Welk Resort Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Jonathan Fredricks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Goal focused with great benefits at every level (in 15 reviews)

• Used to be a great place to work (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • A good amount of upper management on the resort level do not really care about the day to day operation and go through the motions (in 14 reviews)

• This is a growing, dynamic company and it is a fast paced environment with lots of change, in a positive way (in 5 reviews)

"Culture WAS everything."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Welk Resort Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of team members who really care about the resorts and the owners/guests who stay.
    Line level team members work incredibly hard and sometimes overworked to maintain the goals being set by the corporate leaders.
    General Managers across the portfolio have a genuine care and want to see their resorts succeed.
    CEO does have a passion for this industry and what his grandfather built.

Cons

Very little incentive to advance in the business.
    Turnover is at its highest in most resorts due to lack of care from their leadership.
    A good amount of upper management on the resort level do not really care about the day to day operation and go through the motions.
    Corporate teams have a huge disconnect from the resorts specifically on the operations side.
    Resorts are run down and need some help but the focus now is spending more money/expanding and not keeping up what you have.

Advice to Management

Put more effort in your team members, more so the line level ones. They are you life line and they deserve a lot more then they are getting now.
    Spend less on executive pay and invest more into your line level team.

2. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Midwest Logistics Manager in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Midwest Logistics Manager in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Welk Resort Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working under Sterling Edens is great! Worked for him for 3 years now and we have accomplished so much!

Cons

Sometimes communication between management is not kept up.

Advice to Management

Always keep working on communication between everyone. It’s not terrible but communication is key and the better any company is at it will only benefit the company.

3. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative At Welk Resorts in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative At Welk Resorts in Concord, CA

I have been working at Welk Resort Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great money and I get the opportunity to work with awesome people that match my energy. I also love my current job because our locations art places like the Warriors games, Raiders games, A's games and also concerts. It's a very high-paced environment that requires a lot of attention and focus. I love the interactions with the customers because my goal is always to make them love me in the sense by the time they leave.

Cons

Driving from location to location could sometimes be very difficult. Change of seasons slows down a lot of pay due to commission pay.

Advice to Management

None.

"Corporate Office Has Some Big "Challenges""

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in San Marcos, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in San Marcos, CA

I worked at Welk Resort Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits for health, vision, and dental; PTO; 401K

If you are working on the operations side of the resort, there are some great GMs that seem to really care about their employees.

Cons

If you are in the corporate offices in San Marcos, you can expect:

A stressful work environment – it is very much a “watch-your-back” environment. Management team members will not hesitate to throw you under the bus to make themselves look good to the executive team. If you are hourly, expect to have to work off the clock to keep up with your workload. If you are salary, expect to work some 11-12 hour days, regularly, (even on weekends) to meet impossible deadlines.

Little to no opportunities for advancement – the company is very top heavy (lots of managers and directors), so do not expect too many opportunities to grow within the company.

Ethically taxing – the executives in the company turned a blind eye to predatory sales tactics for years because the money was flowing in so easily. Once these shady sales turned into lawsuits, THEN it was time to “clean house” in the Sales department.

Little to no employee appreciation – management and the executive team members do not value their employees. As far as they are concerned, everyone is replaceable.

The “Theory X” management style within the corporate office– managers are very untrusting of employees, and do not think employees have enough intelligence to make decisions on their own. As a result, it takes FOREVER for decisions to be made that should be easy peasy. And even when that decision is made, don't expect it to stick, because it will change a couple of times as they noodle around the ideas for days on end. This will all happen verbally, of course, because no one wants to put any decisions in writing.

Lack of clear and strong leadership – the President/CEO has clearly checked out and appears to no longer care for the company. He used to be a friendly guy that would engage with his employees, ask about their families, but it is obvious that prior year growth and profits have turned him to the “dark side” of Corporate America.

Advice to Management

To the executive team, you have failed this company. Everything wrong with Welk is due to your poor leadership and decision making. You focused so much on increasing sales that you left the rest of the company behind. As the owner base grew and profits increased, you gave Sales anything their hearts desired, while the rest of the company struggled in outdated accounting and property management systems (Epicor & TSW). The worst part is that while Sales was engaging in questionable sales tactics, some employees on the front line reported it to you, but little to no action was taken until it was too late. Organizational ethics begins at the top and you let the company become a black hole of unethical behavior. You were the role models and your actions (or lack thereof) mattered.

