team or 2) hadn't been at WeddingWire long enough to be able to lay the ground work for a career path. The reality is that building a career is a long term process that doesn't happen overnight. By and large, hard work and talent is awarded with opportunities for promotion.
    -Junior Managers. While there are some excellent more junior managers on the third floor, there are also those whose skill set and judgment I think there is good reason to question.
    -Lastly, call me an apologist for WeddingWire all that you'd like, but some of criticisms I've seen or read reek of entitlement. For example, complaints about the free catered breakfast or lunch or a review that lamented that their team trip to a tropical island was "downgraded" to a major metropolitan city with great nightlife - give me a break. The reality is that - across the board, not just at WW -millennials aren't sticking around many companies for very long (hence, the high turnover criticism). Long story short: there is little loyalty but a big sense of entitlement. I say that as a millennial myself.

Advice to Management

For someone who has thoroughly enjoyed working at WeddingWire, I don't have much to add. It's been pretty apparent from when I first started working here, WW was being run by a highly talented group of people who had a clear and compelling vision of where they wanted to take the organization. That is still true today. Like I mentioned above, some of the concerns about career growth are legitimate, and I can see that through the employee engagement survey results it's something you're aware of (thank you for listening). The most important area for improvement is this: for those employees who have hit their goals and contributed meaningfully year after year, and have sown talent, loyalty, and dedication, there should be as many opportunities as possible to grow within WW.

Jun 21, 2017 – VP, Customer Experience

This review makes me smile for many reasons but above all I’m impressed with how you thoughtfully share your experiences with WeddingWire, our customers, and our team. It’s a rare pleasure to work... More

2. "The people is really what makes this place a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Unlimited PTO
    -Catered Breakfast Daily
    -Incentives
    -Company Events
    -Great on- boarding process
    -Fun perks including Treat YoSelf.

The experience walking in to the office is amazing with an open floor plan and the entire headquarters is being renovated as well.

The people here are amazing. The execs are incredible people to work with.

Cons

-Really none. It doesn't;t get much better than this.

Advice to Management

-Keep it up!

-I appreciate all the feedback opportunities.

Apr 11, 2018 – Manager, Culture and Experience

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. We are lucky to have you as a part of the WeddingWire team!

"Straight & White? This is the sorority for you"

I worked at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

WeddingWire was a unique experience. In some ways, it was one of the most enjoyable jobs I’ve ever had. The people were fantastic. They’re young, talented, friendly, and progressive. But lovely coworkers are rarely enough to stay in a position, especially when management degrades into a confusion, disarray, and unfair treatment.

WW can be a great place if you’re blessed to be on a great team with a capable manager. Unfortunately, my team was not one of those and this completely altered my impression of the company. I spent the greater part of my time at WeddingWire watching a confused and lost product team flounder through projects and ideas, with little to no overall direction or goals.

— For the most part the Exec team is wonderful and has a deep love for the company and the employees.

— The people. WeddingWire has some of the best people I’ve ever worked with and that dynamic is often enough to make you overlook the major problems within the company.

— Company events. The culture and events really do have some great elements and so much of this is on the fantastic people you work with.

Cons

— This is *not* a diverse or queer-friendly place to work. At its core, it’s a very white, privileged straight environment that has very few PoC and LGBTQ people. This is a company that espouses their diversity since they own GayWeddings.com, but it’s little more than a headline grab. Many LGBTQ people within the teams have kept their sexuality and or gender identity hidden, due to fear of harassment and discrimination. While many of the problematic people eventually left or were removed, their exits were not associated with their discriminatory conduct, so WeddingWire never had to acknowledge those actions.

— Managers are not held responsible for failures. If you’ve been at the company for a long time, you have immunity from actions. This includes everything from poor management skills to dated strategies to straight up discriminatory acts.

— People leave due to managers, more often than the company. This is more true here than any company I’ve worked for. Managers are chosen based on time with the company, which leaves unqualified “leaders” that create an environment of fear, gas lighting, and general confusion.

