Weis Markets Reviews | Glassdoor

Weis Markets Reviews

Updated April 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Not really good benefits for part time workers (in 26 reviews)

• You won't be full time unless you are a manager (in 25 reviews)

1. "Assistant Grocery Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Weis Markets (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet New People, Management, New Experience Daily

Cons

Schedule,Pay, No Home Life, Backroom CGO counts

"Just Okay."

Former Employee - Cashier in Bellefonte, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Bellefonte, PA

I worked at Weis Markets (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people, flexible hours, relatively easy job. They will work with your schedule, especially if you are in high school. Make a dollar more per hour on Sundays.

Cons

The pay was terrible, I worked there for over two years and was barely making above minimum wage. Higher management does not appreciate the lower employees. Good employees get the same recognition as bad employees and if you want to move up you have to ask multiple times. Unpredictable hours. 12 hours one week and 30 hours the next. Didn't get the schedule until sometimes the day before which was very inconvenient

Advice to Management

Appreciate the cashiers, they deal with a lot. Pay employees more so the turnover rate is lower, IT WILL SAVE YOU MONEY IN THE LONG RUN. Offer a better employee discount.

3. "Department manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunbury, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunbury, PA

I have been working at Weis Markets full-time

Pros

Many of the people who work as full time staff are good people.

Cons

Finding ways to fire or make good hard working people quit is no way to run a business.

Advice to Management

Make work and family balance a much bigger concern

"Great First Job"

Current Employee - Front End Manager in Sunbury, PA
    Current Employee - Front End Manager in Sunbury, PA

I have been working at Weis Markets full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Pay starts off higher than minimum wage.
    - FT Benefits are pretty competitive, PT Benefits have a lot of room for improvement
    - Requests for time off need to be in three weeks in advance which doesn't always help with last minute appts and things, but it is nice having a schedule two weeks in advance so you can make plans around when you work. There is usually a good, reliable employee or two that can help cover/switch shifts with you when those unexpected things pop up.

Cons

- Used to be a great place to work, but changes in upper management over the past several years have taken it on an out-of-control roller coaster ride and nobody seems to be able to pull the breaks.
    - For a company that preaches that they value their employees and that there is plenty of opportunities for advancement, it doesn't seem to be able to deliver on that promise. I know of Store Managers being brought in off the streets when there are more than enough capable Assistant Managers who could have taken on the same role and would have done the job x 1,000 times better. These same store managers are being brought in off the streets with better pay and benefits (mostly vacation time) than store managers who have been with the company 15+ years.
    - The company is extremely top heavy in management. There seems to be a Vice President for everything under the sun. Not surprisingly, most of them seem to have forgotten what it was like to be in the average workers' shoes.
    - This supermarket is far lacking in technological advancements. Changes have been made for the better, but we are still light-years behind.

Advice to Management

Better communication from the top to the bottom. Work on being the supermarket leader that all other supermarkets strive to be instead of begging, borrowing, and stealing from others and trying to present the ideas as your own. Clearly state your mission and values AND ABIDE BY THEM! Lastly, take care of the associates who take care of you. Some rare gems can be found in each store, and instead of recognizing their value you take advantage of them until they have no other alternative but to seek out another employer who will value them.

6. "Poor management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ranson, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ranson, WV

I worked at Weis Markets part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly co workers customers are regulars so you get to know them. Will work with you schedule well. Decent starting job.

Cons

Management is horrible. Don't plan to move up in company unless you want you want to be the managers puppy dog

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Department Leader in Dallas, PA
    Former Employee - Department Leader in Dallas, PA

I worked at Weis Markets full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Steady pay. Benefits available if you beg, bug, and harass for about a year. Its dry, fairly warm and clean

Cons

They are a ship without a rudder. The CEO is floundering. Management cares more about their job security that the company as a whole. Communication is nonexistent. It is chaos.

Advice to Management

Forget about your dreams of advancement in the company. There are twenty guys more qualified than you, and they wont get it either. Take the money they give you while they are giving it to you and breath a sigh of relief when it's your turn to walk out the doors.

8. "Not worth the pay or treatment"

Current Employee - Cashier in Franklin, NJ
    Current Employee - Cashier in Franklin, NJ

I have been working at Weis Markets part-time

Pros

Minors get an hour lunch break and can leave their shift early to clock out on time... If you're over 18, forget it. They treat you like dogs

Cons

Teenage coworkers leave their lanes to "help each other bag" and make everyone else pick up their inconvenient slack, need to request 3 weeks in advance to take a day off, understaffed and paid less than other competing supermarkets, management doesn't appreciate good hard work, won't let you transfer to other departments bc it's so understaffed, worked four hours straight bc they forgot my lunch break and then they didn't give me my 10 minute break, shoprite gets a 5 minute longer break + higher wage + shorter notice needed to take off + much higher holiday pay

Advice to Management

none you're doing the best you can and its not enough

9. "Deli Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Deli Associate in Ephrata, PA
    Current Employee - Deli Associate in Ephrata, PA

I have been working at Weis Markets (Less than a year)

Pros

-High pay to start out with ($9.00/hour)

Cons

-I was left alone on my very first day, causing me to be yelled at by customers since I had no idea what I was doing
    -Within the second week of working, was scheduled to work alone for the last 2 hours of every night to close without ever being taught how to close
    -No breaks whatsoever

Advice to Management

The deli manager does not give a crap about any of his employees. Even attempting to request off is a joke. Will schedule others for 12-hour shifts and only schedule himself for a 2-hour shift.

10. "Bad Experience"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Hazleton, PA
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Hazleton, PA

I have been working at Weis Markets part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Starting pay is $9/hour
    Store is very clean and well kept
    Very flexible hours for part time associates

Cons

Tend to be treated like a robot
    Management does not particularly care for your needs

11. "Deli Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Deli Associate in Norristown, PA
    Former Employee - Deli Associate in Norristown, PA

I worked at Weis Markets (More than a year)

Pros

*Nice environment
    *Friendly Management
    *Good selection of food
    *Focus on quality
    *Training for different departments to lower turnover rate and quickly fill gaps when people quit

Cons

*Can be more organized
    *The instructional pictures can be upgraded in quality from the black and white photos that look like they were taken out of the printer and, while wet, viciously smeared. They have not taken the time to upgrade these, at least at my store, for decades.

Advice to Management

Department managers should ensure that the person training the new people has the ability and passionate willingness to train the new people.