KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Weitz & Luxenberg

Is this your company?

Weitz & Luxenberg

Add a Review

Weitz & Luxenberg Employee Reviews about "w l"

Updated Oct 22, 2020

Found 12 of over 187 reviews

2.8
Weitz & Luxenberg President Perry Weitz (no image)
Perry Weitz
Pros
  • "In the past couple of months W&L has taught me so much(in 12 reviews)

• "There are colleagues and certain upper management that are difficult to work with but doesn't every work environment have certain employees like this(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It's much cheaper to just rehire temps than actually invest in legal assistants and paralegals(in 13 reviews)

• "not a lot of direction, normal bad qualities of a personal injury firm, high turnover, low starting pay(in 10 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "w l"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Making a difference in the world

Jun 30, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve had the pleasure of working at Weitz & Luxenberg for almost 7 years now. While I’ve worked with many different colleagues, the common underlying factor is that with very few exceptions, everyone has been easy to work with and possessed professional attitudes. As far as management goes, the true test is not when things are going smoothly, but rather when crisis hits. As all law firms are dealing with the unprecedented and the unimaginable, W&L has stood by me through the COVID crisis and that means everything. We have a higher purpose for what we do here, and when you are backed up when it counts, that is especially meaningful.

Cons

Sometimes the lawyers don't get back to me fast enough because they are too busy with clients.

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

I worked there for years, trust me. Stay away.

Feb 17, 2020 - Litigation Paralegal in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are two good things about working at W&L in NY. 1. The location is amazing. 2. The people - somehow this firm recruits the best people. My bosses were incredible and my coworkers were all amazing. This makes it a really fun place to work. If you have a good boss and team, working here is manageable.

Cons

For a law firm, they sure don't believe in justice and fairness when it comes to their employees. If you are looking for a place full of sexual harassment, an upper management that frankly doesn't care about employees well being whatsoever, and if you enjoy thinking to yourself "this just makes no sense" all the time at work, then this is the place for you! The things that go on there are truly mind boggling. I worked there for over 5 years and this is the consensus amongst pretty much all the staff that work there. They pay the bare minimum, they don't match anything for 401k, and they'll do anything in their power to keep you from getting overtime - but you better still get all your work done! The amount of sexual harassment that goes on that gets reported and then disregarded, with the harassers being protected - it's insane it still happens. A couple of my friends were full on groped at a work function, they reported it right away and HR pretty much told them to not talk about it ever again, and the guy barely got a slap on the wrist - because he's an attorney and he makes them money. That's all they care about.

6 people found this review helpful
    3. 3.0

Good experience, low pay

Oct 22, 2020 - Legal Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

W&L offers a solid opportunity for young professionals in the legal field to gain exposure to drafting legal documents and communicating with clients. Management was very receptive to employee struggles and were good about providing suggestions/advice.

Cons

The pay is very low. For the amount of work required from the team, the firm hardly pays enough for anyone to pay their bills comfortably.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Meaningful Mission

Oct 16, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The work W&L does has a huge impact for our clients. The employees of the firm work extremely hard every day for the clients & their families. I have seen some positive changes in the work environment that show the firm wants to move in a progressive direction.

Cons

Need more appreciation events, need more acknowledgement of the time/effort employees put into their work, My team is very dedicated to the firm, I have witnessed some of my co-workers cancel planned vacations when tight unexpected deadlines come up without hesitation. Pleases and thank you's go a long way.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

A firm that teaches the perfect work ethic for aspiring attorneys

Dec 22, 2016 - Trial Paralegal in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Weitz & Luxenberg has tremendously helped me establish the perfect work ethic for entering law school. Prior to my employment at W&L, I hated work, I despised getting up in the morning, and was extremely lazy. However, after just a few short weeks, the enviornment I was surrounded by demanded my full attention to detail. Our clients demanded my full attention to detail. They deserved it. The environment is 8 floors worth of staff members and attorneys willing to go the extra mile and then some in order to provide the best available service for their clients who are in desperate need help. Every employee at W&L, from the security to Mr. Perry Weitz and Mr. Arthur Luxenberg themselves truly care about every single client's needs. That kind of surrounding is infectious. I soon was waking up early in the morning eager to get to work. I would arrive earlier than I had to in order to fulfill my duties as a trial paralegal. Within 6 months, I was promoted. For any aspiring attorney's, Weitz & Luxenberg will give you the training, work ethic, and experience you need prior to entering law school. Working at W&L has changed my life for the better and I would definitely recommend working there.

Cons

The pay is not out of this world but it is fair and substantial. Most paralegals get paid hourly rather than on salary which definitely has its bonuses like the availability for overtime. W&L sees your worth and value, sometimes you just need to let them know and show it.