— The benefits are nice, but the compensation is well below market value. Expect it to be 20-30% below what you’d make elsewhere.

— Product development is exceptionally slow. Due to the large amounts of red tape, tech debt, and top-down only direction; launching a product or feature is a crawl. This also leads to very small outdated features being ‘added’ that are celebrated, even though they took excessive amounts of time and don’t catch the product up to modern standards. Everything is reactive and there’s very little strategy used to determine what is built. All of it seems to come from higher-ups, who can change their mind on a whim and erase months of work. The company pushes a ‘Fail fest’ concept, but it’s rarely used. Projects that should fail go on way too long, and the plug is pulled on others for seemingly no reason but an opinion.

— Company has recently instituted massive changes that have resulted in a large exodus of people from the company. It looks like these were done as a way to push attrition and raise profits, without having to announce a layoff.

Advice to Management

— You may espouse top level diversity and inclusion tagline at the executive level, but that does not filter down. The company is one of the least diverse companies in DC. There are very few PoC or Queer people on the teams. To give an example, DC’s population is about 10% LGBTQ. Tech Companies in the area tend to see more like 15% representation. WeddingWire is more in the 4% range, which is pretty telling for a company who claims ‘Inclusion’.

— Be willing to move on from management that isn’t working. Time and time again, Management and product direction have failed to hit marks or produce a solid vision, but still stand upon the decision-making tree.

— Quit just mimicking the competition. Just because they do it doesn’t mean that’s the direction you should go. Look to the future, don’t be so reactive.

4. "account executive review"

I worked at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

great culture

growth opportunties

work remotly from home

Cons

aggressive performance plan resulting in termination if not met in 3 months

Mar 7, 2018 – Manager, Culture and Experience

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback!

5. "Great start up atmosphere"

I worked at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

Fun corporate atmosphere with lots of millennial perks

Cons

depending on the department the employees are very young and can become unprofessional when it comes to personal lives.

Mar 6, 2018 – Manager, Culture and Experience

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback!

"Amazing first job, but could be better in ways"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at WeddingWire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hot catered breakfast every morning, catered lunches regularly, and decent giveaways for hitting numbers. Company events. Unlimited PTO was realistic if you hit numbers.

Cons

Very "high school". Unfortunately, the people that work there have not grown up from their high school or college days and tend to surround themselves with people that have not either. Clique, gossipy, and materialistic. It is easy to get caught up in it, but in retrospect, it was healthy to get away from the petty behavior and talking behind the back of team members.

There are more important things in life than drinking, parties, and material items. Pick up a hobby, invest in yourself and relationships that are actually healthy. It's time to grow up.

Advice to Management

Remember those who are skilled at their job. Reward them and try to encourage managers to push employees to value things besides clothes and partying.

Mar 8, 2018 – Senior Director, Sales

We appreciate the time you took to share your perspective. I am disappointed to hear that your experience on our team is as you describe it. It is very important to me and our leaders that our... More

"Fun while it lasts"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

- majority of coworkers are amazing and genuinely nice people
    - fun product to sell
    - flexibility to work from home sometimes
    - decent benefits
    - fun parties

Cons

- STRESS
    - "unlimited" PTO is not a benefit because the sales quotas are ridiculously high and people are afraid to take time off for fear of not hitting goal
    - Quotas keep increasing even though last year our quotas were lowered significantly because renewal assistance was taken away; so now what's the justification for the increase? (if the answer is price increase, that is no justification because we have to discount significantly to make sales which then forces us to make more sales to be successful)
    - meetings that are a waste of time
    - management that isn't clued in; I no longer feel comfortable having my manager call a vendor because they're not comfortable selling or how to position the questions correctly
    - instituting a performance plan just a short time prior to quota increase
    - having reps pay for staffing issues (quotas going up across the board when we are understaffed)

Advice to Management

Be a more people-positive culture. There are constant surveys going out to give feedback but it seems the only changes that are made are to keep more money flowing back to the company. The sales team is being bled dry because there is constant turnover both from people leaving and getting fired because they can't keep up with the unrealistic expectations. Instead of addressing the staffing issue, reps suffer from the team being understaffed by getting more quota piled on. WeddingWire puts all the risk on its people without having the guts to tell the board, their investors, or whoever else it concerns that numbers will be down until we build up the team.

