WellCare Reviews in Tampa, FL | Glassdoor

3.5
Ken Burdick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Here at WellCare under the current Executive Leadership Team, I feel that they are taking WellCare to the next level. They care about the members they serve and the associates that do the day to day work. I've been in Healthcare over 25 years - I've worked in Hospitals, Hospices and small companies - WellCare is the best by far. The I.T. team I work with is the best group of people I have worked with in a long time. They care about each other and the success of the team. Our manager is such a good leader and wants to see us all succeed and become great leaders.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Great place to learn and work!"

Former Intern - IT Intern in Tampa, FL
    Former Intern - IT Intern in Tampa, FL

I worked at WellCare as an intern

Pros

Great work environment and coworkers.

Cons

sometimes a little bit laid back

"Clinical review nurse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at WellCare (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, big company. Meet a lot of people

Cons

Not enough growth or minorities in leadership position. Outdated management methods

Advice to Management

Just because someone has been at a job 6yrs doesn't mean that they are qualified for leadership roles. In the same vein just because someone has been there for 1 yr they shouldn't be excluded from leadership if they are qualified

4. "Loving my job and what I do!"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Being able to share my ideas and know they're considered by management. Flexible work schedule, Great teammates

Cons

Health Benefits, Location of the office

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. I truly enjoy working with my coworkers and direct management.

"IT Employee"

I have been working at WellCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for Wellcare for 7 years. Some years have been tough and some have been great. We are definitely in a great year. Since Ken became CEO and Darren became CIO, the leadership has been awesome which leads to a really fun place to work. Salary, benefits, location, amenities, and career opportunities are a plus. Additionally, we have a lot of opportunity to use new tools and new technologies.

Cons

Wellcare is very fast paced, especially now that we are growing so work life balance has always been a problem. Additionally, they could be more consistent with their processes. There are many exceptions that have to be absorbed into an already full workload.

Advice to Management

You are doing a really great job. Keep making progress in the direction you are going and we will get there soon enough

"Wellcare 5 years."

Current Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I believe the company is moving in the right direction to become more competitive in the Health Care industry and working internally to create a more productive and forward thinking work environment.

Cons

Also the company is moving forward changing the culture and how we do business, I believe that enforcement/implementation of these changes are not consistent across the organization and therefore; causes friction between internal and external partners.

Advice to Management

My advise to Management on all levels. Be involved. Your teams aren't here just to execute. Understand what they need in order to be as successful as you need them to be. Additionally, people leaders are associates too. Remember that all levels of management need to be treated as such.

7. "WellCare - The Place to be"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working at WellCare since Nov 2011 and in the last many years I have seen the company grow both in size and ambition.
    Also in the past couple years I have seen the Leadership team focus hugely on their employees be it the introduction of Awards/recognition or multiple events organized to recognize our hard work and dedication.
    I am seeing the company evolve into being competitive both technologically and from the Business aspect with the other healthcare giants.
    Couldn't have asked for a better place to be at.

Cons

There are no cons that I have experienced in the past couple years

Advice to Management

keep up the great work.

8. "All in all a pretty solid and dependable place to be"

Current Employee - Ancillary Coordinator in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Ancillary Coordinator in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, work/life balance is better than working for small companies. You can literally work your way into any field the company is so large. Nationwide campuses, lots of opportunity if you work for it. Pays more than most managed care companies. The culture is fun, lots of activities, volunteer opportunities, and lots of celebrations.

Cons

It's hard to get fired at Wellcare which sounds like a good thing, but when there are employees that barely do any work, they get paid the same and can wiggle their way out of getting canned as Wellcare follows HR rules to the extreme. Meaning if you do your job extremely well, you'll probably end up doing their work. Salary employees are worked pretty hard. Depending on which department you're in, you could be miserable or blissful because some departments set unattainable goals. Outsiders being hired in generally will make more than internal associates.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they are worth and get rid of the slackers.

9. "Unlimited Growth Opportunities"

Current Employee - Business Technical Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Business Technical Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The ability to change departments, which expands employee business knowledge and promotes career and financial growth.
    The strong focus on growth and learning both through WellCare University courses, shadowing, promotions, and applying to new roles.
    The flexibility to work from home and in the office.
    The community focus through workday and weekend volunteering in the community.
    The team building events that boost moral, such as: pot lucks, bowling, Rays games, Top Golf, etc,
    The 8 company holidays, plus the PTO, and the additional 5 days of PTO after 5 years with the company.

Cons

The 401k match is only 1/2 up to 6% of the employee contribution.
    The health insurance is a little expensive.

Advice to Management

Provide detailed information regarding associate performance and clear expectations for growth.

10. "Work experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Going home at the end of the day

Cons

IT management is a good ole boys club. If you aren't in it you won't succeed. Wasting corporate assists and money is rampant across all of IT. New CIO has no clue what is really happening.

Advice to Management

CIO Darren needs to come down off of his throne and take a very realistic look at who he surrounds himself with daily. The mindless yammering of sycophants is going to cost him.