WeddingWire Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
WeddingWire CEO Timothy Chi
Timothy Chi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They allow me to have an amazing work/life balance and have given me many opportunities to grow (in 16 reviews)

• Really like the unlimited PTO and fun events hosted by the company (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The 401k match is tiny, the smallest I've ever experienced at a company (in 9 reviews)

• The sales department seems to have a high-pressure environment and high turnover (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Coming to Work Isn't a Chore"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WW is truly a great place to work. There are many reasons why, which I'll explain, but the two takeaways are 1) this an organization that genuinely cares about its people, and it shows on a daily basis. For example, one day recently, one of the VPS randomly offered to buy me breakfast from the cafe without any rhyme or reason. 2) My coworkers are, overall, enjoyable people to work with. They are generally very friendly, hard-working, and down to earth. Like many, I've made friends since working here:

-Flexibility. As long as you're doing your job, you can work from home and take as much time as you need for paid time off.
    -Culture. When I tell friends and family the events that WW does, they're pretty amazed. Casual dress, Taco Tuesday, catered breakfast every day, open bars, top notch Halloween and Holiday Parties, catered lunch at the end of the month, and on and on. For me, even having an office Kurig with a dozen flavors is not insignificant when you up the cost of coffee everyday.
    -Customer Success. It's encouraging working for an organization that also cares about its customers. I don't know of any other company that calls and emails its customers to ask how they are doing with their account, and most of WW's vendors appreciate that. People often think that our team listens to vendors yell at them all day, but that's not the case. Most of our interactions with vendors are either positive or neutral, and I think it shows by the daily stream of vendor love that is shared throughout the organization. It should also be said that Customer Success gets perks that are available to Sales even though it does't carry sales quota - monthly bonuses, sales trips, dinners, and meals on the company tab. The Director and VP of Customer Success are both highly competent and always seem to have the team's best interests in mind.
    -Executive Team/Senior Management. They know me and many others at WW by name. They appear to be in touch with the rest of the organization, and most recently, the top and HR are showing that they are clearly listening to their employees' main concerns, which is heartening and a contrast to other businesses who are completely indifferent.

Cons

There aren't many negatives, but no organization is perfect, especially one that has scaled to WW's size over a short period of time.
    -Career Growth. There are some legitimate concerns here, but with some very big caveats. The other reviews who make critiques about career growth fail to add important context. First, some of those who I've spoken with first hand who felt there weren't enough career opportunities for them 1) weren't top performers on our team or 2) hadn't been at WeddingWire long enough to be able to lay the ground work for a career path. The reality is that building a career is a long term process that doesn't happen overnight. By and large, hard work and talent is awarded with opportunities for promotion.
    -Junior Managers. While there are some excellent more junior managers on the third floor, there are also those whose skill set and judgment I think there is good reason to question.
    -Lastly, call me an apologist for WeddingWire all that you'd like, but some of criticisms I've seen or read reek of entitlement. For example, complaints about the free catered breakfast or lunch or a review that lamented that their team trip to a tropical island was "downgraded" to a major metropolitan city with great nightlife - give me a break. The reality is that - across the board, not just at WW -millennials aren't sticking around many companies for very long (hence, the high turnover criticism). Long story short: there is little loyalty but a big sense of entitlement. I say that as a millennial myself.

Advice to Management

For someone who has thoroughly enjoyed working at WeddingWire, I don't have much to add. It's been pretty apparent from when I first started working here, WW was being run by a highly talented group of people who had a clear and compelling vision of where they wanted to take the organization. That is still true today. Like I mentioned above, some of the concerns about career growth are legitimate, and I can see that through the employee engagement survey results it's something you're aware of (thank you for listening). The most important area for improvement is this: for those employees who have hit their goals and contributed meaningfully year after year, and have sown talent, loyalty, and dedication, there should be as many opportunities as possible to grow within WW.

Jun 21, 2017 – VP, Customer Experience

This review makes me smile for many reasons but above all I’m impressed with how you thoughtfully share your experiences with WeddingWire, our customers, and our team. It’s a rare pleasure to work... More

2. "Experience varies by department"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The reason that there are so many reviews here all over the rating spectrum is that your experience at WeddingWire will vary wildly depending on your department, your team, and your specific role. Some departments or teams are cliquey, others are not at all. Some teams may side-eye you for taking vacation time, but others will happily let you use your unlimited PTO to your heart's content. (Seriously!) There's so much variation, so unless a review is about your prospective department, it's pretty much meaningless.

Here are some pros:
    - Friendly and engaged executives
    - Management who believes in transparency and allows you to submit tough questions anonymously, which are later answered publicly (at least for the Product department)
    - Free breakfast every day
    - 2 free lunches per month
    - Smart coworkers who are also friendly and helpful
    - Casual, laid-back atmosphere
    - Environment that's welcoming of and celebrates new parents
    - Some people can work remotely

Cons

- The sales department seems to have a high-pressure environment and high turnover. Make sure you enjoy sales / cold-calling before accepting an offer for a sales role.
    - Some talented people have been leaving due to recent changes, and even though they'll be replaced, it still places a damper on morale.
    - The changes mentioned above, which some people disagree with.
    - The 401k match is tiny, the smallest I've ever experienced at a company.

