Wellesley College Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • Beautiful campus, great coworkers, interesting work (in 13 reviews)

• Great work environment and supportive co staff (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Relatively low pay in administration roles, very little opportunity to advance in your career (in 5 reviews)

• low salary (for administrative staff), little room for advancement (for (in 3 reviews)

1. "Wellesley Community Children's Center"

Current Employee - Assistant Preschool Teacher
    Current Employee - Assistant Preschool Teacher

I have been working at Wellesley College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent co-workers, support from other Wellesley college student employees as well as from the certified staff, the class sizes are manageable and he facilities are excellent

Cons

There really aren't any-- great place to work

2. "Office of Admission Review"

Pros

It's an amazing company!
    The other people that work there are great!
    Fair Treatment of students!
    Flexible
    Only Positive things to say!

Cons

A very competitive job.
    Doesn't pay as much as other jobs on campus.
    They made me leave at the end of the day

3. "Pros outweigh the cons at a small liberal arts college"

I have been working at Wellesley College full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits, opportunity to directly influence direction of research

Cons

Dysfunctional Payroll office often leads to skipped paychecks, lots of hassles with HR

5. "A Refreshing Experience"

Pros

There is an excellent sense of community in the office. The instruction from the supervisor is explicitly given and the allotment of daily tasks are very clear.

Cons

There is an abundance of paperwork, but depending on what you enjoy, this can be seen as a pro. Projects change from time to time depending on what the head researcher is working on, so try to catch on quickly and keep your ear to the ground.

Advice to Management

Continue to be mindful and inclusive of students in the office. They look forward to seeing, connecting and working with folx both in and outside of their employer's department.

6. "GSW/General cook/Salad bar"

Former Employee - General Cook/General Service Worker in Roxbury, MA
    Former Employee - General Cook/General Service Worker in Roxbury, MA

I worked at Wellesley College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pays very well, Always room to grow in culinary or any job field on campus.

Cons

Seasonal work. No unemployment while you are laid off, when school is on break.

Advice to Management

If you see a employee that is willing to grow. Encourage that employee to developmental skills to help the company grow in a better work place.

7. "Good students, but employees should be treated better"

Current Employee - Faculty in Wellesley, MA
    Current Employee - Faculty in Wellesley, MA

Pros

- Students are smart and hard-working.
    - Teaching load is reasonable.
    - Monetary support for research is good.
    - Campus is gorgeous. College has a lot of resources for its size.

Cons

- Not enough administrative support. Admins seem overworked and faculty are expected to do most admin work ourselves.
    - Not enough collegiality or opportunities for social interaction.
    - Hierarchies and politics within and between departments.

"Stay away if you are a high achiever ...."

I worked at Wellesley College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

35 hr work week - great if you absolutely need to balance family life. Fridays off in summer. Laid back atmosphere. Nice campus. An excellent opportunity to learn how to deal with absolutely difficult people .... consider this your 'free" PhD in "People Skills" and "Behavioral Management"... why ? See my Cons ....

Cons

Senseless Bureaucracy, insane micromanagement, dysfunctional management, low morale for new staff ... I came to WC with an abundance of skills and experience and a lot to give to Wellesley, which is why, I believe I was hired in the first place. However, I reached the dead end within a few months. The environment claims to hire talented individuals capable of changing the "Status Quo" but they won't take very long to suck you in their so-called "Wellesley Way". Wellesley Way = attend endless and unproductive "meetings about meetings " where the "loud ones" go on-and-on lamenting about "god knows what" with zero or little action at the end of meetings. Senior staff tends to be very insecure when confronted with new ideas, and always need consensus to make up their mind. When your new idea turns into a project and succeeds, they shamelessly claim all the credit, blatantly justifying they were the reasons why it succeeded. If they cant take the credit, the'll either sabotage you or back stab you till you either fail or tear-up and give up. That way, the senior staff stays and the young ones leave - its a vicious cycle.

Advice to Management

Not sure where to begin. Management belongs in the hands of senior staff and they do what they like. I think you have to empower new staff, especially if they come with experience and a background of stellar performance from previous jobs. I feel sorry for the families who use all their savings to pay the premium to send their daughters to Wellesley College , and with that you're paying staff that delivers only 20-50% of what you pay them - in terms of salary and benefits. There needs to be justice somewhere ....

"Can we give Zero stars?"

Former Employee - Development in Wellesley, MA
    Former Employee - Development in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Wellesley College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Um... hmm....Oh, I know!....when the weather is ok it's nice to walk around outside!....oh, and the museum can have interesting exhibits. Ahem.

Cons

What's the maximum word count allowed here?

I'll just summarize...

What they call "Leadership." I would have rather have worked for King Joffrey. In my twenty years of experience I've had several difficult bosses, but this was, by far, the unhappiest, most miserable, lowest, uninspiring, dead, micro-managing, controlling group of people I have ever worked for. I have spent way too much time thinking about the things I wish I had said to my boss.

The buildings are Dickensian, as is the work culture, and I was the whipping boy.
    I was chased in to a corner and reduced to groveling. My sadistic "boss" took pleasure in it, and when I reached out for help my hand was slapped. I had no support or help. After several years of abuse I reached out for help one final time and was suddenly terminated. The message?: Don't ask for help, don't complain, don't breathe. Don't ever ask for more porridge. Ever.

Advice to Management

Stop. Just stop. You have no people skills. You have no leadership ability. You are awful.

To the New President: Hire qualified, competent LEADERS. People who INSPIRE and can bring about POSITIVE change. People who don't waste money and spend ALL OF THEIR TIME in meetings with CATERED LUNCHES and GET NOTHING DONE!

10. "Student worker"

I worked at Wellesley College part-time

Pros

Fellow people, work environment and location. Very accommodating around your schedule.

Cons

Lack of opportunity for growth and like any other college, can get very political.

Advice to Management

Give more opportunities for people at the bottom to grow within the college. More opportunities should be available to everyone.

"summer research intern"

Pros

received alot of insight and mentorship on the ins and outs of presenting research in academia
    had access to the college's usual facilities

Cons

Wellesley has the trappings of any other umc suburb - limited grocery/food options, high-end clothing stores that aren't friendly to a college student's budget, early store closing hours - and the commuter rail can make trips to Boston/Cambridge inconvenient

Advice to Management

it would have been nice to be reminded about the thank you cards for our donors a day or two before the deadline. some of us haven't written cursive since elementary school, and i could've written something legible if I didn't pen my message an hour before it was due