In my first 3 months with the company, there was turn over of about 19 people, I believe. And then I stopped counting. I've never seen anything like it.

Everyone who works here knows this isn't a career and management seems fine with that.

My advice would be to value the employees that you have and keep your top performers rather than stressing them out so much by adding to their workload or forcing them out by giving them more than they can handle which leads to a downhill slope in performance.

Mar 5, 2018 – Senior Director, Sales

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback. As you referenced, you know first hand as a current employee that we collect feedback regularly from various channels, take everything we hear very... More

"Account Executive- Remote"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-unlimited PTO and they are very lenient with it as long as you are doing well
    -FANTASTIC management (no micro managing)
    -Great remote lifestyle: Working from home, fun incentives for remote employees, you feel like a team even if you are not in the office
    -You are rewarded for your work: through pay and pat on the backs
    -Fun incentives to keep you motivated (money and sales trips)
    -they fly you out to DC twice a year to see everyone
    -Continual Education
    -You get to meet and know the CEO, CMO, VPs
    -ALWAYS trying to better themselves through surveys and new programs
    -Work/life balance is fantastic!

Cons

Honestly, I cannot really think of any. Sometimes being remote can get a little lonely but they do their best to make you feel included in everything

Advice to Management

Keep striving to be the best!

Feb 15, 2018 – Senior Director, Sales

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive feedback on your experience working on our Sales Team. We agree with the reasons you pointed out on how we promote a positive and unique... More

9. "Truly wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WeddingWire is a wonderful place to work. The people are amazing - some of the brightest and hardest working people I've met, our product is truly the best in the industry and our Executive team is super transparent and down to earth. The culture is great - we have so many perks (unlimited PTO, catered breakfast, free lunches, team and company-wide events.) I'm grateful every day to be here!

Cons

Sales is not for everyone - and if you aren't willing to work hard and have tough skin, sales is probably not the best fit for you. WeddingWire's biggest problem is that it is so easy to fall in love with the culture and the people, but not everyone is able to put in the work needed every day. We've had some turnover and I think people that ended up not being a good fit for the sales team took it a lot harder than they would at a less amazing company/ work atmosphere.

Feb 15, 2018 – Senior Director, Sales

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this candid feedback with us! We appreciate you giving us the thumbs up on our product, transparent Executive team, and award-winning company culture... More

10. "Experience varies by department"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The reason that there are so many reviews here all over the rating spectrum is that your experience at WeddingWire will vary wildly depending on your department, your team, and your specific role. Some departments or teams are cliquey, others are not at all. Some teams may side-eye you for taking vacation time, but others will happily let you use your unlimited PTO to your heart's content. (Seriously!) There's so much variation, so unless a review is about your prospective department, it's pretty much meaningless.

Here are some pros:
    - Friendly and engaged executives
    - Management who believes in transparency and allows you to submit tough questions anonymously, which are later answered publicly (at least for the Product department)
    - Free breakfast every day
    - 2 free lunches per month
    - Smart coworkers who are also friendly and helpful
    - Casual, laid-back atmosphere
    - Environment that's welcoming of and celebrates new parents
    - Some people can work remotely

Cons

- The sales department seems to have a high-pressure environment and high turnover. Make sure you enjoy sales / cold-calling before accepting an offer for a sales role.
    - Some talented people have been leaving due to recent changes, and even though they'll be replaced, it still places a damper on morale.
    - The changes mentioned above, which some people disagree with.
    - The 401k match is tiny, the smallest I've ever experienced at a company.

Advice to Management

People leaving puts a damper on morale, no matter the reason behind it. Try to hire people who are in it for the long haul.

Jan 15, 2018 – VP Engineering

It means a lot that you’ve shared your feedback. As a current employee, you know (and pointed out) that we value all types of feedback and appreciate the opportunity to understand and adjust course... More