Wedgewood Reviews | Glassdoor

Greg Geiser

1. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Wedgewood full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Flexibility
    - Great Experience
    - Ability to flip homes and challenge yourself.

Cons

- Lack of leadership
    - Lack of organization
    - Failure to be thought out

Advice to Management

Hire leadership. Hire people who want to lead, NOT manage. As you grow, you need to hire people who can help move the culture forward and lead the people who are being hired to execute. You don't need to manage these people, you need to lead them.

"Experience Professional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at Wedgewood full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AMAZING OFFICE Aesthetically. It appears to be a postive work environment, the CEO is a really nice person. I wish he really knew what type of leadership was going on in HR department and Accounting Department

Cons

HR has no leadership- whatsoever. Nobody will even read any of these reviews because the lack of exp that people have in "manager" positions in disgusting. 4 ppl in HR left in the last 4 months... that says alot bout a company. they would rather hire ppl with no experience than pay for experience or they would rather hire family members. It sad, really- the company has so much potential but is going down the tubes. Accounting has so much turnover-due to the managers. They dont want to change anything!

Advice to Management

Get management! PPL that actually have been managers in the past, that have worked for more than 1 company before..

"A great company, great company vision and a great place to build your career"

Former Employee - Senior Asset Manager in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Asset Manager in Manhattan Beach, CA

I worked at Wedgewood full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked with Wedgewood and Maxim Properties a little over five years, and leaving the company was one of the hardest career decisions I’ve made.

When I started, it was a much smaller company than it is today. As the organization expanded, I was encouraged to expand my potential, both professionally and personally. I proved myself to the company, and they in turn proved themselves to me by promoting me from transaction coordinator to senior asset manager.

Like all companies, they went through growing pains and unfortunately some people felt the effects of that. Realizing that internal changes were necessary, the owners addressed them swiftly and even implemented a system enabling employees to be more proactive in their professional advancement.

The company is very “human-centric”. The office environment is light and bright with lots of views to the outside, and there’s plenty of space set aside for collaboration and connecting with staff or clients. There are monthly Townhall meetings designed to keep all the employees up-to-date on the company's performance events and Company news. And the benefits are great—from vacation houses and wellness programs to company events that help you get involved in the community.

Some reviews I’ve read indicate a departure from the original company culture, but if so, it’s for the better. Although the company went through a growth spurt, CEO Greg Geiser & COO Dave Wehrly did a great job making sure they remained true to the company’s core values and vision. It’s rare in today's business climate to find owners of companies who truly care about their employees.

I thought I had found my forever career home, and if it weren’t for my entrepreneurial dream of opening a real estate brokerage (The Address), I would have stayed forever. Without the experiences, teaching, mentoring, personal growth and development I gained while working here, I might never have realized my own vision.

Troy Palmquist

Cons

See above, there are no cons about Wedgewood or Maxim Properties.

4. "Great place, needs better management though"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Wedgewood full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing workplace. I would *most likely* recommend working for Wedgwood to friends and strangers. Very appreciative of all the tools they provided to help me succeed.

Cons

Micromanagers infest like cockroaches. Some managers base property purchases on personal feelings toward other bidders at public auctions, and overspend accordingly.

Advice to Management

Higher management needs more control over who is in their "war room"
    Stop overpaying for properties and you may make a profit.

"Clueless controlling micromanager in charge of accounting groups"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at Wedgewood part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice building in a good area.

Cons

Poor management with no management skills in charge of accounting groups. Working long hours to get department on track rewarded by being let go without cause. Poor management dose not like people that can manage and once department is running smothly you are shown the door.

Advice to Management

The one you think is working so hard is really the reason for the high turnover in the accounting groups. You will never be able to keep quality people or straighten out the accounting groups as long as poor management is in charge. Remove the root cause and Wedgewood would be a great place to work including accounting groups.

"Accountant"

Former Employee - Accountant in Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at Wedgewood full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and the upper upper management is great, not the accounting

Cons

-Horrible accounting management
    -Zero work-life balance
    -No training/help offered
    -Lack of ownership
    -Routinely boring
    -More data-entry work than accounting
    -Management was lost- always kept changing rules and had multiple reclassing entries
    -Books never closed on time, sometimes took three months to close a month due to numerous errors by management that always needed to be fixed
    -felt like you worked at a sweat-shop
    -high turnover of employees- at least more than 1 person quit every month
    -zero growth

Advice to Management

Please respect your employees and treat them nice. Good pay, bonus, work-life balance goes a long way

"Company in disarray"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Wedgewood full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice location and office is nicely decorated

Cons

Company seems to be disjointed without much direction. Some groups are working 11 hour days while other group is working 8 hour days. High turnover lately, especially in accounting group. There is very little guidance. You are required to figure things on your own.

Advice to Management

Try to be better organized and not be so last minute with everything. Give time to prepare and plan.

"Property Manager Review"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Wedgewood full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A good friend of mine was working here and notice I was unsatisfied with my job. He referred me to Wedgewood with great praise and helped me become noticed by their management team. Great company culture! The people here are always helpful and supportive. This company boasts a wealth of real estate knowledge and have been in the Vegas market for 10+ years! Company car! You are always busy and end your days feeling accomplished. Very resourceful! Wedgewood provides you with the tools to succeed and the training to guide you along the way. Freedom to choose who you work with! Ability to work remote and in the field! Great benefits! Potential for upward mobility within the company! AMAZING VACATION HOMES!!!

Cons

The office is located on a high traffic street. The benefits for married employees is a little expensive, but decent for single employees.

Advice to Management

You guys have treated me like family! I wake up every morning excited to start the day and to speak with you all about my projects. You all give me great insight on things that I am unclear about and provide me solutions to my problems. Keep it up! Hope to be with you all for years to come!

"Growing too fast"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Wedgewood full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vacation Homes are a nice perk, but now they started to charge $95 per stay which is still fairly low

Cons

Overworked, long hours and minimal vacation days. The firm is growing too fast without focusing on developing a strong infrastructure to support the growth. Staff is overworked and barely staying afloat. Morale has been quickly dwindling. Partners are always looking to grow without investing in software and staff to support the growth. Also, some staff start with one week vacation. Make sure to negotiate for two week vacation because they will try and low ball you. Vacation days is low compared to industry average.

Advice to Management

Invest in building a strong infrastructure by investing in software and more staff to help facilitate and support the quick growth plans. Weak infrastructure with a heavy load will eventually collapse.

10. "Great for internships"

Former Employee - Intern in Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at Wedgewood part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Many opportunities to touch different aspects of business
    - Worked with upper level management out the door
    - Lots of independence on projects, but with periodic check-ins to make sure deadlines are met
    - Great starter corporate finance internship with opportunities for more in depth analysis

Cons

- Work can get repetitive
    - Larger firm where not everyone knows each other, so somewhat isolating