WellCare Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ken Burdick

Pros
Cons
  • Wish that the work/life balance had been better (in 19 reviews)

• No work/life balance, the culture is to get things done without concern for quality (in 9 reviews)

1. "Lack of Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, great work campus, benefits

Cons

Company does not look out for lower level associates during, Lack of communication & collaboration

Advice to Management

Wake Up, stop being so quick to cash a big check, think about those who actually do the work.

2. "Not a good company for experienced folks"

Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Tampa, FL

I worked at WellCare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

easy going atmosphere , not much growth

Cons

lots of discrimination between employees

Advice to Management

sold to Anthem , you will get good money

"Condesending, poor training!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Pros

The Salary is about average!

Cons

Training is inadequate! I was hired to work on the Hedis program. I prefer a "hands on" practical application type of training. The paper handouts do not cover every scenario. The Supervisor would go through the handouts and then spend the rest of her day at her desk which was no where nearby, not anywhere in sight of our team. There was a project Manager who would be summoned for help when needed but he had about 8 people all in need of help so you had to sit and wait. When you asked a question, he would respond with a "what do you think?" kind of answer rather than just explaining the process. The Supervisor and Project Analyst both had a condescending response when asked a question. There was a lack of respect and understanding. I felt as though I was in high school during our morning meetings. The Supervisor and her crew would come in with Pom-Poms and make us do a cheer before dismissing us from the meeting every day! I have been told by former employees that the company promises the possibility of permanent status however they do regular mass layoffs.

Advice to Management

Hire a more mature Supervisor who is understanding and respectful.

5. "Benefit Consultant"

Current Employee - Medicaid Benefit Consultant in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Medicaid Benefit Consultant in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at WellCare (More than a year)

Pros

Helping people get Health Insurance. Providing knowledge health insurance laws and helping people in need in the community.

Cons

Network problems, Our provider network is not as big as our competition. Problems with paying bills on time. Overcoming bad reputation of Wellcare doctor network

Advice to Management

Looking to get into a relationship building sales opportunity or a management position.

"Not the worst, but..."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere
    Good salary
    Benefits are okay, but don't start for at a minimum of 30 days from employment.

Cons

Way too many teams
    Security team has a blank check
    Have to jump through hoops to get a simple program like Chrome installed on your laptop.
    Don't feel like you are trusted
    Micromanaged
    Change Management is horrid - they make it way more difficult than it has to be
    No apparent standards with regards to system or application configurations
    Lack of, convoluted, or immature policies in multiple business areas
    Senior management/Executive level management has the appearance of a revolving door

Advice to Management

Empower your associates - let them be free to innovate and create, no matter their title or area
    Less red tape
    Adopt standards across all business areas so there is at least some semblance of consistency or conformity of your applications and systems.
    Overhaul your Change Management process.

"Release Engineer"

Former Employee - Release Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Release Engineer in Tampa, FL

I worked at WellCare (More than 3 years)

Pros

Facilities are good. Coworkers are great (for the most part). Employees get to work on a wide variety of software.

Cons

Favoritism is rampant. Managers are chosen by upper management from their buddies without posting the position (as required by their employee manual). Managers regularly lie to their employees.

Advice to Management

Follow the employee manual. Promote people into management from within the group. Reward people for going above and beyond their job duties.

"No Work Life Balance"

Former Employee - RN Care Manager in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - RN Care Manager in Newark, NJ

I worked at WellCare (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team of nurses. Good benefits. Opportunities after 6 months to move up or into other departments.

Cons

Growing pains just like new companies starting in a new area. Team meetings were chaotic. Policies were constantly changing. T

"They take advantage of talent with promises of compensation but never follow through, and only pile more work on you."

Former Contractor - QI Coordinator Senior Clerk in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - QI Coordinator Senior Clerk in New York, NY

I worked at WellCare as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You are made to feel valued by your coworkers and often are praised by your managers/supervisors. There is a level of comraderie that is rate in today's workforce.

Cons

More work than one person can handle, not enough pay, retribution when tasks are incomplete.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff adequately, spread the work equally, don't expect it all to be done at once when it's only one person, and understand that while praise is appreciated we would much rather be compensated for our hard work financially than verbally.

"Little respect for sr. Mgmt"

Current Employee - Senior Support Specialist in Tampa Palms, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Support Specialist in Tampa Palms, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice friendly hardworking colleagues who for the most part behave in a professional manner
    Decent benefits

Cons

Its a well-known and obvious fact that someone on the sr leadership team (who is married with young children) is having an affair with another employee. They have been seen outside of the office (during office hours) alone together numerous times. The guilty parties should resign immediately (if they had any integrity, which obviously they don't) or their employment should be terminated. Not only is this shameful disgraceful unprofessional disgusting and disturbing behavior but it destroys the reputation of the entire organization. It also brings morale down for the employees left in the office having to cover for these slimebags.

Advice to Management

Get rid of sr leadership who have no morals or integrity. There are probably thousands of people who could do their jobs just as well if not better who would not behave this way. It reflects very poorly on the company.

"Constant turmoil"

Former Employee - Director in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Director in Louisville, KY

I worked at WellCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great for entry level and young people who are starting out and want to learn business skills.

Cons

Executive management constantly turns over, including 3 CEOs in 3 years. Many of the VPs have been replaced in the past two years. The strategic focus and direction keep changing when the senior leaders keep changing, creating uncertainty and risking jobs for everyone down the line.