Weight Watchers Reviews | Glassdoor

Weight Watchers President and CEO Mindy Grossman
Mindy Grossman
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Helping people to lose weight and change people's lives for the better (in 65 reviews)

• You can enjoy your own healthy personal development while helping others (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Been there over 20 years Seen a lot of changes over the years and sorry to say not all for the better, Pay now is just above minimum wage (in 47 reviews)

• Not enough hours for full time unless a lot of travel is done (in 26 reviews)

1. "Good mission but lacking internal culture"

I have been working at Weight Watchers full-time

Pros

Helping members reach their goals
    Nice office
    Summer Fridays

Cons

Lack of guidance, mentoring, and care for the employee
    Managers are insecure and ineffective
    Silos between departments
    Nepotism and favoritism - hiring family members and/or friends
    Lack of any healthy dissenting opinions

"Treat your front line employees better"

Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in East Lansing, MI

I worked at Weight Watchers part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The WW program is an excellent weight loss program, the members are wonderful to work with and the other employees were great and a lot of fun

Cons

The pay is abysmal, even if you are not doing it for the money it is not worth your time and until they have the receptionist make the same as a leader they will always have trouble filling positions, especially in the rural areas. Another con is the lack of leadership from the TMs , the newest one had never even done the WW program nor had ever lead a meeting of any kind, but wanted us to believe she was the know it all instead of listening to the people who actually do the job. The training is not good as their IT is very antiquated and difficult to maneuver for a small part time job...

Advice to Management

Hire people from your field force to be a TM, they have actually done the jobs they are supposed to be leading. Improve your IT and training it shouldn't be so difficult to stay up to date....treat your front line employees better they are your eyes and ears to the members....

3. "Don't Work Here"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Leawood, KS
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Leawood, KS

I worked at Weight Watchers as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

People in the non management positions are extraordinary people who put a lot of work n to a company that doesn't recognize the contributions that they make to the company.

Cons

The corporate company does not care about customer retention based on the way they treat their call center employees. Corporate would not hire a full time on sited desktop support for their call center. The corporate people in NY expect a technician with excellent skills and knowledge and to stay with the company on a contract basis. with no change in the contract from year to year and no bonuses and no holiday pay or overtime pay.

"Please run from this place! This place is a career killer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Weight Watchers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Fruit, Free Membership to cultish reeducation class, coupons for weight watcher products, otherwise nothing else, not even summer fridays.

Cons

I can't seem to find anyone that stays for this job or anyone. My manager was a piece of work. What a Horrible Company and Horrible Manager. He ruined several peoples careers with similar position, promising the moon and stars and then giving the shaft while playing bait and switch. I hope you get the same that you give. Please do your self a favor, and run. the place still give out old 14-15 inch monitors and 4 year old iPhones not to mention the old laptop computers they give out. If you want to work for a place that is stuck in 1992 that this is the place for you. the only benefit you get is coupons off products and a free membership to their program, you even have to pay extra monthly surcharge for spouses on medical care. Otherwise find a job in real company not one that floating just between failure and being obsolescence.

Advice to Management

I wont mention him by name but my manager made my experience horrible.
    It's jaded my trust in people. for being a Senior Manager he never managed anyone but him self. Just look at the track record, if a manager keeps firing and rehiring the same role for 3 years in a row, cant be the employee's fault. just an indecisive manager.

"Leader"

Current Employee - Leader, 24/7 Chat
    Current Employee - Leader, 24/7 Chat

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helping members, work from home

Cons

Insulting low pay for increasing high expectations on the level of having a psychoanalyst degree. Leaders are no longer required to be at goal weight which is a very bad image to members.

Advice to Management

Pay the front line better to avoid high turnover

6. "Receptionist"

Current Employee - Weight Watchers Receptionist in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Weight Watchers Receptionist in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours meet and help great members and co-workers

Cons

Horrible pay not full time bad organization and no real leadership

Advice to Management

Be more in touch with the leaders and receptionist as we know the members and what they ent and expect better pay

"Receptionist"

I worked at Weight Watchers part-time

Pros

Fun environment, nice co-workers, get to listen to meetings, keeps you focused on your own weight loss.

Cons

Terrible pay, lack of organization, high turnover, pressure to stay at goal weight and all thoughts of you as a WW "member" with weight loss needs ends.

Advice to Management

Don't recruit people not yet at goal then pressure them with monthly weigh-ins.

"401k match is only for benefitted employees and since you work so few meetings it becomes a joke"

Pros

Yours members success is what keeps you rewarded

Cons

Low pay, to few meeting opportunities

Advice to Management

Value your long term employees who know what they are doing and truly care about weight watchers success

"Training Director"

I worked at Weight Watchers full-time

Pros

Great field staff to work with. The very best program to lose weight and promote.

Cons

The main office has many issues regarding the nepotism that is prevalent. Tasks and paperwork are highly valued. Talent is not rewarded. The sad truth is that the culture is so bad in the main office that it has trickled down to the beautifully talented field staff. This has hurt the business, but most especially the members of Weight Watchers. It used to be a wonderful, enriching place to work!

Advice to Management

Remember that your revenue comes from members. The face of WW is not YOU- the office staff. YOU are the support for those who are actually out there being the face to the members. Quit putting all your resources to the office and treat the field staff as the stars. They are what the business is all about!

"Please Run Away, Don't Come Here if you want to advance your career! Company is career destroyer."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Weight Watchers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Nice Office, Decent Workspaces and Kitchen with Free Fruit and Starbucks Coffee
    Lots of places to take lunch in the office except for that not much else.

Cons

Let's start with the company it self, Benefits that are mediocre at best.
    Company charges a $25 monthly fee to add a spouse to your health plan even though you pay for Family plan is ridiculous, Health Coverage has very high deductible and even has high co pays. This is supposed to be a health and wellness company, you would think they would offer there employees decent or competitive health plans. Poor 401k matching. Lots of brainwashing going on behind the scenes, was looked down upon when I was asked to attend weight loss meetings and use my membership in the plan once a week.
    Sorry, don't have weight issues, shouldn't be forced to attend meetings that don't really apply to myself.
    Systems are very antiquated, Management seems to be to confused every day in which direction they are going. lots of indecisiveness. My position and responsibilities changed at least 3 times from my interview to hire and 3 months in very disappointed, left a company that I was sucessful at for 4 years to dive into this sea of sharks and stupidity.

Speaking in regards to my direct manager, since my first day I started the lack of communication from my him and management was highly disturbing. His delays with my on boarding were disgraceful. It showed the lack of effort on his part.

Between the 3 weeks it took get me a company cell phone and desk phone.
    A full week just to get a laptop and a working email address were some of the slowest most disorganized new hire processes I have ever seen working in the industry.
    I spent a week on my own laptop not having any access to any systems.
    Also, seeing other members starting after me that received there equipment and email on the same or next day of starting, I could see that this was all coming from my manager's lack of attention. He seemed to be more interested in speaking about beer brewing techniques and not on boarding a new hire, While he seems to be a nice person, his disconnect between managing people is mediocre at best.. Very Isolative and brass.

Advice to Management

A manager needs to do his part and dress the part as well.
    Coming in with dirty khaki pants and new balance sneakers doesn't really give the appearance of a professional who's on his game plus asking me to message him on AOL Instant Message since that he uses communicate with staff is laughable.
    It shows that he's outdated and instead of being ahead of the curve he's behind it.

On the other hand, I made sure to be dressed professionally on daily basis and a person who supposedly has a big role in the Organization he should dress accordingly.

The reason I write this is I don't want this to happen to another person.