Advice to Management

People leaving puts a damper on morale, no matter the reason behind it. Try to hire people who are in it for the long haul.

Jan 15, 2018 – VP Engineering

It means a lot that you’ve shared your feedback. As a current employee, you know (and pointed out) that we value all types of feedback and appreciate the opportunity to understand and adjust course... More

3. "Unlimited PTO and free breakfast"

Former Employee - Account Associate
    Former Employee - Account Associate

I worked at WeddingWire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free food, great benefits, start up environment, approachable execs

Cons

frat-house style workplace, poor middle management

Advice to Management

Have your sales dev team be WAY more honest throughout the recruiting process. I was given completely unrealistic expectations during my recruitment and it largely impacted my decision to leave after less than a year with the company.

"Coming to work, a full time chore"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Bethesda, MD

I worked at WeddingWire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Located within steps of the redline, friendly coworkers

Cons

Call center atmosphere masked with your typical tech company gloss. Insert ping pong table and see how cool and laid back we are.
    The truth is that for the sales team, none of this a reality - even the gloss and ping pong. The goals set are unrealistic.

Advice to Management

Tell people up front that this is a two year job, maximum. Be honest and forthright about how the company will increase your goals steadily, the more success you see, to make your exit swift and unquestionable.
    When you do this, drop the fake smiles and cheerleading routines.

5. "WeddingWire is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

First off I'v been here for years and have experienced all the growing pains with the company. But what former employees are not telling you is that this company is focused and always keeps employees informed. If you're not doing well, management and your team help you in numerous ways to get you back on track.

The perks alone make WeddingWire stand out from other companies!

I enjoy coming to work and for someone that doesn't feed into the whole frat thing, I always feel like a part of the team and the company.

On top of that, the entire HQ is being renovated!

Cons

-401k Match

-Better benefits including maternity leave

Advice to Management

Focus less on millennials when thinking of culture. Other than that, keep it up!

6. "Very casual"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bethesda, MD

I worked at WeddingWire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It’s a nice and relaxed environment that does Its best to keep employees happy. They have great perks and people that work there are s me of the nicest and most down to earth. Never saw myself in the wedding industry but i love it here.

Cons

The office gets really cold in winter... if the People team is reading this please turn up the heat on floor 3

Advice to Management

I like the way the floor managers work so closely with the team. They’re always there for questions and advice and the monthly one on ones are great at fostering skill development.

Dec 6, 2017 – Manager, Culture and Experience

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive feedback on your experience working at WeddingWire!

"Good for people that are trying to get used to the area, not so much otherwise"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chevy Chase, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chevy Chase, MD

I worked at WeddingWire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For good or for bad, people come to work for WeddingWire and it becomes not just a job; many people will stay afterwards, and have a beer or two with each other after the work day. This is due to a fairly youthful workforce that are not bothered with other major life commitments (family, children, ect...). Thus, I agree with many of the other sentiments about WeddingWire, if you become friends with the people you work with, it can be an extension of college for you.

There's free breakfast everyday (at least when I worked there), and free catered lunches at the end of every month. In addition, the market, while you do have to pay for the food, it's heavily subsidized. Finally, the company takes coffee very seriously, meaning there's espresso, coffee, and every variation of coffee you can imagine.

Following in the footsteps of other tech companies, the environment itself is very nice; the ambiance of the office is very well themed, and it never felt like an office building.

Company sponsored events are fun, and involve a lot of drinking if that falls into your definition of a good time

Cons

The best way I can describe WeddingWire is like this, just look at the ratings trend. What’s happening in the past couple of years is the growth that the company is experiencing; it’s growing and growing faster than it can really handle. This means that WeddingWire is consistently hiring people who don’t fit the original company culture into the company’s middle management. The ideas that the company comes up aren’t original, and the direction of the product team tends to be all over the place.

One of my main issues with the company is the passive aggressive nature of the people who work there. If your idea or work doesn’t fit, no one really tells you what’s going on. Instead, you keep going down a path of failure without course correction. When things are left on the chopping block, everyone gets together and starts assigning blame to others when finally people either quit or are fired. While I was there, there were two projects that teams spent over 6 months working on, only to have them abandoned.

If you aren’t friends with the people you work with, coming to work can engender a feeling of a social outcast . Meaning, if you’re not hanging out with your co-workers on the weekends or after work, you’re most likely not going to get far. If your someone that leans left, likes to drink, and enjoys the DC night life, you’ll do fine. On the other hand, if you’re the type that likes to have a life outside of work, I would strongly suggesting to look elsewhere.

