Weidner Apartment Homes Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
W. Dean Weidner

Pros
  • Great training program to go straight into management (in 8 reviews)

• They offer education reimbursement along with a unique Manager in Training program to those new to the industry (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Some mentors/community directors are not as good at training employees as others (in 7 reviews)

• You don't get any vacation time until you hit your 6 month mark, low compensation compared to a lot of other property management companies (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work For"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Weidner Apartment Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a very challenging field, but you learn a lot about the industry. The management team definitely comes to the rescue if need be.

Cons

Nothing bad to say about company.

Apr 11, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We have an open door policy and always appreciate hearing from our Associates. -Marie Virgilio, VP of Recruiting

2. "Better than any other management company I have worked for"

Current Employee - Community Director in Abilene, TX
    Current Employee - Community Director in Abilene, TX

I have been working at Weidner Apartment Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team based. Soul owner. Great bonuses for the entire team. Gives back to the community one day a year. Has one day for an award ceremony and one day for a game day!

Cons

More corporate than it has been in the past. LRO is more aggressive than it needs to be. Harder to conquer renewals

Advice to Management

Get back to the management style with out LRO

"Manager in Training"

Current Employee - Manager In Training in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Manager In Training in Corona, CA

I have been working at Weidner Apartment Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Company overall, 401k is great and you learn so much about the day to day in property manangement. They have a great training program and great people to work with. The 30% discount on rent you can't beat.

Cons

None at this time. I actually really like it here.

Advice to Management

The Managment is great. Like any job or anywhere you visit everyone is going to have a different experience my boss is great and very sweet. I actually work harder to make sure I don't let her down.

Apr 5, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for the positive feedback! It is associates like you that make Weidner a great place to work! -Cynthia Schwartz, Area Director

5. "Service technician"

Former Employee - Service Technician in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Weidner Apartment Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always busy, good benefits, great family company, properties look after each other, 30% discount for living at a Weidner property. Lots of properties choose from not only Washington but all over the country and some in Canada eh... lots of educational opportunities

Cons

Short staffed most of the time, very little control over pricing of apartments, there is only a certain amount of people that are allowed to live with the discount at each Weidner property 3-5% of the total units. Pay is ok not the best but it could be better. There is also a annual evaluation to witch if you are on the good side of your team you'll get a 3% raise. It also feels like it's corporate first property where the property directer (CD) makes 45K and the ADs make close to 80K starting and if you are a service technician starting is 14 (Depending on location) and goes up by 3% if you meet standards

"Be aware"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Corona, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Corona, CA

I worked at Weidner Apartment Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People I've built friendships with, discounted rent for employees, I have no more pros just fulfilling word count minimum to complete review.

Cons

1. They do not pay overtime, they expect you to work extra hours and they give you 3 "free" hours over the weekend to compensate for overtime. I was told by my manager that Mr. Weidner, the owner, reached out to the area director and asked her why overtime was being paid. So they stopped paying. In California labor laws are strict, they don't care.

2. I was asked to do unlawful things that I was uncomfortable doing. (I refused to do them)

3. There are no commissions for leases.

4. It's a very "clicky" environment, gossip is spread constantly.

5. It's a slumlord type atmosphere, they refuse to clean properties and residents are forced to live in filth.

6. If you stand up for what is right you will be pushed out.

*based on the property I worked

Advice to Management

Acquire new management

Oct 20, 2016

Weidner places a high value on work life balance for all associates and as a company Weidner works hard to ensure all properties are appropriately staffed so that associates don’t have to work ... More

"Leasing specialist"

Former Employee - Leasing Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Leasing Agent in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Wish I had any to post. Weidner acquired the community I had been working for, and offered me a position. Sorry to say I accepted.

Cons

Absolutely the most unethical company I have ever worked for. Overtime is not allowed, but in order to offer a decent level of customer service you need to stay late. I was continuously told to fake my punches and was not allowed time off instead. There is no real time management system.Their paper work protocols are very organized, but take so long that they lose sight of the residents. Checklists rule their world. And buyer beware. If you sign a 6 month lease you are locked in to that money. Try asking for a 12 month renewal - the money stays the same, or even more! Try explaining that to residents. Overall, an experience that just leaves a nasty taste.

Advice to Management

Stop being so smug, and stop stealing your employees time. You run a large company. I wonder if Dean Weidner is aware how unethical it is? He seemed so nice when I met him. I don't have the time or energy to report your poor, and maybe even illegal practices. I just hope someone does.

"MIT"

Former Employee - Property Management in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Property Management in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Weidner Apartment Homes (More than a year)

Pros

The number one best thing is the 30% discount on rent for associates at Weidner owned properties. That is great for expensive rental markets and recent grads.

Cons

There is a pervasive "rah-rah" culture drilled into you from the start of your training to the company sponsored events and everywhere in-between. The owner is touted as a demigod. A savvy businessman, he is indeed, though.

The feel-good energy runs out quickly when you realize your property is understaffed (you work on salary, though so they ask you to "be flexible" about your long hours), the budget and revenue goals are preposterous (we need to increase rents by an average of 7% next year - every budget meeting) and the only people who are likely truly happy are the training staff at HQ and the upper-level managers. (Who don't understand we their team lacks the motivation to earn them thousands of dollars in bonuses when the team gets squat...)

Advice to Management

Add leasing and performance bonuses to the on-site staff. Tone down the rhetoric and CEO-worship. And please, be more realistic about the annual budgets.

Jul 6, 2016 – MIT Program Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. It is through transparency of both good and poor feedback that we are able to continually improve as a company. At Weidner, we are very proud of the ... More

9. "Amazing Company with Great Values"

Current Employee - Community Director in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Community Director in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Weidner Apartment Homes full-time

Pros

I love that I work for a company that really values their people and treats everyone like family. I have been extremely lucky to have an amazing area director who is always there when needed. There is plenty room for growth and the on going training is great. They really let you make intelligent risks and support your decisions. The biggest pro is the emphasis on that we are a team!

Cons

None at the moment. I have been really lucky!

"Be careful"

Former Employee - Service Manager in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Eagan, MN

I worked at Weidner Apartment Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They paid to be on call

Cons

If they take over your property, don't take the job! They are one of those companies that will pay you more to take the job but they will find many reasons to fire you once they got the information from you they need.
    Also, they don't pay leasing agents well and they don't give you commissions. I worked for them for just shy of 6 months (which 6 months is their probation period) and the fired me 3 days short of it. I've been told by numerous contractors that work with me that they run their properties down to the ground and they have no cares about their employees. My advice is to find a new employer or stay with your current employer! They will only use you and spit you out any chance they can get. They claim in their mission statement that they will listen and care about their employees, but that is 100% false!!!

Advice to Management

Either hire management that cares about your employees or be prepared to fail.

"Property Manager"

Former Employee - Property Management in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Property Management in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Weidner Apartment Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, people. benefits, and ceo is a nice guy,

Cons

Communication is bad, Management, short staff all around, not allowed to take vacation when you ask, and high turnaround.

Advice to Management

Better Training