WellPoint Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 22, 2016

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joseph R. Swedish

Pros
  • Good pay;flexible schedule; many good people at worker bee level; able to work from home (in 117 reviews)

• Excellent support, great benefits, work-life balance is highly respected (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be difficult to find a good work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Upper management (Directors) are hired from outside the Company from other industries (in 21 reviews)

1. "They play favorites matters if you are related to someone"

Pros

a great working environment. onsite gym and opportunity to work at home.They can not tell you a head of time if they now of a down size but a boss might say if someone comes and sits in your cub it is bad or if some says and then they say an expression they a re trying to let you know they plan to get rid of you months a head of time. they pick some lame reason tot ell you

Cons

They let a lot of people go for no reason. People can bump you out of your jump from any place in the country due to telecommuting. Alot of people are related some have the same last name. Rumors some people gave favors or cash to keep jobs. When they want you gone they say anything to get you gone. Co workers will gang up on people if they think there is a reduction in a team coming.

Advice to Management

stop playing favorites stop hiring people as they are related to people, supervisors should have done the job they are above. They should answer questions

2. "Nutrition Consultant"

Former Employee - Nutrition Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Nutrition Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WellPoint (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits Incentives such as 401 K,

Cons

Unstable cultural environment and climate; lack good management which includes HR department (bias and lack integrity)

Advice to Management

Support/Train

"Network Management Representative"

I worked at WellPoint full-time

Pros

Great benefits and 401k

Cons

Management and HR aren't there for their employees or have their best intetests at heart

Advice to Management

Care more about your good employees and get rid of the bad ones

""Sick"Point"

Former Employee - Program IT Test Manager/Test Architect in Hilliard, FL
    Former Employee - Program IT Test Manager/Test Architect in Hilliard, FL

I worked at WellPoint full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

opportunities for training, competitive pay, acceptable benefit programs

Cons

WAAAAAY too political, company sacrifices good workers in order to appease those that are "well connected", NO work/life balance

Advice to Management

Try to value your employees as much as your bottom line. After all, you do end up placing a huge investment in them as well!!

6. "RN Disease Management"

I worked at WellPoint full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They will eventuallu lay everyone off.

Cons

Micromanagement to the max, they disrespect the employees greatly. You cant take a break without permissin much less a bathroom break. Wont allow you to be courteous to the customers. High stress environment when it is not necessary.

Advice to Management

Respect and kindness go a long way. Stop micromanaging those under you, they are not puppets and can think for themselves. Listen. Be realistic.

7. "General Accountant"

Former Employee - General Accountant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - General Accountant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at WellPoint (Less than a year)

Pros

sometime free lunch and bday celebration

Cons

finance team lacks experience... when you hire give respect to staff and give them resource to learn the system. Two months to let go a staff shows mangers put there error on subordinate.

Advice to Management

when you hire staff ... show respect and give time to get trained. Manager might have worked at Rogers that does not mean she is fit for the role at wellpoint. I have never seen a manager and CFO at Finance who spend time hiring to let employees go in two months. Overly worked for under paid job, with lack of resource. Occupational Health at Wellpoint needs better staff from Management levels to A/P role.

"Annonymous"

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible remote opportunities, pay is average, pretty good annual bonus.

Cons

This company gets worse every year. Upper management have only their interests in mind. There is zero organization and even less competence about what's going on. There is a re-org every 6 months and the turn-over rate at this company is worse than the restaurant business. People are fired for no reason, or they will quit because they're fed up with the politics.

I've seen great people leave and have witnessed unprofessional and ignorant people remain.

Advice to Management

Try providing direction to your employees rather than act like your paychecks magically make you too good to even have a conversation with those who are managed by who you manage. Information is passed down all too often "on behalf of..", try reaching out and talking to the minions within your team to create a cohesive well-oiled machine. Productivity is possible if you treat those under you with respect. They're they ones who can make you look bad or make you shine. You are nothing but their voices, stop acting like you deserve the royal treatment.

This company will never prevail under so much greed. Maybe you should take some notes from Enron.

"Watch Your Back"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at WellPoint full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary and generally good annual bonus/incentive pay and other benefits. Flexible working conditions, including liberal work-at-home policies in many areas of the business.

Cons

Company allows and perpetuates completely incompetent middle managers to advance up the corporate ladder. I'm not just talking about run-of-the-mill bad management. No, I mean actively hostile persons with absolutely no managerial or people skills.

If you're lucky and land a job with a decent manager, you'll OK here. But if you get shuffled around from one role to another (as many people are) and you get stuck with a manager who - for whatever reason - is the current golden child of upper management, watch out.

I watched the following cycle repeat over and over during my time there:

Various "problem managers" blamed their employees for their own incompetence, often ending up with the termination of their employees in order to protect (at least temporarily) their own hides. Eventually, their own incompetence catches up with them and they're terminated, but not before numerous blameless employees have had their lives upended by losing their jobs.