If you want to mend manager-employee relationships in the workplace, you need to start listening to your employees. It may be a hard pill for you to swallow, but setup some type of anonymous suggestion box/survey and let the employees really tell you what is going on within the company. It’ll be much more revealing than reading some of these fake Glassdoor reviews that you’ve asked current employees/HR to post on here to boost your company rating.

5. "My experience at Welk has been fun, eventful, and rewarding."

Current Employee - Marketing Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Welk Resort Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work here is the people. I’ve met the funniest, most amazing people here at Welk. The Welk group is generous, welcoming, helpful, supportive, understanding, and hard working. I’ve learned how to be successful at this job, not just from experience, but by listening and watching the people working around me. They always give me tips on how to improve. The Welk group is very diverse and everyone gets along great. I have made life long friends here. Another great reason to work at Welk is the pay. You make your own money here since it’s based off commission. The opportunity to make a lot of money is given to you, but you have to put in the work to earn that money. It’s a pleasure to be able to work at all the events we do. Dodger games, Lakers, Kings, Angels, USC games, Comic Con, Oktoberfest, Coldplay concerts, and so many more. They change as the seasons change, so we’re always getting to go somewhere new. The crowds are always excited, and fun to be around.

Cons

A challenge of working here is getting past the slow season. Being told “No” more times than not can make you feel a little unmotivated. Some events are quicker pace than others so the time you have in front of consumers is limited, for example, half time at a Laker game.

Advice to Management

I like that we have monthly meetings so that we are all up to date on what is happening within the company. I like that everyone can see each other’s performance because it makes me want to work harder. Management does an outstanding job in creating a fun, relaxed, environment at work. I like that even with the amount of freedom we’re given, management can give the team a goal, and we will reach it.

"Company"

I have been working at Welk Resort Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not sure anymore what a good reason is

Cons

Everything, if your on the bottom end they don't care about you.

Advice to Management

Treat those around you how you want to be treated, stop lying to get ahead, stop making excuses for the things that are going on.

"AMS Marketing agent OC"

Current Employee - AMS Marketing OC in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - AMS Marketing OC in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Welk Resort Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, fun employees and good employees to work with. Get to attend a lot of the events we work for and see the events for free since you are working it

Cons

Bad communications, bad management, and some employees can take things the wrong way by little things that you don’t mean, management like punish people they don’t like and play a lot of favoritism

Advice to Management

Don’t threaten your employees that’s why you guys have bad reviews, learn to communicate well, respect your fellow employees and they will respect you otherwise I wouldn’t be surprised if this company goes bankrupt and it’ll be you’re fault for the way you treat your employees

8. "Sales consultant"

Former Employee - Sales in Branson, MO
    Former Employee - Sales in Branson, MO

I worked at Welk Resort Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and product that is best in business.

Cons

Management had lack of experience

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

"Welk"

I have been working at Welk Resort Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The staff I work with

Cons

Often fail to plan thoroughly for changes happening. Insincere, impersonal, agenda driven executive level actions. No vision for the future (5 yr plan that no one seems to have seen or understanding of even the short term outlook). Inability to reward the best employees. Reporting is terrible and causes inability to manage areas of responsibility. Waaaayyy behind the curve in technology (phone systems, CRM's). Massive turnover in support departments with lack of clear communication to supported departments. Unrealistic budgeting causing comp plans to be unrealistic & unachievable. Dismissal/ambivalence to career path desires of employees. Lots of 'lip service' from executive level. No feeling of job security or reciprocation of commitment of the employees by the Company.

"Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator
    Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator

I worked at Welk Resort Group full-time

Pros

PTO
    401K
    Good Benefits (Health, Vision, Dental)

Cons

Within the marketing department, the salespeople in the field are valued more than the supporting administrative team.
    Tedious, repetitive work.
    Bad attitudes towards women, proliferated by upper management.