Couple of things about the benefits:
    - The insurance plan is mediocre at best, they don’t cover enough of the premiums.
    - Pay is on the lower-end of DC Metro area averages. The DC metro area is crazy expensive, and most other companies pay the DC premium to their employees. WeddingWire will not. If you expect to live here, please be prepared for a roommate.
    - Unlimited PTO is a good idea, but I’ve never seen people take more than 2 weeks off. When I took a vacation, I was told that other people took offense about it

Advice to Management

Please decide what kind of company culture you want to have. You’re pulled between two directions where management is encouraging an college extended environment, but the whole international growth means growing up and handling more responsibilities.

WeddingWire sounded like such a good place to work, but after about a year, I dreaded coming to work everyday despite my ambition of trying to build something great.

Dec 20, 2017 – VP Engineering

I joined as VP of Engineering about eight months ago, so our paths may not have crossed. I'm happy to hear that WeddingWire was more than just a job for you and it sounds like you enjoyed our... More

8. "Fine place to start a career, not a great place to grow"

I worked at WeddingWire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The benefits are tailored to a young, recent college graduate crowd
    - Good work/life balance--rarely have to work beyond core hours
    - Great training for the sales team
    - Fun company events, lots of thought goes into creating a fun and engaging atmosphere for employees
    - Work with a lot of smart young people
    - C-Suite is has a solid vision and seems very aligned

Cons

- Pay is way below market rate
    - Extreme favoritism based on when you started
    - Very clique-y social scene
    - Limited opportunities for growth, raises, or promotion--these were extremely rare on the marketing team, and it wasn't clear how these decisions were made
    - Almost no face time with management, limited mentorship, few opportunities for professional development
    - Almost exclusively male executive team in a majority female industry
    - Culture and values seem pretty superficial and slapped together, as opposed to actual things people care about and strive to exhibit
    - Morale and motivation seem to vary widely between teams

Overall, not a bad place to start a career (especially if you're still figuring out what you want to do), but you'd be doing yourself a disservice by staying longer than a couple of years. You'll make more money and have a more rewarding professional experience elsewhere.

Jan 3, 2018 – Manager, Culture and Experience

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback. We take all feedback very seriously and do our best to ensure that all employees see their experience here as a rewarding, fulfilling opportunity to grow... More

"Still haunted by my experience at WW a year later"

Former Employee - "account Associate"
    Former Employee - "account Associate"

I worked at WeddingWire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Casual dress code
    -Free breakfast
    -Fun company events
    -Good company to have on a resume especially in the DMV, but only if you stay more than 6 months (which most people don't)

Cons

WW advertising does not work in most territories or for most vendors, and because of that the sales tactics used are manipulative at best and unethical at the worst. The highest performing reps will tell vendors they're idiots or their business will fail if they don't buy WW ad space, and managers encourage you to be mean (I'm sorry 'direct') to vendors on the phone. If you bring up concerns or uneasiness with that you'll be outcast from the company by getting reassigned worse territory, a higher quota, and lose your invites to company events. Of the 50+ vendors I sold while there, 3 chose to renew their listings; that should tell you how well the product works. Favoritism runs rampant in this organization and unskilled reps will receive great territories and low quotas if they're well liked. For me, things went downhill after a very popular colleague made a pass on me at a company event and I declined his advances. The next month, my quota nearly doubled, my territory became smaller, and my ASP went from $1400 to $900 (due to the lower listing value in an unpopular region). Within 6 months after I left, 80% of my friends and teammates had also left the organization, and while I was there multiple people quit every week. There is also forced turnover for the bottom performers each month. Even if you are at quota, you will need to stay until 7 PM (at the earliest), the last week of the month to help your team meet the unrealistic quota assignments determined by sales leadership/exec/finance. Twice a day, everyday, the performance summary of every sales rep is emailed out company wide. Other SAs and managers will openly make fun of you if you're lagging (though one sale can take you from the bottom to the top since the business is so transactional). Unlimited PTO exists as a technicality, since you're rarely approved to take time off. I was point blank lied to about compensation in my interview. I was told I'd easily make 80K+ my first year, and despite hitting quota it was closer to 45k which is truly pathetic for the DC area. Overall, the worst job experience of my life, and I would only recommend my worst enemies to work here.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to yourself, your sales team, and most importantly, your vendors. This product does not work and manipulative, unethical, and verbally abusive sales tactics are the only thing keeping WW alive.

Dec 5, 2017 – Director of Sales

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your experience with us last year. Based on your perspective, it’s clear that we didn’t meet your expectations. We are committed to ensuring all... More

10. "Account Executive"

I worked at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

Amazing company culture, awesome benefits package, wonderful communication within the organization, unlimited PTO - not enough positives to say about this company.

Cons

Disconnect if working remotely - the office life and culture is superb, but it was really hard to feel connected if working outside the office.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Dec 6, 2017 – Manager, Culture and Experience

Thanks for giving us the thumbs up on some of our favorite parts of WeddingWire! We were lucky to have you a part of the team!