WellPoint Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Joseph R. Swedish

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It can be difficult to find a good work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Upper management (Directors) are hired from outside the Company from other industries (in 22 reviews)

"One actuary's experience with WellPoint"

Current Employee - Associate Actuary in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Actuary in Thousand Oaks, CA

Pros

Intelligent coworkers - strong management - reasonable work/life balance

Cons

operational structure / management structure could use an overhaul - but that is usually the case for any large employer

Advice to Management

focus on the organizational structure and lines of communication - reducing the amount of REQUIRED communication between areas while increasing the overall LEVEL of communication is important so that no area becomes siloed

2. "WellPoint is one of the nation's leading health benefits companies and a great place to work."

Current Employee - Architect
    Current Employee - Architect

Pros

Flexibility with work life balance, fairness within upper management, structured core value system. The benefits here are definitely hard to beat with most other companies and the associates are truly one of a kind.

Cons

There are no downsides that I can think of, I really believe the team I work with and my immediate manager are competent and a pleasure to work with.

Advice to Management

Senior Management within WellPoint and intelligent and competent and a pleasure to work for. They are fair and just and lead a great team of folks here.

"The best Health insurance company to work for and be a part of!"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Business Systems Analyst in Thousand Oaks, CA

Pros

This company works hard at making it a great organization for work for. Salary is comparable to its competitors and benefits are very good. Management in my department are dependable and consistently communicate with staff regarding goals, objectives, recognition, and self improvement. It is important to them that we have a balance between work & home life. I feel lucky to be a part of this organization and hope I will be here until I retire!

Cons

There are a great number of expectations from the employees. After all, we are the largest, most successful Health insurance company in the nation. We need to work hard to stay on the leading edge of our industry and we are also very proud to hold that title. This means working a lot of hours and constantly thinking of creative ways to help our insured members have the best insurance coverage possible!

Advice to Management

Keep leading is a positive direction, remaining role models that we are proud to follow!

"WellPoint is a solid company"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

Pros

It is a solid company based on excellent practices and principles. There is a lot of opportunity for career advancement, working relationships are great, flexible and diversity. WellPoint supports careers with training and certifications. Working with WellPoint offers a lot of opportunity for employees to hone skills with training and on the job work. It also allow opportunity to move within the company and pick up new skills. They are flexible with working arrangements and if possible allow employees to work from home. They keep our customers up front and as our prime responsibility so that we are all reviewed and based on our work performance in relation to how well we perform as a company. We are held accountable but very supported.

Cons

As with any company there are also cut backs that have to be done in order to survive.

Advice to Management

collaborate - this is a big company. Make sure communications are open.

"Excellent company culture!"

Current Employee - Provider Relations in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Provider Relations in Syracuse, NY

Pros

The division that I work out of in Syracuse, NY is excellent! Everyone, from the people cleaning the bathrooms to the most senior of management, is extremely friendly and very helpful with anything you need to do your job better. Everyone is happy to come to work here on a daily basis, and the managers really do everything they can to make the environment productive AND enjoyable. There is a lot of flexibility with time off, and a lot of room for growth and advancement. The company provides generous tuition reimbursement, even for classes not related to your specific job function. The culture here is outstanding! The company really wants people to be the best, enable their associates to be the best, and provide a great place to work at the same time. It is truly refreshing.

Cons

As with the insurance industry, the constant change can be frustrating at times. It is, however, just the nature of the beast.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you're doing!

6. "A great company with many opportunities, a best-kept secret of the Fortune 50."

Pros

WellPoint is positioned to lead the healthcare industry in making changes to improve healthcare for all of us. If being part of an industry leader is important to you, then this is a good place to work. The industry is very complex with multiple opportunities for talented people to contribute, from entry level roles to MBA's and Pharm D's. There are many challenging roles and opportunites to make a difference. I have enjoyed working at WellPoint for over 12 years and have had the opportunity to work in different areas. You make your own career path here by working hard, raising your hand for assignments and doing a good job.

Cons

Like any large company, it will take as much of you as you are willing to give. Therefore, it is important to set your own boundaries for a balanced life or you may find yourself overworked. However, good perfomers can easily set those lines and if you perform they are respected from management, even from the executive level.

Advice to Management

Continue our plan to lead and innovate, and when we are able, consolidate some systems.

"The company I would recommend to my friends"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

flexible time, wide range of opportunities

Cons

Big company with functional approach: too many parties involved in a single project

Advice to Management

Continue treating associates as people and not tools.

8. "Great no nonsense place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY

Pros

Little to no politics, everyone seems to be glad to be there

Cons

Large, difficult to manuver for IT accesses, etc.

9. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Great benefits, Pay, opportunities, company ethics... very impressed with their altruism, diversity, fairness.

Cons

the possiblity of having to travel overseas to 3rd world countries, not always sharing information about changes that are going on.

Advice to Management

be more communicative with staff especially since we are located in different areas of the country.

"The IT staff had an excellent line of communication and cross training."

Former Employee - Solutions Engineer Advisor Senior in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Solutions Engineer Advisor Senior in Richmond, VA

Pros

The telecom team was unusually tight knit, unlike other locations that I have been employed.

Cons

Short contracts, too much turnover in IT creates excessive time lost in ramping up new contractors to the highly complex enviornment.

Advice to Management

Hold onto the great employees! When you outsource too much you loose the heart and soul of a company.