Nobody wins in a situation like that. The employee loses his or her job, with little or no recourse. The manager loses his or her job, too, and has had the additional burden of having a large corporation support and then rescind its support of the manager's competence. The remaining employees are subject to changes in management and restructuring on a regular basis - every 6 months or so. And upper management loses out as much as anyone, because productivity stinks when this modus operandi is the norm.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what individual contributors have to say. Make it mandatory for all employees to have skip-level meetings with their manager's manager. That won't solve all the problems, but it'll provide quicker insight into the real personalities of their middle managers.

"hyjeu"

Pros

nice pay with no bonus

Cons

depending on mananger will determine your stay

Advice to Management

watch everyone not just those you dont like

"A wonderful company that has gone seriously downhill since the merger in 2005"

Current Employee - Claims Processor III
    Current Employee - Claims Processor III

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work at home program and flex hours for some. Can't really think of any other pros. The cons certainly outweigh the pros.

Cons

Employees are not properly trained and then thrown to the wolves to figure it out for themselves. Of course there is a learning curve... BUT it's held against you during your first annual review because you weren't at 100% production the ENTIRE year. In my decade with the company I've had approx 15 managers! You don't even want to see what happens to your annual review if you have just one audit error in the year. If you did not meet 100% quality for the year, your review and raise are toast. Which the raises are now a joke. Don't expect higher than a 1.5%- 2.5% annual raise. You will not get your annual raise until March anyway. The raises were great until 2008. They "reorganize" the company annually at minimum and even two or three times annually, as they see fit. They continually do MASSIVE layoffs. The reason they do this is so they can bring in new employees they can pay much less than those with any tenure. They will make very slight changes in the definition and duties of your job and repost the position immediately. They are also continuing to send work offshore to several countries. They can pay them lower waves so They can maximize their profit margin. They don't want lifers anymore. They want those who will breeze in and out within 5 years. They are currently performing MASSIVE layoffs nationwide due the breach of 80 million past and current member's data in December 2014 and January 2015. Approx 1,500 were laid off within a day or two. From what we understand, they are laying off approx 8,000 employees. They have to find the money to make up for the millions of dollars they will have to pay due to the breach. The benefits were wonderful but now they are atrocious! The big wigs literally sat at the table with Obama and others in Washington while Obamacare was getting ready to be implemented and they made sure they were very well taken care of. Now the medical policies have high deductibles most of us will never meet annually. So we pay them hundreds of dollars a month just to pay for our own medical expenses! It's a joke! The company continues to whittle away at all the other benefits. For instance, every 5 years we received an additional 5 days of vacation. Sounds great, right? Well, they have decided to cap it at 5 years! After 5 years you WILL NEVER RECEIVE ANY ADDITIONAL VACATION TIME. Period. The company no longer has an annual associate picnic, no longer a Christmas gift, no longer meals to celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas, "Customer Service Week" to appreciate us employees is now a massive joke without even so much as "Thank you." Most of the management is often completely unaware of what we do all day everyday. They've never done the work nor bother to learn the work. They are "above it." Then they implement extremely unrealistic production and quality standards for us. Many of us work through lunch just to make our standards for the day. We are told not to work through lunch, but it's the only way! They treat us as if we are robots. They tell us they are going to change things with the computer systems to help us and in the end it's far worse than where we started. For instance, why do we now have to look a member's benefit details up on THREE different systems when it used to be located in one place? We've asked them to condense it for over 5 years now and every year they PROMISE to do it but never do. They always have excuse after excuse. Upper management tends to be even more ridiculous. They are never responsive to our needs. They don't know what we do to even help us. HR is even worse! If you have an issue, don't even bother contacting HR. They will ALWAYS side with your manager and you're lucky if you even hear back from them. Then the very first thing they do is run to your manager to tattle tail. Honestly, I don't know what some of the HR reps do all day because they certainly aren't helping us. The ONLY time you will see an HR rep is when they are firing someone. They show up with a box to pack the employee's desk up in front of everyone. There is not much room for advancement within this company. It looks that way initially, but it's not true. You will be asked to do duties of your team leads, but it will not get you the promotion to that position. There is far more going on behind the scenes than I can even begin to detail here. BEWARE if you decide to hire on with this company. Anthem, Inc/WellPoint is not a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees! We are not employee I.D. numbers. We are HUMANS! Train management in how to effectively work with their subordinates. Give credit to those of us who come up with ideas, not our managers. Many managers take credit for OUR ideas and work. Taking most of our benefits from us and then demanding far more from us in return is ridiculous. Yes, we value our jobs and are grateful to be employed, but that is not enough to generate positive morale. The morale used to be amazing. This WAS a fantastic place to work. Many of us are truly miserable! We have far too much stress daily and the stress is caused by management, not our job duties. They know we are overly stressed and we ask for certain changes to help not only ourselves, but the entire organization. The requests are met with empty promises it will change, but nothing ever actually changes. It's frustrating and tells us we aren't valued enough to even have our very reasonable requests met. All of these "reorganizations" make us sick with worry. We are CONSTANTLY afraid of losing our positions. I've watched countless co-workers be laid off and fired.