Cover image for Wegmans Food Markets
Best Places to Work 2022

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Wegmans Food Markets Employee Reviews about "favoritism"

Updated Nov 27, 2022

Wegmans Food Markets President and CEO  Colleen Wegman
Colleen Wegman
1,497 Ratings

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "the health benifets are good and if u work in the wharehouse the pay is very good . . .(in 341 reviews)
  • "the people are great and friendly(in 313 reviews)
  • "Great benefits for employees and family!(in 302 reviews)
  • "Hours are flexible and are usually able to accommodate student schedules (high school and college).(in 219 reviews)
  • "Flexible schedule and the ability to work as a family(in 217 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Wegmans Food Markets and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "favoritism"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Former Employee
    Featured Review

Great people/environment

Sep 28, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

You meet a lot of friendly and kind people which made doing my job easy. Management is great in terms of helping you with career advancement.

Cons

Downsides, it’s a really fast-paced environment, at times, there were no downtime

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Opportunities

Nov 27, 2022 - Department Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ensure that employees practice the company values. Diversity

Cons

Corporate is located in upstate New York

3. Join the Wegmans Food Markets team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not the best experience

Nov 21, 2022 - Deli Clerk in Greece, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is a Scholarship opportunity offered to college students and $0.25 raise every 6 months.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are a lot of cons from my years of experience working for Wegmans, at least in the Deli. My first year working in the deli was not bad, but then as people come and go, you get different co-workers so often. My second to third year working there was really horrible. The work culture was toxic and not supportive. The job was mentally and physically draining, the management showed favoritism, and gave hours to those who they liked most. The drama got so out of hand that I would have anxiety attacks and go home crying every time I got out of work. Looking back 2 years ago, I should've left a lot earlier than I did. I work in a much healthier work environment now with better benefits and I wish I didn't put myself through what I did for 3 1/2 years just to maintain my scholarship through Wegmans. Corporate might be a lot different to work for, but working in the grocery store aspect, it is not worth it and very unhealthy.

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Wegmans is an okay place for a first job..

Nov 26, 2022 - Stocker
    Business Outlook

Pros

The raises are nice, two 50¢ raises every year. Some coworkers are AWESOME people, and the night managers are nice to talk with.

Cons

This store has a really hard time firing ppl who make my job, and my coworkers, harder. They know about what is happening, yet doesn’t retrain, watch them more, or move them. This manager also flirts with the teenagers and it’s very clear for everyone that it’s happening. These people have the atmosphere toxic and not really great to work in. When they bring out like 1 runner during a 4 hour shift is annoying. You have to pick up their slack.

6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good place to start/build a career

Nov 16, 2022 - Perishable Team Leader in Worcester, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

People, benefits, atmosphere, continuous improvement, goes above “the book” with cleanliness, training, food quality and many more standards.

Cons

Huge disconnect between DM’s and above, to the folks in the stores. Can feel almost cult like at times and once you’re out, you’re out. They let hardly no one return.

7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great company, so-so traoning

Sep 11, 2022 - Team Leader in Malvern, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company truly does have great benefits and coworkers were all great. Time and a half on sundays, and the medical coverage is very good.

Cons

HR seems to not be trained enough so they are spending more time investigating their own staff members in leadership roles for ridiculous things than they are training new employees, so it just causes a ouroboros of sorts that feeds itself more problems. There is also absolutely no form of check or balance in accountability for management to know whether they do their jobs or not, so that is why wegmans as a whole is seen as a preppy cliquey place because you have to be in the clique to be someone asked about someone or believed about someone. Other companies do have these forms of accounability in place, so wegmans is truly behind on this and does give far too much trust too the management's "clique" More often than not, I was put on a team where I ended up doing all work. All rescheduling, all holiday shifts, all reviews for even the other party, other parties would take far too much vacation and would be able to walk around and talk instead of work.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company to work for

Nov 27, 2022 - Overnight Grocery Stocker in Buffalo, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Wegmans truly care about their employees. You earn pay increases often, flexibility, great coworkers/management. I would highly recommend working here whether that be PT or FT.

Cons

I don't have any cons.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Be prepared to work non-stop

Sep 6, 2022 - RTC Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You will get time off (doctor’s appointments, personal/family events) if you notify your manager 3 weeks ahead of time After 3 months of employment you will receive a paid vacation. Plus you can ask for consecutive days off but these days will be unpaid I received a pay raise after 4 months of employment You can transfer to a different department after 6 months of solid employment. Family health insurance is available after 90 days of employment - currently $85 a week.

Cons

You are the only full timer in your selected department. If you choose the RTC meat/seafood position you are the only one in the entire store. A RTC meat preparer workload is endless - freshly cut steaks daily, hamburgers, kabobs and 25 other ready-to-cook entrees. If your lucky. You will have a part-timer in your department. But the part-timer usually works 20 hours a week. You will work 6, 7 and 8 days in a row if you are a full timer. Split between 2 weeks of course. If you are a Full Timer you will work weekends and holidays. High turnover rate in store - employees have resigned or quit after 4 months.

3 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0

Great environment

Nov 27, 2022 - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Business Outlook

Pros

Positive and welcoming environment with friendly coworkers and competent management

Cons

Few breaks and monotone work

11. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Place

Nov 25, 2022 - Cashier
    Business Outlook

Pros

Extremely flexible hours, helped a lot with PA school

Cons

Kinda cliquey, management definitely has favorites

Viewing 1 - 10 of 108 Reviews