Wellington Management Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wellington Management CEO Brendan Swords
Brendan Swords

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance spiralling downward (in 20 reviews)

• Working hour is too long and they consider 60 hours/week is normal, and you won't get credit for long hours (in 12 reviews)

"Great"

Current Employee - Client Data Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Client Data Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wellington Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Privately owned firm which allows them to take a long-term, client-driven focus and not worry too much about meeting quarterly earnings, etc. It is a collaborative culture; where information sharing and idea generation is welcomed and encouraged. In most cases, it is very much a meritocracy. For the most part, you will find good people employed with a great work atmosphere. The firm offers a generous retirement plan contribution. A good work-life balance is achievable; and with the firm's global focus, there are opportunities to work in and with other regions.

Cons

They could do better about enabling employees to work from remote locations on a permanent basis. Some may find that it is a difficult place to advance ones career due to relatively flat organization structure and competition from external candidates for open roles.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in technology and innovation to better serve clients. Continue to evaluate the clients needs and your offerings to ensure that the client is being served appropriately and that you are providing solutions to their needs. Continue to hire great people, they are your greatest asset and their actions will determine the firm's reputation. Continue to pursue a global footprint. Continue to push the envelope on change and innovation in investment opportunities to achieve the client's desired objectives. Continue to reduce risk and improve efficiency in managing client's assets and servicing clients. Mentor junior employees and help them progress through there career, develop new skills and question the status-quo. Continue to give constructive feedback and build the collaborative culture that exists.

2. "Sr. Systems Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wellington Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People around you are nice and humble, comfortable to work with
    Great profit sharing program and other benefit

Cons

Lack of room for growth
    Not very excited work

Advice to Management

Meritocracy

3. "Fixed Income Trade Administration Co-Op"

Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wellington Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Superb Learning Experience, excellent company culture

Cons

None, I have been working here and I love it

Advice to Management

Keep the learning opportunities open

"Wellington IT"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wellington Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Perceived as high end active asset management firm.
    Profit sharing is good.
    Mature outsourcing model and strong south Asian culture within the organization.
    Over all compensation is OK.

Cons

Too much junk work. You need to support and you need to release that takes a lot of Friday evening time and weekend time.
    Working hour is too long and they consider 60 hours/week is normal, and you won't get credit for long hours.
    Very political environment, you need to hide your opinion in most cases.
    You won't learn any new technology and they force you go as low as they are.
    No respect.
    The product quality ...

Advice to Management

They won't listen anyway. If they do, they would have asked their employees already.

"Conservatatve and Grounded"

Current Employee - Portfolio Services in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Portfolio Services in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wellington Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You'll work with well-educated, talented, and dedicated professionals in just about every group. Everyone from the administrative assistants (who have degrees from top schools) to the portfolio managers/partners is in it to build up the Client, Firm, Self motto. You will be compensated on the mid to higher end of the spectrum, but the 15% profit sharing on your base + bonus makes this place a game changer if you are in it for the long haul. Beautful offices. Wonderful benefits. Focused on one thing: managing money for a fee. No grand ambitions of expanding into services or product offerings for the sake of doing it. Grounded and thoughtful. Rewards merit.

Cons

We have a stuffy, conservative, formal culture. Business casual is not a thing here. Suit and tie every day for men. People, however, are very approachable. It can be hard to move up quickly, because no one ever leaves the firm. It is the norm rather than the exception to see someone at Wellington for well over 25 years.

Advice to Management

We've built a respected, industry-leading quiet giant. As the Baby Boomer generation retires and the X-ers and Millennials are rising into their ranks, you have to create more pathways to leadership and advancement. It is not motivating to have your title listed as "analyst" until you are in your late 30's. The bifrication already exists informally within the roles. Just formalize it with slightly different titles. It makes us marketable professionals and we'll feel more engaged. We have BIG ideas and want to put them to the test quickly. That is a challenge for any storied, conservative company --but especially for Wellington. We love working here and being a part of a fantastic company. Let's lose the ties and move into the 21st century.

"Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Wellington Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Private company; smart people; collaborative; interesting history.

Cons

Culture has changed considerably. The differentiating qualities that made it a special place to work are disappearing. Environment is much more corporate than it used to be.

"A very good company"

Former Employee - Business Development in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Boston, MA

I worked at Wellington Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Incredible culture, everyone on our team worked very hard and were supportive of the team's and company's goals. The company highly values communication, training and investing time in employees. I thoroughly enjoyed my co-workers and direct managers. The time they invest in performance reviews truly helps you build a solid career and build upon your strengths as they put words into action with professional development opportunities. Everyone was very professional and you felt like people worked very hard throughout the whole organization.

Cons

Pay is below average. Worked a very high volume of overtime. They did not allow any part-time work arrangements, but did allow flexible work from home options if you had a solid track record and presence - you had to earn this. There were many growing pains to get good processes in place to be efficient and distribute work but once in place greatly helped the overall performance of the group.

Advice to Management

Management can change often and at the end of my tenure our most senior manager was an extremely poor fit for our team - we rarely if ever interacted with this person and was so removed from our group it seemed a major fumble that they were given this position.

"great long term employer"

Current Employee - Not Disclosed in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Not Disclosed in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wellington Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

wellington takes care of its own. it's a huge place, but on the investment side everyone knows one another. it feels like a smaller firm.

Cons

millennials will have to work harder than they want (it is wall st after all) and will not be promoted as fast as they expect. We lose millennials to frustration because they are very title oriented and expect to be CEO yesterday. but if you put your nose to the grindstone and work hard, add value, you move up and get paid. It's a partnership, so making partner justifies being patient

Advice to Management

We lose young people due to stodgy dress code. visit a tech company to see what new entrants are looking for in terms of office space, perks, and dress. divide by half and deploy at wellington.

10. "Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Wellington Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly smart colleagues. Beautiful office in Boston. Company offers many training opportunities and networking groups, which keeps people connected through common interests.

Cons

Very hard place to start your career at the entry level and make the jump to the next level. Big gap between administrative staff and next level. Administrative Assistants are kept in the title far too long even when the role has expanded beyond just simple Administrative tasks.

Still, I'm giving career opportunities 3 stars because there is so much knowledge to soak in and such smart individuals network and learn from.

Advice to Management

Loosen up on some of the bureaucracy and promote young talent more quickly. You'd be surprised how many would stay on just a bit longer if you did this.

"Wellington IT Review"

Current Employee - IT in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - IT in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wellington Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Opportunity to learn about all aspects of asset management technology.
    * Wellington is a good name to have on one's resume.
    * Great benefits.
    * Collaborative culture.
    * Downtown Boston / Financial District location.

Cons

* High stress, i.e. more work than can be managed, finger-pointing, back-stabbing.
    * Mostly egotistical IT managers. Cross even one (knowingly or unknowingly) and you are done.
    * Lack of transparency in IT management.
    * Lacking innovation. Stuck in old ways of doing things, i.e. the Wellington Way or the highway.
    * Pressure from clients to lower fees as managed strategies (mutual and hedge) not performing as well as indexed strategies.
    * Due to the above, Wellington is no longer the same firm as a few years ago and one can no longer expect to build a career here.

Advice to Management

Advice won't help. IT management is too set in their ways.