Wellington Management Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wellington Management CEO Brendan Swords
Brendan Swords

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be tricky but its doable (in 19 reviews)

• long hours, tough work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

1. "Good company with lots of recent changes"

I worked at Wellington Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome culture; good benefits; strong people to learn from.

Cons

Salary is not competitive for those who grew up in the firm.

Advice to Management

It would benefit the company to take care of the long-timers and not just the new joiners.

2. "Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Wellington Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Private company; smart people; collaborative; interesting history.

Cons

Culture has changed considerably. The differentiating qualities that made it a special place to work are disappearing. Environment is much more corporate than it used to be.

3. "A very good company"

Former Employee - Business Development in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Boston, MA

I worked at Wellington Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Incredible culture, everyone on our team worked very hard and were supportive of the team's and company's goals. The company highly values communication, training and investing time in employees. I thoroughly enjoyed my co-workers and direct managers. The time they invest in performance reviews truly helps you build a solid career and build upon your strengths as they put words into action with professional development opportunities. Everyone was very professional and you felt like people worked very hard throughout the whole organization.

Cons

Pay is below average. Worked a very high volume of overtime. They did not allow any part-time work arrangements, but did allow flexible work from home options if you had a solid track record and presence - you had to earn this. There were many growing pains to get good processes in place to be efficient and distribute work but once in place greatly helped the overall performance of the group.

Advice to Management

Management can change often and at the end of my tenure our most senior manager was an extremely poor fit for our team - we rarely if ever interacted with this person and was so removed from our group it seemed a major fumble that they were given this position.

5. "great long term employer"

Current Employee - Not Disclosed in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Not Disclosed in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wellington Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

wellington takes care of its own. it's a huge place, but on the investment side everyone knows one another. it feels like a smaller firm.

Cons

millennials will have to work harder than they want (it is wall st after all) and will not be promoted as fast as they expect. We lose millennials to frustration because they are very title oriented and expect to be CEO yesterday. but if you put your nose to the grindstone and work hard, add value, you move up and get paid. It's a partnership, so making partner justifies being patient

Advice to Management

We lose young people due to stodgy dress code. visit a tech company to see what new entrants are looking for in terms of office space, perks, and dress. divide by half and deploy at wellington.

6. "Great place to start a career"

I worked at Wellington Management full-time

Pros

Learn from the best in the industry

Cons

None that I can think of

7. "Finance firm that doesn't feel like "finance""

Pros

Great culture, people are friendly and always willing to help

Cons

Company has grown too bureaucratic

Advice to Management

Keep what makes Wellington feel like a small boutique investment firm

8. "Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Wellington Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly smart colleagues. Beautiful office in Boston. Company offers many training opportunities and networking groups, which keeps people connected through common interests.

Cons

Very hard place to start your career at the entry level and make the jump to the next level. Big gap between administrative staff and next level. Administrative Assistants are kept in the title far too long even when the role has expanded beyond just simple Administrative tasks.

Still, I'm giving career opportunities 3 stars because there is so much knowledge to soak in and such smart individuals network and learn from.

Advice to Management

Loosen up on some of the bureaucracy and promote young talent more quickly. You'd be surprised how many would stay on just a bit longer if you did this.

"Wellington IT Review"

Current Employee - IT in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - IT in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wellington Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Opportunity to learn about all aspects of asset management technology.
    * Wellington is a good name to have on one's resume.
    * Great benefits.
    * Collaborative culture.
    * Downtown Boston / Financial District location.

Cons

* High stress, i.e. more work than can be managed, finger-pointing, back-stabbing.
    * Mostly egotistical IT managers. Cross even one (knowingly or unknowingly) and you are done.
    * Lack of transparency in IT management.
    * Lacking innovation. Stuck in old ways of doing things, i.e. the Wellington Way or the highway.
    * Pressure from clients to lower fees as managed strategies (mutual and hedge) not performing as well as indexed strategies.
    * Due to the above, Wellington is no longer the same firm as a few years ago and one can no longer expect to build a career here.

Advice to Management

Advice won't help. IT management is too set in their ways.

10. "Used to be great, has been declining over the last few years"

I have been working at Wellington Management full-time

Pros

Awesome people, culture and large presence. Everyone knows Wellington. Great exposure to investment content.

Cons

Salary is on the low-end, diversity could be better, changing demographic is shifting the strong cultural feel, people are miserable and being laid off left and right. Very little progression for any assistants.

Advice to Management

Come up with a solid plan for changes before communicating it to employees. Change doesn't have to be a disaster like its been for the past year. Also, look to promote more internally, esp from the talented admin pool! All admins/assistants are overqualified for their positions, yet unqualified for "analyst" roles. It's very difficult to stay motivated when you're not seeing performance tied to compensation/promotions. There will be a mass exodus in 2017 if something doesn't change.

"IT Development Mixed bag"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President/Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

Pros

I worked in the Fixed Income team.

One of the toughest Java interviews with a lot of emphasis on core java particularly in multithreading led me to believe I will be doing some pretty cool work.

- Base pay + Bonus + profit sharing makes this one of the best places as far as compensation goes.
    - FT employees has remote desktop connectivity over VPN
    - Top Person who heads the group is very technical and very good to work for.
    - Flexible to large degree for a Financial firm.
    - Great place to learn the Financial vertical if that is what you are looking for.
    - Excellent benefits above par with most companies in the area.

Cons

Having worked my entire career in startups and midsized companies, I found myself a misfit here and quit after 6 months, During the 6 months I was there, I found myself writing plain old JDBC code to move data from one table to another. It was getting quite apparent to me that continuing here would be a career killer.

- Deployments done every other Friday starts at 6:00PM and could go until midnight. So if you are the kind of person that wants to go out with your family for dinner/movies on Fridays, this will be a blocker.
    - FI groups discouraged to use modern java frameworks like Spring. Managers that work under the director strongly oppose popular readymade frameworks like Spring because they don't quite understand its benefits.
    - Too process oriented, everything goes through a very lengthy approval process. This includes new development tools, libraries and technology.
    - Machines are locked down to the point where as an engineer its impossible to download and try new technologies and tools.
    - Lack of choice to opt for another operating system like Linux or MacOS. As a java engineer developing on windows is extremely unproductive for me. While Cygwin makes it slightly better, its not the same.
    - Not motivated to exploit latest advances in databases like big data.
    - Some principals act like bullies and have its my way or the highway attitude towards others on the team. They accomplish this by divulging as little information on a need by basis to other members on the team.
    - One on one meetings turn into status meetings. In the past its always been a way to discuss ways to better communicate and improve the working environment.
    - Formal wear, full suit and tie was boring after a while.

Advice to Management

- When you hire top experienced engineers, ensure that you are giving them challenging work to keep them motivated to stay there.
    - Be upfront about your deployment policies especially if it happens on a regular basis on Fridays and weekends.
    - Provide options other than Windows, for engineers.
    - Ease up on the full suit policy especially for Engineers.