4 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

I earned invaluable legal experience, made some great friends, and overall really enjoyed working as a paralegal.

Aug 14, 2014 - Paralegal in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a paralegal, you have the opportunity to manage a large caseload, assist at several trials, and work on various legal projects. At W&L, the work-life balance is certainly manageable. The attorneys, paralegals, and staff are friendly and always willing to help. If you are planning to attend law school, the experiences you may earn will prove to be beneficial and helpful. Lastly, I enjoyed interacting with the clients and found their words of gratitude to be rewarding.

Cons

While the salary is low, the legal experience was much more valuable to me. Plus, there is always an opportunity to work over-time.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great firm with an awesome culture!

Nov 11, 2015 - Business Analyst/Accountant in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Weitz & Luxenberg is a great place to work. The firm provides great salary, benefits, and an overall excellent work environment. Also the firm keeps up with modern technology as it utilizes top of the line software to perform everyday tasks. I really like working here because of the following reasons: A) excited about the many opportunities that lie ahead B) the ability to work with bright industry leaders who have a great work ethic C) working with management that really wants to help me succeed. I highly W&L as a place to work.

Cons

I can honestly say my con list is minimal.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

Almost A Year

Dec 5, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

In the past couple of months W&L has taught me so much. My coworkers have helped me grow into my role by mentoring me and always being there to answer my questions. Being able to come into work knowing that the people around me genuinely care about my success makes me enjoy my job so much more.

Cons

I hope to become more involved in meetings with the different departments within the firm. I also would welcome taking on additional responsibilities as I continue to grow in my role.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee

Associate Attorney -- Asbestos Litigation

Sep 29, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Weitz & Luxenberg is a top-notch plaintiff’s firm where you will immediately get hands-on experience defending depositions, engaging in motion practice, arguing summary judgment motions in counties throughout New York State, conducting offensive and defensive discovery, as well as engage in and practice all other aspects of plaintiff’s side civil litigation. The practice itself is busy, and the firm operates on a nationwide level, so you will be doing depositions all over the country. I was an associate attorney at W&L for 1.5 years, and in that time-span I traveled to 10 states to defend depositions, as well as all over New York state (major cities and towns upstate, western NY, Hudson valley counties). Often times you will travel to one state multiple times i.e. Florida. The typical defendants in asbestos litigation range from multi-billion dollar business conglomerates to individual companies performing business in the tens of millions annually. As such, attorneys on the defense side are equally as well trained and good at what they do. This makes the litigation competitive, and you will immensely hone your skills as a litigator quickly. You have to be prepared to perform at a high level. One of the most satisfying aspects of working in asbestos litigation at Weitz was the clientele the firm represents. Your typical client is a lifelong blue collar worker and can be anywhere in age from the 50s to the 90s. These men and women are all truly great people, you can get up every day knowing you are doing good work for good people. Keep in mind this is perhaps the only litigation where virtually all of your clients will be sickly or close to dying. Thus, the litigation is not for the weak-hearted. You’ve got to have a thick skin to do this work, but it is very emotionally rewarding to help these people. What wholeheartedly separates W&L from other firms and companies, is the people. The fellow attorneys, support staff, administration, HR, are all consummate professionals and very easy to work with. I never had an issue in working with anyone from any department, and the general atmosphere at the firm is very positive and easy going. You’re never going to be yelled at, or spoken rudely to, or anything like that, that type of behavior is non-existent at Weitz. Also, the attorneys at the firm are extremely intelligent and easy to work with. You will learn a lot from them and everyone is always willing to help, it’s really a team atmosphere there. Another great thing about the firm is every attorney is able to interview, choose and hire their own paralegal, which is not the case at other firms. Having your own assistant, someone who works with you on all your cases is a tremendous plus and provides a great support system from when you are away at depositions. The work/life balance at the firm is excellent, you can dictate your own schedule and plan events well in advance. You should apply to W&L if you are looking to get large firm experience, work in a busy fast-paced litigation/environment, get hands on training in all aspects of civil litigation right away, and are looking to work in a friendly, positive environment. As far as location goes, you can’t beat it. The firm has its own building at 700 Broadway, one block away from Washington Square Park.

Cons

Just be prepared to perform at a high level. This is top level civil litigation. Mass torts, products liability cases.

10. 4.0
      Former Intern

Legal Intern

Oct 15, 2015 - Anonymous Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

One of the best parts of working at W&L was the exposure to the courtroom. As a legal intern I was able to go into chambers and help prepare for trials which was pretty cool.

Cons

The work environment wasn't that great. People tended to just sit at their desks with headphones in.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 Reviews