WellPoint Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joseph R. Swedish

Pros
  • Good pay;flexible schedule; many good people at worker bee level; able to work from home (in 117 reviews)

• Excellent support, great benefits, work-life balance is highly respected (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be difficult to find a good work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Upper management (Directors) are hired from outside the Company from other industries (in 21 reviews)

"Beware, career advancement may not exist for you."

Current Employee - Accountant in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Woodland Hills, CA

Pros

The best reason to work for WellPoint? Well, I guess I would love to work at WellPoint if I was unemployed and desperate for a job. Other than that, I don't see any other reason. Once you get here, you will see what I am talking about, and want to go back to your previous job and ask for your job back. People are nice, most are competant an cooperative. Benefits used to be leading in the country! Now, the benefits are in the middle of the pack, maybe even lagging.

Cons

Our department head communicated with us that promotions will be really hard to come by. They said that there better be a darn good reason for the promotion (ie: you've won the Nobel Peace prize for solving the healthcare problem). It's really frustrating to know that I'm in a dead-end career, and at the same time, sacrificing so much for my job. I can't say that all of the departments are like this, but beware, make sure you are clear with what your career opportunities are before coming over. I can only speak for a finance/acctg group within the company.

Advice to Management

Understand that employees are people too, and that this is a two way street no matter what the job market is like.

"Hard work and integrity and experience will get you nowhere here."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Richmond, VA

Pros

Initially, the pay and benefits

Cons

The corrupt culture that gives lipservice to fairness and diversity, but employs unfair, unprofessional tactics to achiev a specific goal.

Advice to Management

If you chose to hire inexperienced, and/or uneducated people to fill your management/senior level positions, you must be willing and able to oversee their day to day activities., lest they continuosly perform in an unprofessional manner and make serious mistakes. It is difficult to work along side of such individuals.

Excellent training and an at least semi-professional attitude goes a long way with with even the lowest level employee. Intimidation tactics are the calling card or inferior/inexperienced management style.

3. "Don't expect to get promoted here."

Current Employee - Case Manager in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Albany, NY

Pros

One good thing about working for a large company is the ability to transfer between offices if you want to live in another state, since the company is in 14 states. Work at home is also available for some jobs.

Cons

Don't expect to get recognized for a job well done. Everyone is given the same score on their performance reviews, no matter how hard you worked.

Advice to Management

Promote seasoned associates who know how to get the job done right instead of youngsters who will make their mistakes at WLP then move on to some other company.

"Numbers more important than Workers"

Former Employee - Federal Employee Customer Service Representative in South Portland, ME

Pros

Amazing benefits including free 24 hr gym, drycleaning / post office great caf. all on site.

Cons

They talk about how much they care about their employees but talk is all it is. They have absolutly no qualms about canning you with precisely zero warnings. It is impossible to maintain any sense of job security. My advice to people applying to Anthem: Keep on your toes and be careful!!

Advice to Management

You have got to remember that these are real people you are dealing with! It doesn't matter you have 30 other applications waiting on your desk ready to replace any of your workers... you owe it to them, as they devoted time during training to at the very least give them a warning or a second chance. I got canned my first week out of training for not having a high enough accuracy average. I passed both tests at an 80 then a 98 qualifying me to pass training, and honest to god they didn't even give me a heads up to let me know I was floundering before they fired me!

"leadership????"

Current Employee - Developer/Consultant in North Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Developer/Consultant in North Haven, CT

Pros

north haven campus is very nice; people at one's level are very nice; salary isn't bad

Cons

management is puzzling; one wonders what they expect; this is possibly due to too many vertical layers; people are mean to subordinates; people are insecure of their standing/importance, so from that comes pettiness and power games

Advice to Management

the CYA strategy will not work for health care reform. be bold. find new ideas and stand by them.

"One of the worst jobs I've ever had. Miserable workplace"

Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Woodland Hills, CA

Pros

- Work from home occasionally
    - Paid education

Cons

- They hire from within, but only the most incompetent people
    - Management is severely disconnected from employees
    - Management has no clue about what employees do
    - Marketing managers don't seem to know anything about marketing!
    - Graphic design teams and writers are treated very very poorly by people who are not fit for their jobs
    - Sort of like working in the tobacco industry - they pretend there's nothing wrong with the status quo

Advice to Management

WellPoint upper management need to hire competent marketing managers who hold actual marketing degrees, candidates who are familiar with advertising, graphic design and the related terminology, ethics, and theory. WellPoint management need to also stop pretending there is nothing wrong with the health insurance industry and cascade propaganda emails to employees that, to an educated person, are absurd. In the interest of full disclosure, I was laid off with a bunch of other people, but these views are the same now as when I worked there.

8. "Unreal"

Current Employee - Marketing in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Marketing in Louisville, KY

Pros

- great pay for little work required - easy to get a good title
    - peers at my level ... survive together attitude
    - PTO time

Cons

- have to be a girlfried or part of the clique to get ahead, otherwise its day by day as to if your in or out of favor
    - real work isn't valued, it just has to sound important. not a place for someone who really wants to achieve something
    - constant reorg ... has people running scared

Advice to Management

get some reall leaders in place. too many have coasted too long.. and have been very clear that they are just hanging on for the stock payouts that happens several time a year

"Started with high self-esteem and great aspirations for job growth to low self-esteem and worry about job security"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Different benefit packages to choose from

Cons

Benefits packages not as good as previous years
    Continuous Reogranization
    Poor Management
    Increased Micromanagement
    No Employee support/respect
    Doing more non-production work tasks
    Concern for job security - always a new face, and all the familiar ones are leaving (terminated?/quitting?)

Advice to Management

Instead of addressing issues within a department by 1) terminating employees 2) moving employees to a different department 3) moving managers to a different department; investigate what the "real" problem in the department might be.

I don't think Angela F. Braly knows half of what some of her employees are feeling. I think they'd be too afraid to speak up. If she spoke to some who resigned, I'm sure they would be willing to speak freely.

10. "They are moving Senior services offshore - been laying off for almost 3 years now."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

Pros

You may be lucky and be the one in America. The goal of the company right now is for every one in America; four employees offshore. I am still in contact with former coworkers and this is true. Senior is stealthily being moved to the Philippines at this time.

Cons

Low morale, fear of layoffs, no upward mobility, in house cliques prevent you from getting promotions, constant changing of managers and shuffling employees around.

Advice to Management

Bring the jobs back from Honduras, Jamaica, the Philippines and India. Shame on you!

"Treated very disrespectfully"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at WellPoint is the decent starting salary and the medical and other benefits provided.

Cons

Some of the downsides of working at WellPoint include: They downright lie to you during the interview. The training seems to be excellent, but, they expect you to know everything too soon. The supervisors are not really there for you. Their coaching is horrendous. They really do not honor home life values as they claim. They expect you to do the job of more than 3 people. They treat most employees disrespectfully. They deduct your use of the bathroom from your allotted break time. The turnover is horrendous. The bottom line: Its a terrible, despicable place to work.

Advice to Management

The supervisors you have need to move on and out of the company. They cannot be trained to be as they should be. They are not capable to treat their employees with respect and dignity. You need to hire more employees to handle the workload properly. Employees are expected to handle too many functions and responsibilities. There is too much information and functions for the employees to know or remember. The employees are burnt out and cannot really handle what is thrown at them and expected of them. Bathroom breaks should be separate from regular breaks.
    New supervisors need to be hired and trained to be respectful to all employees. Employees are people and should be treated as people with respect and dignity.